The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL selling out more arenas than the NBA

I've never been a fan of basketball to be honest, whenever I watch it, it just seems so boring. I've never been good at playing it either, because I'm so short. <_<

i started eatting skittles per day since I was 20. I am not 7 feet tall and growing. Skittles works and now I can finally play basketball in public park .

I stopped watching the NBA because:

The Grizzlies get sold not to a local ownership group. But to a scumbag who says he'll try and keep the team in Vancouver and moves it at the first chance he got.

Because as much as we b!tch about NHL refs, the NBA refs are God awful. If you're on a losing team going against a winning club with superstars, you will be on the losing end of all the calls. NCAA is far better basketball, and the games are called the way they are supposed to, including...gasp... travelling.

The NBA may have a better TV deal, but I can't watch a game that you can pretty much wait until the final 2 minutes and you've seen most of the game. Clearly the owners don't care anything about the fans, because the moment they don't get the stadium deal they want they move the team.

Ghost, remember that game against the Lakers, when the clock took about 15 seconds, when there was about 8 on the clock. No review, the Grizzlies could only take their lumps and move on to the next game. Don and Jay were speechless, but that was the NBA, and as Poirier used to say, those ticky-tack fouls never went the Grizz way. So many others like that one, which made close loses moral victories.

you want the players to deliver fries at you everytime they made a dunk or something? :D

anyway I kinda agree, Nba is becoming boring lately... but I think it's mostly because the league is trying to control the result of the game too much..

Everything is predictable these days.. the big city will win the championship and the small franchise will suffer. Players gather in the same franchise for easy cup instead of stickign to their team and make them better. And holy crap don't get me start with the way they handle the playoffs with all those freaking phantom calls and crap. It's just free throws after free throws when the ref need one team to catch up. Remember dwayne or Lebron and their 20 free throws each day in and day out in playoff games?

the ref scandal certainly doesn't help either..

and you know what is sad? NHL is heading in exactly the same direction...

Heat last 2 championships haven't been rigged tho They still get "superstar" calls tho but that happens in every sport. Teams like the raptors have to work alot harder cause they won't get those calls.

I like the NBA. Always have. Love college basketball. Love hockey too. Not sure why there has to be a competition and when it comes down to it, the NBA and a lot of other leagues have national television contracts that are exponentially bigger than what the NHL has. But the NHL is doing well also.That's good. I want them all to succeed.

My favourite may be college football and they had a hard time selling out the BCS games this year. Makes me think the economy is down and the strong loyalty the NHL has in a lot of it's US markets keeps those buildings full. They may not have a lot of fans but they are loyal.

The Lakers and Celtics are down. They won't be for long and the NBA will burst again. It is cyclical.

The NFL didn't sell out 3 playoff games last week including one in Green Bay. Well I guess they technically did but it required blackout extensions and corporations buying large chunks of tickets last minute. I guess they are on their way down hill!

Heat last 2 championships haven't been rigged tho They still get "superstar" calls tho but that happens in every sport. Teams like the raptors have to work alot harder cause they won't get those calls.

I find that frustrating. The Raptors have one of the best fan bases in the league even though they have sucked for so long. It is a great atmosphere. By far one of the best in the NBA but even at home they don't get calls.

I have recently become a Raptors season ticket holder again after lapsing for a few years and I love the current team.

I still refuse to pay to go to games. Why are people in Vancouver paying 4, 5, and 6 times as much as Phoenix? Until they start paying for their tickets, and stop bitching about a $20 parking ticket, I'll stay at home and watch. Got tickets to the Flyer game, price on the tickets was $320, good grief!

This has nothing to do with Bettman growing the game, its about Canadians paying the highest prices to go to games.

As much as our prices suck we live in a market economy and they will raise the price up to the point where sellouts stop. Which they should or else they are losing 'free' money.

Its completely logical and is not 'unfair' at all. It might seem like it to some of us, as a student my self of course I wish the prices were cheaper. But if they were getting less a ticket then possible that would mean they would be worth less then market value and another owner would come and buy team for cheaper then market value and raise the prices.

As for bettman I love what he has done in terms of growth, I do want a investigation into ref parity.

Also he is doing nothing that he wants to, he is the 'spokesperson or lawyer' if you will of the owners in the nhl. That being said the people you should redirect your hate for is the owners not the figurehead.

I'm 6'7 but unfortunately have always thought bball sucked a$$.

Not surprised the nba sells out less often. I've never watched a whole quarter of one game let alone a whole game. Why would anybody want to? Is it the suspense that a guy might score on the offense? Any sport where defense is illegal and you lose exclusively by missing and/or obvious ref intervention does not a fun time make.

Having said all of that ...... Does the NBA stoop as low as $12 ticket+beer promos to try and sell tix in their weakest markets?

Archived