The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things i wanted to say on the phone on the TEAM 1040 yesterday but couldn't

vanhalendlrband

Basically heard the same old undereducated talk of what the Canucks weren't and how the injury ridden 2011 team is still together and thats why this and that psyhcologically and i was like this is balogne.

First things first about the 2011 finals, Dan Hamhius was just selected to Team Canada, an all-star, he was not playing for the majority of that series and when he did come back he played hurt. We had mostly a minor league defensive squad for the final four games and that was just the luck of the draw. But we proved when we have a nearly full lineup like last time when we played Boston last time and we beat them, just like every time and the first half of the series proved against Boston that we rock Boston when we have our full lineup, plain and simple!

Secondly, this team is severely injured right now and what happened to Burrows when he was trying to recover from injuries and get up to game speed (why he wasn't scoring) was totally unbelievable and even when he wasn't scoring his play was very valueable to our team. You throw in the loss of Ryan Stanton whose been incredible this year, Alex Edler whose always a major part of the Defense and a Team Sweden all-star. He's out, then you have Luongo out for a few games altho it wasn't Lacks fault as every game has been close, then we played a game without Higgins, we also have an injured Henrik clearly. Ssedins fitness tests were the best of the group, they still have it and they can tear it up at any time but i think Daniel has been relying on a hurt Henrik and they haven't been able to make their chemistry work very well with what he's capable off while injured like this.

I really think Henrik should sit it out and get better, we need him for the playoffs, we don't need an ironman streak.

Then what amazes me is 2 of the games were basically a tie. Winning a shootout or losing one has no bearing on how well you will perform against that team in a 5 on 5 OT. Its a skills competition, that of course Pittsburgh would win. Its pretty easy to win when you have the best players and no defense to stop them. Its a skills competition, thats it it proves nothing. I'm pretty sure with a full lineup pittsburgh doesn't even stand a chance in that game given how it was 2nd 3rd liners tearing it up in that game, what do they do wit ha healthy Henrik and a healthy defensive core to stop Crosby at every turn? Shootouts do not tell me how well the Canucks are going to do in the playoffs.

Then we have an Overtime Loss to Anaheim in a game where Anaheim was getting away with murder all game. Lets not be blind about it here, there is clearly some kind of ref favoritism in some of these games, happened a lot against LA in 2012 (the one wear Daneil Sedin wasn't healthy enough for most of it and probably played hurt so that didn't prove anything either on how well we d do with the sedins uninjured and rolling, we'd beat them like we beat them 2 years before. People forget, we already knocked the Kings out once before, and we had a healthy lineup, we would do it again with all our key players rolling. Its like how far do you think Boston would've got in 2011 without Chara even? Like just Chara, i bet you anything they're not even past the 1st round without him. Sometimes that one player does make the difference, like Bure did for us in 1994, its real, its dam real. I hate when people don't want to talk injuries, but in all reality when the team is not injured they rock everybody, and they proved that without all their players in December. That can ONLY LAST SO LONG with a DEPTH LINEUP! This was BOUND TO HAPPEN, i just laugh at all these naysayers.

Listen to me right now, the Canucks are going to pull a 1994 thing a gain, we might be injured a bit longer, possibly pick up a decent right wing that can become a superstar while playing with the Sedins (something we haven't really had since Anson Carter, and who knows if we did actually keep him he might still be playing with them, he was almost their perfect fit IMO it hurt both us and him to have him leave) and then get the lineup healthy just in time and bam we are the deadliest team in the playoffs and mark my words, we're not waiting any longer, and i'm not waiting any longer we are winning it this year.

As little hope I actually have for this season, a positive attitude and outlook has a better chance of helping than a negative attitude or outlook.

I don't believe in superstition, but I feel that negative energy has an affect on people, and that could be part of why things are snowballing right now for the team.

Dan Hamhuis didn't come back after getting hurt in the finals.

Sorry to say, but we were a better team in 2011 - healthy or not. Mostly because the guys we still have were right in their prime. Everything clicked, and we dominated the league...but were did in by injuries in the end.

Now we're no longer dominant. We are more of a 2nd tier team - we'll make the playoffs, and maybe even win a round or two - but we'd have to get incredibly hot lucky to have a shot at winning.

How lucky? Look at how the Kings won. Didn't lose a single defenseman for their whole run! The top seed had both their leading scorer and starting goaltender playing hurt! Then they got Phoenix and Jersey in the last two rounds - small, lower seeded teams that they could easily dominate physically, who didn't have enough depth/speed/skill to fight through.

Could something happen like that for Vancouver? Sure... But the smart money is on Anaheim and/or St. Louis to come out of the West.

If you truly believe that the refs are never the reason, then you don't even watch the games. You must be a minor league wanna be ref, or a troll.

they aren't, it all evens out. non-calls go our way too sometimes

idiots on here act like we always lose cause of the refs

they aren't, it all evens out. non-calls go our way too sometimes

idiots on here act like we always lose cause of the refs

When a league's officiating is this bad, they should be proactive and try to make it have some consistency. At least admit that officiating is poor in the NHL. I can't stand it, myself.

If you read my comment again, I said "If you truly believe that the refs are NEVER the problem.........

That's ok, they say english is the toughest language, and only call me an idiot if you aren't.

I just wanted to say, I think our team is doing pretty good. All in all, new coach, new system, they have shown that they can play with anyone. They have won against the top teams and lost against them. I believe they need to clean up some of their play, but I am really optimistic about this team. I like a lot of things about this team.

If you read my comment again, I said "If you truly believe that the refs are NEVER the problem.........

That's ok, they say english is the toughest language, and only call me an idiot if you aren't.

I just wanted to say, I think our team is doing pretty good. All in all, new coach, new system, they have shown that they can play with anyone. They have won against the top teams and lost against them. I believe they need to clean up some of their play, but I am really optimistic about this team. I like a lot of things about this team.

they're the reason for us sometimes as well as against us, sometiems we do blatant crap and get away with it too so don't complain when they don't call something on the other team

OP, there is no way we are winning a series against LA,SJ,Blackhawks or the Blues.

let's face it we just aren't good enough, I love the Sedins but let's face it Daniel isn't what he was. So to say they can tear it up when they want to is a bit of a dream.

Basically heard the same old undereducated talk of what the Canucks weren't and how the injury ridden 2011 team is still together and thats why this and that psyhcologically and i was like this is balogne.

First things first about the 2011 finals, Dan Hamhius was just selected to Team Canada, an all-star, he was not playing for the majority of that series and when he did come back he played hurt. We had mostly a minor league defensive squad for the final four games and that was just the luck of the draw. But we proved when we have a nearly full lineup like last time when we played Boston last time and we beat them, just like every time and the first half of the series proved against Boston that we rock Boston when we have our full lineup, plain and simple!

Secondly, this team is severely injured right now and what happened to Burrows when he was trying to recover from injuries and get up to game speed (why he wasn't scoring) was totally unbelievable and even when he wasn't scoring his play was very valueable to our team. You throw in the loss of Ryan Stanton whose been incredible this year, Alex Edler whose always a major part of the Defense and a Team Sweden all-star. He's out, then you have Luongo out for a few games altho it wasn't Lacks fault as every game has been close, then we played a game without Higgins, we also have an injured Henrik clearly. Ssedins fitness tests were the best of the group, they still have it and they can tear it up at any time but i think Daniel has been relying on a hurt Henrik and they haven't been able to make their chemistry work very well with what he's capable off while injured like this.

I really think Henrik should sit it out and get better, we need him for the playoffs, we don't need an ironman streak.

Then what amazes me is 2 of the games were basically a tie. Winning a shootout or losing one has no bearing on how well you will perform against that team in a 5 on 5 OT. Its a skills competition, that of course Pittsburgh would win. Its pretty easy to win when you have the best players and no defense to stop them. Its a skills competition, thats it it proves nothing. I'm pretty sure with a full lineup pittsburgh doesn't even stand a chance in that game given how it was 2nd 3rd liners tearing it up in that game, what do they do wit ha healthy Henrik and a healthy defensive core to stop Crosby at every turn? Shootouts do not tell me how well the Canucks are going to do in the playoffs.

Then we have an Overtime Loss to Anaheim in a game where Anaheim was getting away with murder all game. Lets not be blind about it here, there is clearly some kind of ref favoritism in some of these games, happened a lot against LA in 2012 (the one wear Daneil Sedin wasn't healthy enough for most of it and probably played hurt so that didn't prove anything either on how well we d do with the sedins uninjured and rolling, we'd beat them like we beat them 2 years before. People forget, we already knocked the Kings out once before, and we had a healthy lineup, we would do it again with all our key players rolling. Its like how far do you think Boston would've got in 2011 without Chara even? Like just Chara, i bet you anything they're not even past the 1st round without him. Sometimes that one player does make the difference, like Bure did for us in 1994, its real, its dam real. I hate when people don't want to talk injuries, but in all reality when the team is not injured they rock everybody, and they proved that without all their players in December. That can ONLY LAST SO LONG with a DEPTH LINEUP! This was BOUND TO HAPPEN, i just laugh at all these naysayers.

Listen to me right now, the Canucks are going to pull a 1994 thing a gain, we might be injured a bit longer, possibly pick up a decent right wing that can become a superstar while playing with the Sedins (something we haven't really had since Anson Carter, and who knows if we did actually keep him he might still be playing with them, he was almost their perfect fit IMO it hurt both us and him to have him leave) and then get the lineup healthy just in time and bam we are the deadliest team in the playoffs and mark my words, we're not waiting any longer, and i'm not waiting any longer we are winning it this year.

And Bam we are the deadliest team in the playoffs if we acquire a line mate for the Sedins...

Um can you imagine this team going up against LA,Blues or Anaheim for seven games? Trust me I love the Canucks but I'm being realistic here when that level of intensity rises in April unless we suddenly get a few 220lb players in this team we ain't doing squat!

We'll be pushed about and worn down by any of those said teams above especially when the refs let that little bit extra go.

I'm all for being optimistic but your statement is delusional.

They have to attract attention somehow. You can't blame them for attempting to create some positivity out of this abysmal club. Who would want to hear them nag everyday?

Abysmal? Come on! To use this type of language implies the Canucks are horrible or an awful team. We know that's not true. It's not like this team is as hopeless as the Sabres, Islanders, Jets, Oilers or Flames. Those teams are truly abysmal at this moment in time.

It's easy to call the Canucks that, sure, due to the weak areas of their game. It's harder, however, to give them credit for the things they do right or for what they've already overcome.

Trust me, I get it. It's easier to say the "this abysmal club" than it is to say, "hey, this team isn't as bad as I thought." Are they abysmal? In certain areas of their game right now? Yes. Overall? No.

I know you get that. Just saying. :)

Archived