The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sens GM Murray to sign long-term deal

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-sens-gm-murray-to-sign-long-term-deal/

Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray has agreed to a long-term extension that will keep him as the GM for at least another two years, and a significant role with the organization in the years following, according to the Ottawa Sun.

It’s believed the deal will be confirmed Monday.

The news comes a day after assistant GM Tim Murray accepted the GM job with the Buffalo Sabres. With Murray’s departure, it’s believed the Senators will also announce Monday that Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will be named assistant GM’s.

The 71-year-old GM’s contract with the Senators was set to expire on July 1.

Murray has been at the helm since 2007. He was the head coach of the Senators from 2005-2008, taking the team to the Stanley Cup final in the 2006 season.

What do you guys think? I believe it's a sure positive for Ottawa considering all that Murray has done for them. An excellent GM in my eyes and a great day if your a Sens fan.

I hate to say it but I don't see the Sens going anywhere unless they alter their philosophy on an internal cap. In the new NHL you need to be able to have the cap space to sign free agents for depth and with Ottawa's restrictions they will never be able to become a legitimate contender. Murray has a tough job to do, its the same job Poile is doing in Nashville. These teams will try to load up for one good year and then disappear back into mediocrity.

I hate to say it but I don't see the Sens going anywhere unless they alter their philosophy on an internal cap. In the new NHL you need to be able to have the cap space to sign free agents for depth and with Ottawa's restrictions they will never be able to become a legitimate contender. Murray has a tough job to do, its the same job Poile is doing in Nashville. These teams will try to load up for one good year and then disappear back into mediocrity.

I think they're building a winner in Nashville.

I think the trade for Andy, plus the drafting of Karlsson were the catalysts for the Sens turnaround. Unfortunately, things haven't been quite a rosy of late.

The Alfie situation put a bit of tarnish on the shine and although he landed a terrific replacement in Bobby Ryan, the team hasn't responded this season.

It goes to show what a difference goaltending / team defense makes. The combo of Anderson and Lehner are ahead of only the Isles and the two Alberta teams in GA/G. The Sens are also near the top of the league in giveaways and near the bottom in blocks. Not a recipe for success.

That being said, Murray has done well with limited resources. Deserving of the extension, IMO.

Archived