The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Value of Michael Del Zotto

This was brought up last night during intermission by the SN panel. A lot of pluses for him especially as he is on the outs in new York and has been scratched a few times.

he is small, quick comparable to Ehrhoff and has a decent cap hit. Only 23 years old and excelled under Torts.

They debated him coming to Vancouver. He is a small D, fast solid PMD and would be a lot cheaper than Campbell or obviously Subban.

So what do you give up for him?

Hansen straight across? Burrows maybe? Please do no insert Booth into this conversation as AV and Booth didn't work at all. Like seriously at all

Remember MDZ is on the outs in NY and should be fairly cheap to acquire.

Any chance the NYR would do a prospect(s) and pick(s) package for Del Zotto?

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Garrison

Del Zotto - Bieksa

Getting MDZ would allow us to trade Edler for that top six forward. Either way that is a stacked defence.

This was brought up last night during intermission by the SN panel. A lot of pluses for him especially as he is on the outs in new York and has been scratched a few times.

he is small, quick comparable to Ehrhoff and has a decent cap hit. Only 23 years old and excelled under Torts.

They debated him coming to Vancouver. He is a small D, fast solid PMD and would be a lot cheaper than Campbell or obviously Subban.

So what do you give up for him?

Hansen straight across? Burrows maybe? Please do no insert Booth into this conversation as AV and Booth didn't work at all. Like seriously at all

Remember MDZ is on the outs in NY and should be fairly cheap to acquire.

My impression is that he is a puck mover in the calibre of a Hamhuis, or a Tanev. Guys who can get to the puck and make a good first pass. His offensive instincts are probably better than Tanev, but only on par with Hammer. His high is around 40 points on a good team. Included is decent but nothing special in terms of shot or being a PP QB.. Thats really just a good mobile defenceman.

Nor is he as good defensively in comparison to Tanev or Hammer. Which is why he is on the outs with AV.

Most importantly he does not have that elite gear of speed, nor any world class stickhandling. What we need, both getting out of our end, and on the PP is a guy who cannot be stopped one on one. When have we seen our PP point man undress pressure, advance the puck and break down the D? There is not always a passing lane or one for a big shot. We need someone who can create it.

The term PMD is being used too loosely with Del Zotto. This is not a guy with the potential to be a Campbell.

In terms of value, he is still a 40 point D man and 23. That, for better or worse, is still more than a Hansen.

The next question is where do we play him? He would presumably take Stanton's spot. So I suppose you offer Hansen and Stanton. Thats what it would take, not a fit for us IMO. Rangers want an established top 4 D back, but who is going to rescue them? We saw how that played our with Lou.

He does not give us any advantage we don't have with Hammer, and is not as good as Edler. And we take the toughness that Stanton brings out of our line up. I'm really not sure why we bother.

My impression is that he is a puck mover in the calibre of a Hamhuis, or a Tanev. Guys who can get to the puck and make a good first pass. His offensive instincts are probably better than Tanev, but only on par with Hammer. His high is around 40 points on a good team. Included is decent but nothing special in terms of shot or being a PP QB.. Thats really just a good mobile defenceman.

Nor is he as good defensively in comparison to Tanev or Hammer. Which is why he is on the outs with AV.

Most importantly he does not have that elite gear of speed, nor any world class stickhandling. What we need, both getting out of our end, and on the PP is a guy who cannot be stopped one on one. When have we seen our PP point man undress pressure, advance the puck and break down the D? There is not always a passing lane or one for a big shot. We need someone who can create it.

The term PMD is being used too loosely with Del Zotto. This is not a guy with the potential to be a Campbell.

In terms of value, he is still a 40 point D man and 23. That, for better or worse, is still more than a Hansen.

The next question is where do we play him? He would presumably take Stanton's spot. So I suppose you offer Hansen and Stanton. Thats what it would take, not a fit for us IMO. Rangers want an established top 4 D back, but who is going to rescue them? We saw how that played our with Lou.

He does not give us any advantage we don't have with Hammer, and is not as good as Edler. And we take the toughness that Stanton brings out of our line up. I'm really not sure why we bother.

Actually I'd offer Hansen straight across for him and then attempt to flip one of our D men in either a package or part of a must have rental for an eastern team on the bubble. If he is nothing more than a good stop gap for a season or two why not.

He is 23 years old, and did quite good with Torts. What surprises me is a 23 year old on the market! You don't see that much so the potential is there for him to become a star.

Hansen, Weber and a 2nd 2015 for Del Zotto. I'd give more if that isn't enough.

Edler, 3rd for Stepan, MDZ, 7th

2nd, Grenier, Booth for Jagr

Sedin - Sedin - Jagr

Higgins - Kesler - Santo

Burrows - Stepan - Hansen

Dalpe - Richardson - Kassian

Weise

Hamhuis - Tanev

MDZ - Garrison

Stanton - Bieksa

Weber

Yes please.

although I don't mind the idea of trading for him, unless we get a top 9 forward as part of a package with Del Zotto included than really what's the point in trading for him? Right now we need offence far more than defense, and the idea of dealing the trading chips we have for an area that is already strong feels like a waste. If we could get Zuccarello or Stepan in return than for sure it makes sense...but that would be a pretty big trade.

Actually I'd offer Hansen straight across for him and then attempt to flip one of our D men in either a package or part of a must have rental for an eastern team on the bubble. If he is nothing more than a good stop gap for a season or two why not.

You could try? I think its a bit low.

I repeat, a 40 point D man is always worth more than a 40 point forward. MDZ has 37 and 41 point NHL seasons under his belt, is just 23 and the club retains RFA rights.

Good luck...

You could try? I think its a bit low.

I repeat, a 40 point D man is always worth more than a 40 point forward. MDZ has 37 and 41 point NHL seasons under his belt, is just 23 and the club retains RFA rights.

Good luck...

the panel was really dragging his value down the way they were talking the other night. Again, just questioning his actual value

the panel was really dragging his value down the way they were talking the other night. Again, just questioning his actual value

Yeah I know.

Did not help when "panels" contributed to Lou's value when everyone knew we had to trade him. If I'm NYR's, its still hard to give him up for less than he's worth. I'd ride it out if thats all i get. They still have more leverage than we did, RFA and such.

Like with Lou, the trade should have been made before it became public. Would have got more by going in early, but got more holding on to Lou than giving him up.

Id do Edler and Corrado for Stepan and Del Zotto

mid picks added to balance if needed

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Stepan-Kesler

Hansen-Santorelli-Kassian

Hamuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Stanton-Del Zotto

Top 6 forward for a Top four d, swap of young d men, corrado is less proven but coaches will playa role in deal, AV likes corrado refuses to use del zotto

just thought of this quick nt even sure what exactly i think of the trade

EDIT:

Prolly undervaluing stepan, but hey im a homerrrr

Archived