The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eastern Conference improving against Western Conference

xshaw

This post was inspired by the Eastern teams going 6-0 tonight against the West. For the last little while I've kept my eye on the results of East vs West matchups. We all know that the West has higher quality teams and that the records have shown that all year, but as the season goes on, the Eastern teams are catching up.

In October, the West dominated the cross-conference matchups, going 54-23-9 (0.680 wpct). In November, they still performed almost as well, going 45-20-9 (0.669 wpct). With OT/SO games, the East still finished under .500, going 29-32-13. This resulted in the Western conference having something like 9 out of the top 10 teams in the league at one point in mid-November.

But in December, it was a little more balanced. The West still came out on top with a 35-22-10 record, but with OT/SO losses, the East finished with a record of 32-28-7. In January, it has been East dominating the West with a 26-9-2 record (0.730 wpct!). The East has been improving every month against the West, but the West still has 9 out of the top 13 teams in the overall standings, but those other Eastern teams are not too far behind.

I remember a couple months ago, watching one team's (Eastern conf) telecast, and they were talking about the difference in West vs East, and the colour commentator said that it will average out between the two. I didn't think it would, but it turns out it has. Do you think it's just coincidence? Averaging out? Or do you think the Eastern teams are learning how to play against the West?

The West is still stronger by far. Maybe it's due to the amount of travel the West has to do that has allowed the East to catch up ever so slightly during their matchups. By now most of the Western teams will have travelled nearly double the mileage that a majority of the Eastern teams have all year

I think the west is much better. I read on THN about it and they said in the last couple of years its been mvps and top scorers coming from the east but the cups from the west because the west stresses more on systems and good defense and the east is a lot more open.

At one point, the 1st place Pittsburgh Penguins wouldn't of qualified for a playoff spot if they were in the West.

West>East

Penguins are 10-2-1 against the West.

Attribute this to simple attrition imo. The West is beating each other to a pulp and has by and large done all their travelling to the East.

Wearing down and worn down teams lose against teams that skate.

So Eastern teams don't beat on each other and they don't travel West? *confused*

Penguins are 10-2-1 against the West.

So Eastern teams don't beat on each other and they don't travel West? *confused*

No the west has travelled far more than the east. And the west plays much more physically. The eastern teams by and large are just now beginning their western swings where as the western teams have already had their vicious travel through the east.

Just saying the west is more road weary at this stage. After the olympic break things will correct themselves

No the west has travelled far more than the east. And the west plays much more physically. The eastern teams by and large are just now beginning their western swings where as the western teams have already had their vicious travel through the east.

Just saying the west is more road weary at this stage. After the olympic break things will correct themselves

As far as the physical play consider me ignorant. Prove this to me.

As far as travel goes I feel it works the other way around. Western teams do travel longer distances more regularly given simple geography but because of this they are more adapted it to this lifestyle. Eastern teams are more accustomed to tame traveling. For example the Flyers rivalries... as far as simply driving goes... The Devils are an hour and a half away, the Rangers are 2 hours away, the Caps are 2 hours away, the Isles are 3-4 hours away, the Pens are 5 hours away, etc.

Now wouldn't it be harder for a team like that to suddenly up and start the vigorous travel schedule through the west compared to a team that does that regularly going to the East and barely moving around offering much needed relief? If anything I feel it benefits the West.

As far as the physical play consider me ignorant. Prove this to me.

As far as travel goes I feel it works the other way around. Western teams do travel longer distances more regularly given simple geography but because of this they are more adapted it to this lifestyle. Eastern teams are more accustomed to tame traveling. For example the Flyers rivalries... as far as simply driving goes... The Devils are an hour and a half away, the Rangers are 2 hours away, the Caps are 2 hours away, the Isles are 3-4 hours away, the Pens are 5 hours away, etc.

Now wouldn't it be harder for a team like that to suddenly up and start the vigorous travel schedule through the west compared to a team that does that regularly going to the East and barely moving around offering much needed relief? If anything I feel it benefits the West.

The west has the larger teams by and by. Much harder grinding type of play in the west. Fewer teams like the Hawks where skill is everything. Compared to teams like the Habs Wings Pens Bolts Panthers and so on. Smaller teams more dedicated to skill and skating

Travel. Outside of really California, every team int he west needs to put on some significant mileage to even play a game. Unless we play Cali teams we change time zones once sometimes twice just to play a game then change time zones again coming home.

Eastern teams rarely if ever leave their time zones. As a person who has traveled extensively that affects you over time. We board a plane every single time we play a game, we suck in fake atmosphere in a compressed tube 30,000 feet about the earth. Back east as you said, much easier to hope in your car or on a bus and travel an hour or two to play a game.

The west has the larger teams by and by. Much harder grinding type of play in the west. Fewer teams like the Hawks where skill is everything. Compared to teams like the Habs Wings Pens Bolts Panthers and so on. Smaller teams more dedicated to skill and skating

Travel. Outside of really California, every team int he west needs to put on some significant mileage to even play a game. Unless we play Cali teams we change time zones once sometimes twice just to play a game then change time zones again coming home.

Eastern teams rarely if ever leave their time zones. As a person who has traveled extensively that affects you over time. We board a plane every single time we play a game, we suck in fake atmosphere in a compressed tube 30,000 feet about the earth. Back east as you said, much easier to hope in your car or on a bus and travel an hour or two to play a game.

In the category of hits... 3 of the top 5 teams are Eastern teams including the #1 team (Toronto). 6 of the top 10 teams in the NHL are Eastern teams. This includes the Penguins a team you said was not a physical team. They fall at the #6 team in the NHL in hits. If you want to keep going 10 of the top 15 teams in the NHL in hits are Eastern teams.

So for a conference of teams that don't play physical they have an alarming lead in a physical stat. Also if it means anything to you Vancouver is the #25 team in hits.

I don't think we can compare personal experience unless you regularly go on business trips. I myself am 23 with no kids and no significant other so I do travel more than most people with vacations around 3-5 times a year not including trips to Pittsburgh and New York (2-5 hours) to see old friends. With hockey players can travel as much as 4 times a week and when you do it that regularly your body starts to adapt to it as normal. And that is why I feel the East benefits because they don't do that often so when they go on a West trip they are suddenly thrown into this intense travel schedule likely making them weaker. Compared to a Western team going East and suddenly getting a slew of shorter trips. It just seems logical that an Eastern team would be slower when thrown into a rigorous schedule like that while Western teams would be rejuvenated from the more tame schedule when they go East.

Now wouldn't it be harder for a team like that to suddenly up and start the vigorous travel schedule through the west compared to a team that does that regularly going to the East?......If anything I feel it benefits the West.

I this one of those instances where your signature explains your line of thinking?

That sounds like outsmarting oneself to me.

I this one of those instances where your signature explains your line of thinking?

That sounds like outsmarting oneself to me.

I think it's a valid point haha. Even when sober. I feel it is similar to the NFL and cold weather. Teams that play in cold weather (where it hurts much more to get hit) don't get worn down by it they adapt and get used it to compared to teams that play in nicer conditions who often struggle much more in colder weather. People who travel a lot tend to handle it better than people who don't do it as often hence a team in the West is likely going to be less worn down from a 10 hour flight than a team in the East.

I don't think it's as unbalanced as some think. Last 10 cup winners.... 5 East and 5 West.

I think it's a valid point haha. Even when sober. I feel it is similar to the NFL and cold weather. Teams that play in cold weather (where it hurts much more to get hit) don't get worn down by it they adapt and get used it to compared to teams that play in nicer conditions who often struggle much more in colder weather. People who travel a lot tend to handle it better than people who don't do it as often hence a team in the West is likely going to be less worn down from a 10 hour flight than a team in the East.

I don't think it's as unbalanced as some think. Last 10 cup winners.... 5 East and 5 West.

I don't think the cold weather thing has the lasting effect that being run down from excessive travelling does.

perhaps it would have been 8 western wins otherwise...

but I do hear what you're saying. in the short run it may not make such a difference, but over the long run, I think it's a significant disadvantage to teams like Vancouver.

Archived