The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Asking price for Matt Moulson could only be a 2nd round pick

ESPN speculates the asking price for Matt Moulson could only be a second round pick:

Steve Spiegel:

What would it take to get Moulson from the Sabres?

Katie Strang:

Considering that he is a pending unrestricted free agent and will thus be a rental, I'd say a second-round pick. Maybe a pair of picks, a second and a third. Sabres have stockpiled a pretty impressive crop of prospects. Murray is in a good position to add some more if that's the route he wants to take. In his introductory press conference, he said he'd like to build through the draft, so that only reinforces the emphasis on accruing youth and talent

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49779

It kind of seems like Derek Roy all over again. The only way I can see Gillis trading for Moulson is if he is confident he can re sign him.

Realistically, we aren't a Matt Moulson away from winning the cup, so why not just wait until the off season? If we practically stand pat this deadline, think we gotta go big on at least one of Cammaleri, Moulson, Vanek and pay extra to get them here for a couple years.

But I wouldn't trade for those players at the deadline if it involved a B level prospect or anything better than a 3rd round pick.

Besides, if they want a second round pick, half the teams in the league will be fighting for him.

They should be able to get a 1st.

Pending UFA rentals have been moved for 1st round picks before (Paul Gaustad an example of one who is not as talented as Moulson). Plus the playoff race seems to have a lot more teams still in it than usual likely meaning the sellers market will be thinner.

Canucks need to acquire a goal scorer for their top 6.

If we could add just half a goal per game to our lineup we would be winning alot more games.

A player like Moulson brings that. A 2nd round pick has little value to us as we've seen in the past.

Archived