The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why We Should Aim to be a Wild Card Team for the Playoffs

DownUndaCanuck

So with the NHL changing the playoff format, the top seeded in the West will draw the 2nd wild card team while the 2nd seeded team in the West (from the other division) will draw the 1st wild card team for a first round matchup. Meanwhile, the remaining two teams from each division play each other.

Right now, it's pretty obvious that the Pacific Division is by far the strongest in the league, and the Canucks haven't played well against the Kings, Sharks or Ducks. We're a rediculous 1-7-3 against those three teams collectively, that's essentially two playoff sweeps right there. However, against the Central Division teams we've fared a lot better, with a 3-1-0 record against St. Louis and Chicago (I doubt Colorado will catch either of them so have left them out of this).

With the chance of the Canucks playing a Central Division opponent in the first round, we actually have a chance of making it deep and not getting swept by one of the Pacific teams. It all depends on where the top teams end up, and right now St. Louis, Chicago and Anaheim look to be duking it out for top seed in the West.

My idea is that if Anaheim look like they're pulling away from the pack and about to take #1 in the West, the Canucks should aim to finish in the first Wild Card spot as that pits us against St. Louis or Chicago who we've actually dominated. Moving into the 2nd round we'd go back to play a divisional rival who would have been beaten up by one of the other Californian teams in the previous round, so much easier to play against.

I wouldn't normally condone losing at the end of the season, but for the first time in a while there is a legitimate reason for this strategy.

I think at most it would just mean the canucks wouldnt have as much incentive to try as hard at the end of the year. Its not like they should be thinking about that now. But if it comes down to the last couple games of the year and we have already clinched a spot, it could be interesting

I think it is a war room strategy, but one that would only come into play in the final game or two of the year in the very small chance that a win or a loss guarantees us a potential better matchup. using this mornings points projection Anaheim will be the clear number one seed with Chicago the clear number two..so if after 79 games it appears extremely likely that that will remain the same, then there is a case for our war room to do the math and determine a path that would guarantee the canucks a better first round opponent.

That being said, I don't believe the circumstances will permit that, as every point is so precious, a team trying to gerrymander its first round opponent by taking it easy in the final game or two. It could happen, but not likely as the standings will be most likely closer than 2, 4 or 6 points between 9th, 8th and 7th. Therefore it will be almost impossible to have the 'perfect storm' of choosing your destiny by losing a game.

This team can't afford to worry about opponents. Just make the fracking playoffs first.

this^^^ who we play in the playoffs is the least of my worries. making the playoffs is however a huge concern of mine.

team plays like a bunch of wussbags right now. no urgency and no intensity. when its crunch time they better have there heads on straight or they will be joining me polishing my taylormades.

1. Before we think about "choosing" our opponent for the playoffs, we should just try to make the palyoffs. Which is not guarantee, any small losing streak will leave you outside looking in.

2. We did not DOMINATE Chicago or St-Louis. We played well, but I wouldn't say we dominated.

3. Trying to finish at a specific ranking is virtually impossible to do, specially for position from 5 to 9, when there is usually less than 5-6 pts difference. So try to finish as the 1st wild card (7th) is not only based on the Canucks winning/losing when they decide to, it is based on the other teams results, which is not controllable.

4. You don't go deep in the playoff by "trying" to choose your opponent, you goo deep by being the better team, whichever opposition is in front of you.

5. Remember 2 years ago when LA won the cup. 90% of CDC was happy we got the LA instead of the Sharks or Phoenix. Remember what happened?

Like you thinking but...... Before the season started these pages were full of threads stating the only important thing was making the play offs and then dream about 16W... Now that we don't lead our division 'as recently' people moan about who we can beat, and who we can't beat....

Just get to the play offs and then pull the magic wand. Who knows, how these teams fares, when play offs comes around. They may be beaten to pulps by then, so lets just get there and see what hand we are dealt.

Is there a cross over at all to the east? I thought I read that there was somewhere... CFL

no east/west crossover

though if im not mistaken if OP's scenario comes true and we play end up playing a central team. i believe that puts us in the central division for the remainder of the playoffs... i.e. we play stl/chi first round then col/stl/chi second round, then the central div winner (canucks) plays the pacific div winner (ana/la/sjs/phx)

i could be totally wrong here with my scenario. it would just seem weird to me if say we land 7th, minnesota gets 8th. so minnesota gets ana ( assuming they are first in the west) and we get chi. it would seem weird to throw us back into our normal division..... or maybe I'm just thinking waaaay too much into this :)

edit: i just did a quick google, all i could see was that for the second round the highest seed in the div plays the lowest ( ya no crap!!) so no clarification on what happens if 3 from 1div and 1 from another div to advance... maybe all 4 get reseeded...?

Archived