The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would you give up for Steve Ott

Not at all. Just wait until the deadline and see the return that he gets.

The demand for Ott at the deadline will be ridiculously high. Is he worth that much? Nope. Will he get that much? Definitely.

Cheap contract for a solid all-around player who isn't elite, but doesn't have a single hole in his game. Also, one of those players that all contending teams wish that they could have. Supply and demand.

This is why the Canucks shouldn't go after him. They aren't contenders even with Steve Ott on their team and Gillis shouldn't mortgage the future. Hopefully the Canucks can add a few picks instead of trading them.

If Steve Ott and his 12 points nets a 1st round pick I'll light my balls on fire.

Not at all. Just wait until the deadline and see the return that he gets.

The demand for Ott at the deadline will be ridiculously high. Is he worth that much? Nope. Will he get that much? Definitely.

Cheap contract for a solid all-around player who isn't elite, but doesn't have a single hole in his game. Also, one of those players that all contending teams wish that they could have. Supply and demand.

This is why the Canucks shouldn't go after him. They aren't contenders even with Steve Ott on their team and Gillis shouldn't mortgage the future. Hopefully the Canucks can add a few picks instead of trading them.

People forget how much Erat netted and how much Gaustad got.

The thing people need to remember is that Buffalo set the price damned high with the Vanek trade and Ottawa didnit help with the Ryan trade.

Ott is not going anywhere for less than a premium.

And need I remind people of our last 2 seasons with C rentals

Pahlsson

Roy

Gave up some pieces people complained and still complain about and they both walked. Who were we able to draft again with that 2nd for Roy and those picks from Pahlsson?

I do not want to pay this years rental price when there is genuine talent available in our draft area at the areas we need to shore up in the organization

Gillis said no rentals and no top prospects. Either he signs and then trades, or we send an expiring/crap prospects

Gaunce isn't a top prospect, and don't let the fact that he was drafted in the first round fool you. He's projected as a future top 9 forward, so he has some potential to be a decent top 6 center but he doesn't have great skating...so he's projected to be a good solid third line Center, exactly what Steve ott is right now. Plus Steve ott has a lot more grit...and Gaunce won't be an NHLer for at least another year or two.

The Canucks really only have two "top" prospects in the system...shinkaruk and horvat.

People forget how much Erat netted and how much Gaustad got.

The thing people need to remember is that Buffalo set the price damned high with the Vanek trade and Ottawa didnit help with the Ryan trade.

Ott is not going anywhere for less than a premium.

And need I remind people of our last 2 seasons with C rentals

Pahlsson

Roy

Gave up some pieces people complained and still complain about and they both walked. Who were we able to draft again with that 2nd for Roy and those picks from Pahlsson?

I do not want to pay this years rental price when there is genuine talent available in our draft area at the areas we need to shore up in the organization

Yup, exactly.

The whole issue with Ott is that every playoff/cup contending team will take a look at him. When demand is that high, the price goes up. Economics 101.

Some GM will pay a huge price for Steve Ott and drive the market for him up. He'll go for a 1st and a prospect at the very least, which should be too expensive for Vancouver.

A few people have been using the Iginla trade as a precedent but you got to remember that Iginla had a strict NTC and he practically hand-picked where he wanted to go. He still got a 1st and two prospects back in a deal.

Steve Ott doesn't have an NTC at the moment so the price and demand for him drives up substantially. He'll net a huge return, especially for what he brings to the table.

Archived