The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Type of Player is Dustin Brown?

Now I concur that Dustin Brown is a good player, a cup winning captain and all that, and that's not up for debate. But what type of player is he? He's one of the tougher guys in the league, but i'm not sure if you can classify him as a power forward, using the classic definitions of what a power forward should be.

Is Dustin Brown a Power forward?

- Big and strong. Check.

- Plays physically. Check.

- High penalties. Sort of.

- High points. Not really.

- Willingness to fight. Not really.

- Rarely dives. No.

Rat?

- Agitator. Yes.

- Cheap hitter. Yes.

- Diver. Yes.

- Turtler. Yes.

- Trash talker. Not sure.

Is Dustin Brown just a rat? A 'Power Rat?', which combines aspects of both types? Or does he do enough Power Forward stuff to be considered one regardless of his rat stuff?

Either way, some rat stuff is definitely there. And he's a cup winning team captain. So the rats have indeed taken over the league as Burke predicted?

Power Rat! I love it.

From now on Brown will officially be known as Power Rat, PR or P-Rat

Except intentionally injuring other players with career threatening injuries...

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. You can make the case that he hangs his knee out sometimes, but Edler just did that to Staal not long ago and i'm sure he has done it on other occasions too. If you watch enough games, you will see many players hang a knee out. It happens. It's not right, but it happens. No one would even care about his antics if the Canucks owned the Kings but the shoe is on the other foot. They own us and when that happens, it breeds hatred from all angles. By all means hate him, but he is damn effective and is a winner. You can never have a shortage of winners on your team.

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. You can make the case that he hangs his knee out sometimes, but Edler just did that to Staal not long ago and i'm sure he has done it on other occasions too. If you watch enough games, you will see many players hang a knee out. It happens. It's not right, but it happens. No one would even care about his antics if the Canucks owned the Kings but the shoe is on the other foot. They own us and when that happens, it breeds hatred from all angles. By all means hate him, but he is damn effective and is a winner. You can never have a shortage of winners on your team.

Agreed, with your opening sentence, but it does not justify him being a dirty player. That's like saying he's good because he tries to hurt people. He's a glorified Sestito with better hands. We dominate the Oilers but I still really dislike Hall for the same reasons as Brown. Would I ever want either on the Canucks, no. Why?

1. If Brown pulled these stunts with the Canucks he'd be suspended more than Raffi Torres

2. The media would be all over him.

3. The refs would kick him out of every game.

If that was Kesler who ran Brown the way Nolan ran Henrik, Shanaban would have given Kesler 5 and the refs would have given him a game misconduct.

He does what it takes to win. There is no harm in doing this. His offence is stifled because his coach gets the team to play a boring puck posession game. What you see with LA is a team that buys into the system and does it well. Brown could complain that his offensive stats take a hit playing like this, but it got them a Stanley Cup so why would he say a thing? You don't have to like him but saying he is a joke, a scrub, a cheap-shot artist, etc. etc. is just sour grapes because he is not doing the same thing for your team.

There is considerable harm to opposition players' knees. See the gifs posted earlier in the thread. It's amazing that this guy doesn't have a long suspension record.

Dustin brown is a captain of team who is actually willingly to drop the gloves unlike our captain (not hating) but we complain about other teams being cheap but most of what we did yesterday was pretty cheap. Either way canucks stood up for themselves for one game and that's all that matters.

Agreed, with your opening sentence, but it does not justify him being a dirty player. That's like saying he's good because he tries to hurt people. He's a glorified Sestito with better hands. We dominate the Oilers but I still really dislike Hall for the same reasons as Brown. Would I ever want either on the Canucks, no. Why?

1. If Brown pulled these stunts with the Canucks he'd be suspended more than Raffi Torres

2. The media would be all over him.

3. The refs would kick him out of every game.

If that was Kesler who ran Brown the way Nolan ran Henrik, Shanaban would have given Kesler 5 and the refs would have given him a game misconduct.

So many baseless assumptions.

There is considerable harm to opposition players' knees. See the gifs posted earlier in the thread. It's amazing that this guy doesn't have a long suspension record.

The two plays people repeatedly point to when it comes to Brown's "kneeing" record are the hits on Rozival and Hertle. If you watch both hits in slow mo, you'll see that Brown never moved his leg. In fact, Rozival suffered a bruised thigh and there was full body contact on that play. This talk of Brown being a guy who knees other players is a complete myth.

Archived