The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

Bernier only developed the work ethic to play the defensive side of the game when it became clear he was washing out of the league as a top 6 guy.

Gaunce had the best strength and fitness scores of his draft class, plays a stodgy two way game and has been a clutch play off performer in junior. They are different players. Gaunce may develop into a more dynamic scorer? Yes I will be happy if he plays 500 Canuck games.

I also expect him to be more competitive in a lot of other ways right from the start!

Even if he plays AHL next year or this even if the lose out in the playoffs I'm excited to see what he can do in a real league setting. He's always in the right place.

The Sochi Olympics will occupy most of our attention for the next month or so, but 10 days after the gold medal is handed out, it's TradeCentre. Give me some names that might move.

Bob McKenzie: Two names that you might hear out there are a couple of veterans from the Dallas Stars and maybe those players are actually hoping to hear their names in trade rumours: We're talking about veteran forward Ray Whitney and defenceman Sergei Gonchar.

Neither of these two players, you could say, are thriving under Lindy Ruff in Dallas right now. It's not a great situation for either one of them. Now, if the Stars decide to move them, Whitney would be a pure rental and would be a lot easier to move, since somebody could pick him up for just the balance of the season. Gonchar has two more years left at $5 million per year on one of those over-35 contracts. That will be a tough one to move.

Pierre LeBrun: One of those contenders looking to add before the trade deadline will be the Anaheim Ducks although you'd wonder what a team that's won 18 of 19 could possibly need.

We're told that they are targeting a right-handed defenceman. That would be the top of their wish-list and one name that I know will have some intrigue is Dan Girardi of the New York Rangers. However, at this point the Rangers are telling teams that they're not moving him, are focused on signing him and are confident at this point that those negotiations will possibly lead to a new deal.

Ryan Callahan is another unrestricted free agent for the Rangers. That negotiation is perhaps not as far down the road, and I don't know if the Rangers can get both done, but Girardi seems more likely.

"California Dreamin'" goes beyond the Ducks. What would the L.A. Kings like to add?

Darren Dreger: They'd like to add some scoring and a bit more skill but the sense is around the Kings that they're going to have to wait, let the money go down a little bit more. So, we're talking about a deal that probably doesn't happen much before the Mar. 5 trade deadline.

They're looking at rental players like Mike Cammalleri, Thomas Vanek perhaps Tomas Fleischmann or even Matt Moulson. That's the type of player the Kings feel would give them a bit of a push going into the playoffs.

Five days before TradeCentre – right at the end of February – is a very important day for Ryan O'Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche. Explain.

McKenzie: It will mark a year since he signed his free agent offer sheet that the Calgary Flames tendered and was obviously matched by the Avalanche. That is when the Avalanche – if they so desire – have the availability to move him in a trade. They've been restricted and haven't been able to do that up until now.

I'm not saying they will, I'm saying that that is the time lapse that if they wanted to trade O'Reilly. Keep in mind that they have to qualify O'Reilly when the season ends at $6.5 million.

LeBrun: So many teams are keeping an eye on what the Avs are going to do with O'Reilly. If he's made available, to me he's a number one player on the trade market. So many teams could use him and one of those teams that covet him – I believe – are the Vancouver Canucks. I would put him at the top of their list, he fits all their needs in terms of finding another centre and they have an abundance of defencemen, which is something Colorado would want to have back in a trade, if they were to put O'Reilly on the market.

If some student were to do a study on which team is talked about most with trade rumblings on Insider Trading it would probably be the Carolina Hurricanes. What's the latest there?

Dreger: Tuomo Ruutu is very much in play. It seems like he has been for the entire season and last year, too. Jim Rutherford met with Ruutu this week and told him he's going to start pushing that trade now. Ruutu has a no-trade clause but he said he'd do his best to work with Carolina.

McKenzie: Rutherford sent a league-wide email saying Ruutu is available, as well as Jiri Tlusty, Riley Nash, Drayson Bowman and Brett Bellemore. The Canucks did the same thing with Dale Weise and the Tampa Bay Lightning did the same thing with Keith Aulie and Tom Pyatt.

LeBrun: One goalie that is available is Michal Neuvirth in Washington. We know his agent spoke publicly about hoping he would get a new home. The Florida Panthers are a team keeping an eye on it. That may be more of a move for the off-season, but they have some interest.

Hansen - Ott - Kassian

That is line that could do damage in the playoffs. Ott is such a psycho, him and Kassian would make a hilarious duo.

change it to burrows/sesito and that is a line that will be very hard to play against and will other team mad.

hope we get o reilly but not at the price I proposed lol but it will take a sight overpayment

More Oil Changes?

Even though the Edmonton Oilers traded Devan Dubnyk to the Nashville Predators and acquired Ben Scrivens from the Los Angeles Kings, general manager Craig MacTavish still has some goaltending decisions to make. TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com reports that the the team could be targeting Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks when he hits free agency this summer. With both Scrivens and Ilya Bryzgalov free agents themselves, the Oilers will need to sort out its goalie situation sooner than later. If McTavish were to explore trade options, Carolina Hurricanes 'keeper Cam Ward could be a potential name to watch.

Simon Says?

Defenceman Simon Despres could be on his way out of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization. Demoted to Wilkes-Barre of the AHL on Thursday, Despres finds himself on the outside looking in on the Penguins' now healthy defensive corps. Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review says that, while Penguins general manager Ray Shero is likely to field calls regarding Olli Maatta, Despres is the defenceman he'd be more likely to move prior to the March 5 trade deadline.

More Oil Changes?

Even though the Edmonton Oilers traded Devan Dubnyk to the Nashville Predators and acquired Ben Scrivens from the Los Angeles Kings, general manager Craig MacTavish still has some goaltending decisions to make. TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com reports that the the team could be targeting Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks when he hits free agency this summer. With both Scrivens and Ilya Bryzgalov free agents themselves, the Oilers will need to sort out its goalie situation sooner than later. If McTavish were to explore trade options, Carolina Hurricanes 'keeper Cam Ward could be a potential name to watch.

Simon Says?

Defenceman Simon Despres could be on his way out of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization. Demoted to Wilkes-Barre of the AHL on Thursday, Despres finds himself on the outside looking in on the Penguins' now healthy defensive corps. Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review says that, while Penguins general manager Ray Shero is likely to field calls regarding Olli Maatta, Despres is the defenceman he'd be more likely to move prior to the March 5 trade deadline.

Hey WarHippy. BTW, nice job on the thread mate!

Yes the Coilers still should be looking. I wonder if Scrivens will get more starts than Bryz in the run home? They were just trying to move parts that were becoming a distraction to the team. I'm guessing on that, but its hard to imagine the team not having lost confidence in Dubnyk. Not a good place to start every game. A good move IMO.

They also got a goalie prospect in the perplexing Smid deal. Meh; when Burke started here his first task was signing Kariya's younger brother. Ahem, building up depth on the farm. As we saw elevating their rookies too fast did not work that great for Edmonton. Slowly but surely the program is to make everyone work harder to get on the team. The Oilers have less moves than people think to make. Lets not forget they have talent, and could have Nurse, Klefbom and Ekblad all coming? Hillier might be a logical next step.

Their Cap is well under control. $15.8 mill avail as we speak. They could easily go get some talented, big, athletic role players to fill out their team.

Hey WarHippy. BTW, nice job on the thread mate!

Yes the Coilers still should be looking. I wonder if Scrivens will get more starts than Bryz in the run home? They were just trying to move parts that were becoming a distraction to the team. I'm guessing on that, but its hard to imagine the team not having lost confidence in Dubnyk. Not a good place to start every game. A good move IMO.

They also got a goalie prospect in the perplexing Smid deal. Meh; when Burke started here his first task was signing Kariya's younger brother. Ahem, building up depth on the farm. As we saw elevating their rookies too fast did not work that great for Edmonton. Slowly but surely the program is to make everyone work harder to get on the team. The Oilers have less moves than people think to make. Lets not forget they have talent, and could have Nurse, Klefbom and Ekblad all coming? Hillier might be a logical next step.

Their Cap is well under control. $15.8 mill avail as we speak. They could easily go get some talented, big, athletic role players to fill out their team.

Thanks bud, I just wanted to try and head off the endless parade of rumours we are going to see before the trade deadline. Honestly TSN is making a joke of things the last 3 years by literally having daily rumours starting from Jan to deadline day

I agree to an extent on the Oilers but their issues are so large as to be mind boggling after years of rebuilding.

3 top line players, no real 2nd line wingers. No real bottom 6 checking players or any defence. Winning the lottery and getting Ekblad and or adding another 1st round pick to grab yet another in McKeown or the like will do amazing things for this club.

But they're still 3-5 years away from being competitive sadly.

Horvat will make the team next year regardless. This idea that Brendan Gaunce is playing on the Canucks next year is about as unrealistic as it gets. He isnt anywhere near good enough to play a meaningful role in the NHL for two more years after this season, if that soon.

Dont push Ott away just because it wrecks pushing young players onto the team. Its extremely unlikely players step up to clubs within the first two years now .

In fact, its far more likely they are 22 to 25 before they have a regular job . Give them some time. Horvat will be the exception because he has so many weapons and is physically really.

you are waaaaay over rating Horvat. I sw nothing in the WJHC that would indicate he is ready to play in the NHL next year. I agree about Gaunce because he is AHL eligible next season, as is Shinkaruk. I expect both to be in Utica for the next two years, joined by Horvat in 2015 for a year.

A Devilish Move?

Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger in New Jersey reports that even though the Devils have found some chemistry as of late and are playing well, it doesn't mean GM Lou Lamoriello will stand pat. "Let's put it this way: If we can get something to make us better, I think you know the answer," said Lamoriello in the article. "I don't think any team is as good as you'd like it to be. We're going to do everything we can to get better. But if you look back a year ago and look back at the summer, I think we have to feel pretty good about our new players."

Staying In The Capital?

Katie Carrera of the Washington Post is reporting that the Capitals and forward Mikhail Grabovski are already in contract extension talks and Grabovski's agent, Gary Greenstin, has stated the 29-year-old will likely stay in Washington. Grabovski signed a one-year, $3 million contract last off-season after the Toronto Maple Leafs bought him out.

One and Done?

Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that the Blue Jackets haven't had any contract talks with injured sniper Marian Gaborik who might be traded at a second straight deadline. The Slovenia has missed a fair chunk of the season including six weeks because of a knee sprain and is currently sidelined with a broken collarbone after being pinned between two Philadelphia Flyers in a game on Dec. 21.

I'm going to ask a serious question and I only want smart, well thought out answers. Why does everyone think this team needs a top 6 goal scorer come playoff time?

Now before you answer with how I know everyone is going to answer.

-Bos 8 goals in 7 games

-LA 8 goals in 5 games

-SJ 8 goals in 4 games

What reasoning is there that our team doesn't score come playoff time against those teams?

We don't seem to have trouble against CHI, NSH, or even SJ in 2010 so why those teams?

The Penguins only scored 3 goals in 4 games against BOS last year. Do they need to go out and get more scoring?

Now while your thinking of the response try to remember what everyone said was missing on our team in 2010.

You asked four questions.

Not Much Talking

Steve Zipay of Newsday reports that the New York Rangers have yet to have concrete contract talks with their captain Ryan Callahan who will become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. The article says many teams would be interested in the 28-year-old gritty and skilled forward if the Rangers don't spend enough to keep him in the Big Apple. A concern could be with Callahan's health as he's racked up a number of various injuries over his career.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441635

It will be interesting to see what the Blue Jackets do with Gaborik. They are sitting in a wild car spot but could easily move into 6th, as they are within 3 points of NYR and TOR with 2 games in hand.

Gaborik is the missing piece for that team. The Blue Jackets are actually pretty solid. They have a great mix of size, speed, grit and skill but don't really have anyone else with elite goal scoring ability.

No First-Rounders

Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Calgary Flames general manager Brain Burke sees no scenario in which he would give up his first round pick which will likely be a top-five lottery selection. "No — it's not in play," said Burke to the Sun. ""We've had no inquiries — people wait to see the draft sequence." Burke said he's looking for trade partners in the market right now, but hasn't received any offers that make sense in the long term. He thinks trade talk will pick up after the Olympic break. Dennis Wideman and David Jones are being shopped around according to the article.

No First-Rounders

Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Calgary Flames general manager Brain Burke sees no scenario in which he would give up his first round pick which will likely be a top-five lottery selection. "No — it's not in play," said Burke to the Sun. ""We've had no inquiries — people wait to see the draft sequence." Burke said he's looking for trade partners in the market right now, but hasn't received any offers that make sense in the long term. He thinks trade talk will pick up after the Olympic break. Dennis Wideman and David Jones are being shopped around according to the article.

Pitch an offer for Wideman if we can deal Edler for a top six forward?

No First-Rounders

Have no interest in any more than 3 Flames. He is definitely not one of them. Only guys who's names rhyme with Cracklund, Bjordano, and Frodreau.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441685

Help In Net

Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal says the St. Louis Blues, one of the best teams in the NHL, could use some help between the pipes. He says they won't give up highly touted prospect Dmitrij Jaskin, but former Oiler Magnus Paajarvi could be made available as well as goaltender Jaroslav Halak. Matheson also says the Chicago Blackhawks are looking for a number two centre to play with Patrick Kane.

Decisions, Decisions

Larry Brooks of the New York Post says the New York Rangers have a decision to make when it comes to defenceman Dan Girardi. The 29-year-old will be an unrestricted free agent at year's end. If the Rangers decide not to extend his contract, Brooks believes the Anaheim Ducks or Boston Bruins would be a good fit in exchange for a package of young defenceman.

Archived