The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441685

Help In Net

Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal says the St. Louis Blues, one of the best teams in the NHL, could use some help between the pipes. He says they won't give up highly touted prospect Dmitrij Jaskin, but former Oiler Magnus Paajarvi could be made available as well as goaltender Jaroslav Halak. Matheson also says the Chicago Blackhawks are looking for a number two centre to play with Patrick Kane.

Decisions, Decisions

Larry Brooks of the New York Post says the New York Rangers have a decision to make when it comes to defenceman Dan Girardi. The 29-year-old will be an unrestricted free agent at year's end. If the Rangers decide not to extend his contract, Brooks believes the Anaheim Ducks or Boston Bruins would be a good fit in exchange for a package of young defenceman.

The scary thing is that Chicago has the pieces to trade for a 2C and have the team they're trading with retain some cap...

The scary thing is that Chicago has the pieces to trade for a 2C and have the team they're trading with retain some cap...

I don't see Chicago making a deal for a true 2C. We only have about $1.1 million in cap space, Stan could trade Brookbank or Kostka to get a bit more cap room but he like carrying 8 defenseman. I would expect Stan will trade for a 4C at most and give Teravainen a shot at the 2C role once his season is done in Finland.

I don't see Chicago making a deal for a true 2C. We only have about $1.1 million in cap space, Stan could trade Brookbank or Kostka to get a bit more cap room but he like carrying 8 defenseman. I would expect Stan will trade for a 4C at most and give Teravainen a shot at the 2C role once his season is done in Finland.

You don't see a fit with anyone else? There was chat about Gagner a few weeks ago in passing. But looking again I see you're right about the cap space. Hard to mess with Anaheim or Chicago's chemistry right now

Improving the Champs?

Do the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks need to be even better? Chicago Sun-Times reporter Mark Lazerus spoke to Comcast Sportsnet and said recalled last season's acquisition of Michal Handzus and said, "I think just like last year (GM Stan Bowman will) be in the market for a center. I don't know if it will be quote-unquote a second-line center, but they do need some depth down at the middle," Lazerus told CSN's Pat Boyle.

Lazerus said that the Blackhawks are currently carrying a surplus of defencemen and could use one potentially as trade bait.

Bigger in Texas

Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill spoke to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News and discussed his team's ability, if they choose, to trade draft picks for roster players because the team has the cap space to allow such a deal. Nill would not get into player specifics, but Heika suggested in his article that pending unrestricted free agents Vernon Fiddler and Ray Whitney could be desirable to other clubs. Heika also noted that Sergei Gonchar, Erik Cole, and Shawn Horcoff each have one year left on their deals and with a rising salary cap, their manageable costs might be attractive to teams as well.

Leaky Pipes

The Minnesota Wild are struggling with injuries to both of their goalies, Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding. Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has talked trade with some teams, but the market is drying up with Devan Dubnyk and Ben Scrivens now off the board after they were moved last week. Russo says the team has talked internally about signing free agent Jose Theodore in case they need some insurance. Theodore is living in South Florida and has been working out throughout the season just in case a call comes.

Improving the Champs?

Do the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks need to be even better? Chicago Sun-Times reporter Mark Lazerus spoke to Comcast Sportsnet and said recalled last season's acquisition of Michal Handzus and said, "I think just like last year (GM Stan Bowman will) be in the market for a center. I don't know if it will be quote-unquote a second-line center, but they do need some depth down at the middle," Lazerus told CSN's Pat Boyle.

Lazerus said that the Blackhawks are currently carrying a surplus of defencemen and could use one potentially as trade bait.

Bigger in Texas

Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill spoke to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News and discussed his team's ability, if they choose, to trade draft picks for roster players because the team has the cap space to allow such a deal. Nill would not get into player specifics, but Heika suggested in his article that pending unrestricted free agents Vernon Fiddler and Ray Whitney could be desirable to other clubs. Heika also noted that Sergei Gonchar, Erik Cole, and Shawn Horcoff each have one year left on their deals and with a rising salary cap, their manageable costs might be attractive to teams as well.

Leaky Pipes

The Minnesota Wild are struggling with injuries to both of their goalies, Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding. Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has talked trade with some teams, but the market is drying up with Devan Dubnyk and Ben Scrivens now off the board after they were moved last week. Russo says the team has talked internally about signing free agent Jose Theodore in case they need some insurance. Theodore is living in South Florida and has been working out throughout the season just in case a call comes.

LOL manageable costs with Shawn Horcoff? :picard: There's some spin for you.

I always liked Cole. But unless its a Booth replacement, I see a RW (not left) as a much bigger priority. Santorelli is great depth, but not really the long term, big, fast sniper we really want in our Top 6.

Not mcuh here...

Who might be available and who might be on the move in Edmonton?

Dreger: Sam Gagner, we know. Ales Hemsky, we know. Ryan Smyth is expected. There's no dialog between Craig MacTavish and Ryan Smyth. The belief is that Smyth wants one more crack with a winning team to see if he can win the Stanley Cup. He's still effective, at least in the offensive zone, so I expect his name will heat up as we get closer to the deadline.

Could Matt Moulson be heading to Ottawa?

LeBrun: Matt Moulson will be a very popular name as the March deadline approaches. We know he's one of the guys the LA Kings are looking at, but the Ottawa Senators are another team. A little bit of a connection with the Senators, as GM Bryan Murray's nephew Tim Murray is now GM in Buffalo. Moulson's a guy that if the Senators can stay in the playoff mix over the next few weeks, I believe they will make inquiries on him.

Might Thomas Vanek, who was part of the Moulson trade, resign on Long Island?

LeBrun: He has liked it on Long Island a lot more than he thought he would. You hear these stories about the Islanders and playing in a bad rink but Vanek has really enjoyed his time there. He loves playing with John Tavares and he likes the way he's been treated by Garth Snow, so he's got a big decision to make. I think at the end of the day he's still going to go to free agency, which makes him force the hand of Snow. For Snow, that's the number one priority; to sign Vanek before the trade deadline.

Vets for Sale?

Toiling in the Western Conference cellar, are the Edmonton Oilers ready to start moving some pieces out for future assets?

According to TSN's hockey insiders, the Oilers could be willing to part with more than just the widely-rumoured-to-be-available Sam Gagner. Darren Dreger floated the names of veteran forwards Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth as both being available prior to the deadline.

Smyth and Hemsky are both set to hit unrestricted free agency following the 2013-14 season, carrying cap hits of $2.25 million and $5 million, respectively.

Are You Jellin'?

The Bruins defence corps may be without Dennis Seidenberg after season-ending knee surgery, but the B's don't appear to be in a hurry to add a veteran to their young blue line behind captain Zdeno Chara.

According to the Boston Herald General manager Peter Chiarelli is ready to be patient with his blue line before exploring the trade market for a veteran d-man.

Moulson Canadian?

The possibility of Matt Moulson finding a new home before Mar. 5 has been rumoured since the Buffalo Sabres acquired the pending-free agent in a deal with the New York Islanders on Oct. 27.

But TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun believes the Ottawa Senators could be a suitor for Moulson if they are able to stay in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.

LeBrun points to the working (and familial) relationship between Senators general manager Bryan Murray and new Sabres GM Tim Murray (Bryan's nephew) as a good starting ground for discussions.

The Sabres have already acquired three additional draft picks in the first two rounds of June's NHL Draft, with one of those being a conditional first from the trade that brought Moulson to Buffalo. The Senators traded away their 2014 first round pick in the deal that landed them Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks.

Miller Time

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun writes on ESPN.com that Buffalo Sabres general manager Tim Murray is already hearing calls for his pending unrestricted free agents.

"We're just starting to explore the market the last day or two," Murray said. "I've had some calls, and most of the calls are just generalities: 'If I can meet your demand, would you be willing to move him?' So you have teams calling, for sure, and they're asking about different players. Every team has a different need; the same names come up, obviously, as far as the forwards go. My mandate here is to get better. I don't want a five-year rebuild, that's not what I'm about. It's about getting better, and if that means trading guys and getting assets for them, then that's the way it will be."

Murray is also considering all of his options with pending UFA Ryan Miller, including the possibility of re-signing him. LeBrun adds that if Miller isn't interested in staying, Murray will move him at the trade deadline.

Sticking With The Tandem

Michael Traikos of The National Post writes that Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis admitted that he has been received several calls regarding goaltenders Jonathan Bernier and James Reimer, but has no intentions to break them up right now.

"I haven't thought that too far, but could I see a scenario where both goalies were back next season? Yes," he told the paper. "We've gone this far because of our goaltending. Jon is on a bit of a roll, but James has been really good for us.

"I would never write James Reimer off."

Oilers' Options

Jonathan Willis writes in the Edmonton Journal that while a skilled veteran forward like Ales Hemsky could be appealing to another NHL team, the Oilers have needs (size up front and blue line help) that the return on trading Hemsky trade won't address.

Willis suggests a player like Jordan Eberle or Nail Yakupov – younger players with attractive contracts right now - would be more helpful.

Time To Talk?

Newsday's Arthur Staple writes that contract talks could begin soon between the Thomas Vanek's agent and the New York Islanders. If Vanek isn't willing to re-sign a long-term deal, Staple thinks they'll dangle him at the trade deadline. Staple adds that there's been talks between the Islanders and soon-to-be UFA blueliner Andrew MacDonald. Staple says he's seeking a contract at about $5 million per season.

Man, news is pretty dull ATM.

Pffft, link on that one article suggested the Oilers could trade Hemsky, "if thats what they wanted?"

Y'now... I still like Yakupov. One of my against CDC grain opinions. There were issues last year, but they had him going. So much for Eakins being the key which opens the development door on all their young stars.

The Oilers made the same mistake the Grizzlies did waaaay back when. Drafted Big Country Reeves, gave him sheltered free minutes in top line role status; then signed him to a massive contract. All the Oilers except Yak have been signed to press clipping contracts. Or numbers that were inflated relative to what opportunities they may have had if they had to earn time on a tougher team. No, not as bad as Big Country, but still... Also not sure what clippings got Gagner his deal, or Hemsky, or Horcoff? RNH, Hall and Eberle did / do not look that dangerous on their own to me. If those guys don't pan out as stars, the Oil will take a while... What it adds up to is they should trade one of their big 3, but will probably move Yak.

I'd be interested!

Pffft, link on that one article suggested the Oilers could trade Hemsky, "if thats what they wanted?"

Y'now... I still like Yakupov. One of my against CDC grain opinions. There were issues last year, but they had him going. So much for Eakins being the key which opens the development door on all their young stars.

The Oilers made the same mistake the Grizzlies did waaaay back when. Drafted Big Country Reeves, gave him sheltered free minutes in top line role status; then signed him to a massive contract. All the Oilers except Yak have been signed to press clipping contracts. Or numbers that were inflated relative to what opportunities they may have had if they had to earn time on a tougher team. No, not as bad as Big Country, but still... Also not sure what clippings got Gagner his deal, or Hemsky, or Horcoff? RNH, Hall and Eberle did / do not look that dangerous on their own to me. If those guys don't pan out as stars, the Oil will take a while... What it adds up to is they should trade one of their big 3, but will probably move Yak.

I'd be interested!

I am with you in the Yakupov signing/trade

Hall and Eberle will be worth those contracts in 3 seasons time, hell they might look like bargains. Even the Nuge provided he can start playing smart and stay healthy could be a bargain. Yakupov will be a perennial 30 goal scorer in this league if he gets the right line mates and some solid support from his club.

I am more stunned that Katz sent out that letter absolving Lowe the other day and basically stating it is all on Mac T. Even more stunned that they really think Hemsky and Gagner can get them what they need.

This is such a troubling team right now so much stockpiled talent yet so....bad.

As for the slow news, this is exactly why I started this thread, to avoid the endless speculatory threads that would come from reading TSN columns daily as they desperately try to drum up traffic on their site during the dog days of the season

I'd be interested!

After getting shut down on Schneids, it's unlikely they'll send any major talent to BC.(just a feeling)

After getting shut down on Schneids, it's unlikely they'll send any major talent to BC.(just a feeling)

If we offered them Tanev (insert C level prospect) and a 2nd round pick they'd HAVE to jump

And a hungry Yakupov is worth Tanev

I do like the idea of Smyth...Vet player can play either wing on any line could help the bottom6...Not going to get a young star from Edmonton as we sit now

To crowded for Smyth on our bottom 6. We are seeking top 6 material to bump tweener players back down to the 3rd and 4th lines where they belong.

If we offered them Tanev (insert C level prospect) and a 2nd round pick they'd HAVE to jump

I don't think they'd trade a 1st overall pick that would likely come back to haunt them when they actually get good to a divisional rival for a young top 4 RH shutdown guy, Mallet (for example), and a 2nd. Tanev is good, but not good enough to get Nail Yakupov from Edmonton. Add a guy like Shinkaruk who could actually replace Yakupov for them along with Tanev and maybe they start thinking about it.

Hawks dont need much. They are pretty much deep at every position.

To crowded for Smyth on our bottom 6. We are seeking top 6 material to bump tweener players back down to the 3rd and 4th lines where they belong.

tis true but I don't think Yak would do well...If im looking to package Tanev to Edmonton (not saying like that either) its going to be for Eberle...Hes probably more the oddman out then Hall who I would think they would want to keep far more...We need skill and size so I just don't see us making a deal with Edmonton a good idea short or long for 1 of their skill guys

I am with you in the Yakupov signing/trade

Hall and Eberle will be worth those contracts in 3 seasons time, hell they might look like bargains. Even the Nuge provided he can start playing smart and stay healthy could be a bargain. Yakupov will be a perennial 30 goal scorer in this league if he gets the right line mates and some solid support from his club.

I am more stunned that Katz sent out that letter absolving Lowe the other day and basically stating it is all on Mac T. Even more stunned that they really think Hemsky and Gagner can get them what they need.

This is such a troubling team right now so much stockpiled talent yet so....bad.

As for the slow news, this is exactly why I started this thread, to avoid the endless speculatory threads that would come from reading TSN columns daily as they desperately try to drum up traffic on their site during the dog days of the season

Did he absolve Lowe, tag MacT? (I did not read it, I'm interested...) Wow.

Anyway. I don't disagree the deals may look good in 3 years. But handing out unearned contracts has a habit of its own. It leaves you with bad contracts > see Horcoff, Hemsky... A better habit, even if one contract costs you more (see Subban) is handing them out only when warranted. At least that big one is for a true star, and saves you being saddled. I'd bet at least one if not two of RNH, Hall, Gagner and Eberle's deals hang the team up?

But, as much as things do not look rosy... They also have near $17 mill in cap space even now, maybe $25 million going into next season with defensive help in the form of Nurse, Klefbom and perhaps Ekblad on he horizon. They should be able to add size, speed and some oomph to their core. I suppose if MacT can't work with that, he should be fired by the end of next season.

LOL, A hungry Tanev (should put on some more weight) still will not get Yak.

Any Takers?

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported on RDS Thursday that Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin has informed the other 29 NHL teams that winger Rene Bourque is available.

Bourque has two more years left on his contract at a cap hit of $3.3 million per season.

Green Means Go?

According to Mike Wise of The Washington Post, it may be time for the Washington Capitals to move defencemanMike Green. Wise says Green could still bring the Capitals something good in return, maybe even a veteran tough guy or a defensive defenceman for a change.

According to Wise, it may take several trades, but seeing as how Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin are understandably untouchable, Green is the one who can bring the most back now. For both parties involved, he adds that Green should be moved for the right player or players as soon as George McPhee can get it done.

On An Island

Arthur Staple of New York Newsday writes that Thomas Vanek said he understands that the New York Islanders need to know in the next week or two whether he's open to signing with them long term. He also understands that if he can't give an answer or doesn't like a contract offer, the Islanders may trade him by the Mar. 5 deadline.

Vanek said even if he's traded, he'd consider signing with the Islanders if he hits the open market on July 1.

Forward Motion

Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic reports that the Phoinex Coyotes are on the lookout for help. The return of Zbynek Michalek has pretty much crossed a defenceman off general manager Don Maloney's wish list and directed all of his attention to finding offence.

"I don't want to trade a forward for another forward," Maloney said. "You're always looking to upgrade, but we're looking to add instead of give a forward to get a forward."

Rafa's All-Out?

The Montreal Canadiens may be in the thick of the Atlantic Division playoff race but that might not mean they won't look to move some players out before the deadline.

The Montreal Gazette speculates that defenceman Raphael Diaz could be a contract casualty before Mar. 5, as the Swiss puck-mover is a pending unrestricted free agent.

Diaz – who has 11 assists through 46 games this season could get priced out of Montreal, whose top priority of the summer will likely be getting P.K. Subban's name down on another contract.

No Jackets Required

The Columbus Blue Jackets enter Saturday's games with a hold on the third playoff spot in the Metropolitan Division, despite having none of their players listed amongst the NHL's top 50 scorers.

Could that pave the way for them to add an impact scorer before the deadline? The Hockey News speculates that the Jackets – a team with good depth both on their NHL roster as well as in their prospect pool – could be a team to watch on the trade front in the coming weeks.

The Jackets have one of the NHL's deepest prospect pools and could potentially afford to part with their first round pick in June's draft, netminder Oscar Dansk or even one of the three players they took in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft like Alexander Wennberg or Kerby Rychel in search of the right offensive upgrade.

Hockey News Writer Ken Campbell warns, however, that with a team performing at such a high level (see: their current eight-game winning streak) as a collective may be best left as it is.

Do the Bart Man

The Bruins could still be looking to upgrade their D in the wake of the season-ending injury to Dennis Seidenberg last month.

Bruins Insider Joe Haggerty believes that the B's could be dangling 25-year-old blueliner Matt Bartkowski in efforts to bring in a veteran D-man, such as the Ottawa Senators' Chris Phillips or the New York Islanders' Andrew MacDonald.

Bartkowski is no stranger to the rumour mill, however, as he was reportedly part of the package the Bruins offered up just a year ago in efforts to get Jarome Iginla out of Calgary.

Archived