The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How low will the team go before Gillis gets fired?

Anima

Not a knee jerk reaction because of ONE game

This is a team that has MAXED out its salary cap but yet have 3rd/4th liner players playing top 6 position (Dalpe with the Sedins, really??)

This is also a team that have very few prospects we are excited about (Horvat/Shinkaruk are not ready and everyone else are not consider elite prospects)

This is also a team that has already switched coaches (NOT a coaching issue)

When, just when will he get fired?

He wont be fired, the team is probably good enough to squeak in the playoffs, the team's net worth is at an all time high (4th most valuable) and he's got a close relationship with the owners.

Translation = more 'process' in the future.

Lu not in net

Lack pulled 3 goals on 13 shots

AHL goalie in net 6 goals allowed

+

Team deflated and angry not playing at their best because of the calls.

+

Playing against top team in the league in their building with the record they have

=

9-1 loss

They've lost 7 of 8 in another losing stretch. More problems than just this game

Lu not in net

Lack pulled 3 goals on 13 shots

AHL goalie in net 6 goals allowed

+

Team deflated and angry not playing at their best because of the calls.

+

Playing against top team in the league in their building with the record they have

=

9-1 loss

luongo would not have made a difference and blaming the refs is bush league

Definitely not a coaching issue. I think Torts have been one of the only bright spots this season (along with Lack, and Stanton).

Also the only reason we're maxed out on cap is because the league lowered the cap substantially. The team we have wouldn't have maxed out cap under the cap structure that the majority of the team was built on.

To answer your question, I think if he starts a rebuild, then Aquilini will give him a chance. If he stands pat after the season, then he's gone.

I want Gillis to make a decision. Either run us at the cup or dismantle it. When I was a kid I watched the Canucks finish in the middle for years and years. Never lousy enough to get a franchise player in the draft and obviously never good enough to win the cup.

You need to tank to get good players. Our best players were all tank players.

Linden -2nd overall

Bertuzzi and Mc Cabe traded for Linden

Bertuzzi traded for Luongo -4th overall

Sedins 3rd 4th overall

Kesler 23rd but in a ridiculously deep draft.

I would fire him if he just sits here and does nothing. The owner wont get much playoff revenue anyways. Why just go in to be blown away in 4 or 5 games?

Nothing is going to happen until after the playoffs. We'll probably tread just enough water to make it, get swept, and then if he is to go, that will be when.

His safety net in AV is obviously gone. There's nobody left to put the blame on.

Ask the Oilers about Lowe and his safety net that continues with every new coach...Hes not doing a bad job...Just because he wont get into the middle of a bidding war while we are cap roofed does not mean its the end of the world

Not a knee jerk reaction because of ONE game

This is a team that has MAXED out its salary cap but yet have 3rd/4th liner players playing top 6 position (Dalpe with the Sedins, really??)

This is also a team that have very few prospects we are excited about (Horvat/Shinkaruk are not ready and everyone else are not consider elite prospects)

This is also a team that has already switched coaches (NOT a coaching issue)

When, just when will he get fired?

Whenever he is, it will already have been too late. He should have been fired the minute after the Schneider trade. Not bothering to unload Edler before that dreadful contract kicked in should have been the final nail in the coffin.

It's not the coaching, Torts is trying his best to get the most out of his players but you cant make chicken salad out of chicken shiet ffs.

How can you build a team that has an aggressive fore-check when your top line is slow and plays peripheral hockey? How can you build a team that is tough to play against when your stars are soft as butter? If Gillis wanted a TOrts team, he needed to make moves for Torts type players. Far too many comfortable passengers on this team.

Ask the Oilers about Lowe and his safety net that continues with every new coach...Hes not doing a bad job...Just because he wont get into the middle of a bidding war while we are cap roofed does not mean its the end of the world

Capped to the max is, you know, something he had part in. So that shouldn't be an excuse. We need goals, said it before, I'll say it again. We've known this for seasons now. He's made nice depth additions but that is exactly what they are -- depth additions. That's not going to cut it..

Archived