The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time For A Change

icetime

Canucks need a change in the GM Office and in the Head Coach. Another two years of the current approach and the Canucks will be unrecognizeable. Once that hapens, the team will need complete rebuild. The Sedins will be to old to benefit from that rebuild. But they will have loyally endured the dismantling of a great team with no ring to show for it. Torts was a poor choice to coach this group. Is it too late to correct this mistake?

icetime, I'd suggest you read around the forums a bit before jumping straight to posting in the proposals and armchair GMing forum. You haven't posted with a proper tag, which is needed for any thread in this sub forum, and this isn't really a proposal anyway when you haven't suggested any alternative. You may be better off reading any of the threads in the Canucks Talk sub forum, where there are plenty of threads already about the current team, coach and management.

I figured everyone who responded to this would say "icetime, you don't know what your talking about" or "torts doesn't have the players to coach" blah blah blah. Here is the stark reality canuck's fans:

MIke Gillis has dismantled a championship calibur team under pressure from the fans of Vancouver, who ignorantly pushed for a change after a game-seven stanley cup loss. Mike Gillis has no integrity as a sports manager and crumbled under the pressure of a true hockey market. Our owners than proceeded to discard one the game's brightest coaches and hire a coach that has routinely struggled with every club he has coached (despite what many would argue is a great career, a few winning seasons strung along 14 years of coaching is not great feat. AV was able to consistently put a fun, entertaining, skillful, finely tuned and professional product on the ice. Now we have Tortorella who is pushing our guys into a pre-lockout era style of play fighting our way through games and dumping the puck only to chase it. East and West are only ancient philosophy at this point.

In response to Pears: This is indeed an original topic, so I suggest that you rethink your ability to respond to such situations. Since Tortorella's arrival our product on the ice has consistently decline and everyone in Vancouver has seemed to continue their support of one of the leagues most overrated coaches. Not once have I heard anyone second guess whether or not Tortorella is truly the right guy for Vancouver, and if that is what the majority of people in Vancouver think, than this club is in for a long haul. Everyone in hockey (the entire community, not just Vancouver) is unable to produce their own thought process about analyzing on a situation-to-situation basis. If one person of mild respectability states their approval of a decision, it seems that splitting an atom becomes easier than persuading the general public that that person may not possess the only available opinion.

To those that have pointed out icetime's "posting mistakes"- If you are that worried about the integrity of the posting guidelines of CDC, I suggest you simply don't click on the link that is "missing a tag" or has "improper proposal structure". It simply is not a big deal and the issue at hand is not their posting etiquette but rather, the fact that they are bringing up a valid point that no one else on CDC seems willing to do for fear of bombardment.

What we need is not philadelphia or phoenix's management. What we need is to model our organization after those of Detroit, Pittsburgh and San Jose who have more than consistently produced a highly skilled and finesse product on the ice. In Vancouver it seems we are all stuck on trying to mirror the temporary success of teams like LA and Boston. From the time Burke turned this club into an annual contender, until the day after our stanley cup loss, we had focused our club on finding the talent that put a truly unique product on the ice, what we display for our fans and as the representation of Canuck hockey now is simply glorified WHL hockey.

The Canucks are in dire need of full managerial overhaul that see's the likes of Gillis and Tortorella out of town. Vancouver had plenty of options, the best of which was to keep AV around for at least another year and not dismantle our championship calibur team. But now that AV is off the market, lets put Tortorella back on, sign Guy Boucher to a two-year contract and let Laurence Gilman take over for the remainder of the year until we can further address our managerial issues and so that Gillis does not make any more mistakes such as losing Torres, Lapierre (who let me make clear, has never played on a losing club and is clearly a huge part of every team he has played on), Malhotra, Ohlund, Erhoff and more.

Go Canucks Go

I figured everyone who responded to this would say "icetime, you don't know what your talking about" or "torts doesn't have the players to coach" blah blah blah. Here is the stark reality canuck's fans:

MIke Gillis has dismantled a championship calibur team under pressure from the fans of Vancouver, who ignorantly pushed for a change after a game-seven stanley cup loss. Mike Gillis has no integrity as a sports manager and crumbled under the pressure of a true hockey market. Our owners than proceeded to discard one the game's brightest coaches and hire a coach that has routinely struggled with every club he has coached (despite what many would argue is a great career, a few winning seasons strung along 14 years of coaching is not great feat. AV was able to consistently put a fun, entertaining, skillful, finely tuned and professional product on the ice. Now we have Tortorella who is pushing our guys into a pre-lockout era style of play fighting our way through games and dumping the puck only to chase it. East and West are only ancient philosophy at this point.

In response to Pears: This is indeed an original topic, so I suggest that you rethink your ability to respond to such situations. Since Tortorella's arrival our product on the ice has consistently decline and everyone in Vancouver has seemed to continue their support of one of the leagues most overrated coaches. Not once have I heard anyone second guess whether or not Tortorella is truly the right guy for Vancouver, and if that is what the majority of people in Vancouver think, than this club is in for a long haul. Everyone in hockey (the entire community, not just Vancouver) is unable to produce their own thought process about analyzing on a situation-to-situation basis. If one person of mild respectability states their approval of a decision, it seems that splitting an atom becomes easier than persuading the general public that that person may not possess the only available opinion.

To those that have pointed out icetime's "posting mistakes"- If you are that worried about the integrity of the posting guidelines of CDC, I suggest you simply don't click on the link that is "missing a tag" or has "improper proposal structure". It simply is not a big deal and the issue at hand is not their posting etiquette but rather, the fact that they are bringing up a valid point that no one else on CDC seems willing to do for fear of bombardment.

What we need is not philadelphia or phoenix's management. What we need is to model our organization after those of Detroit, Pittsburgh and San Jose who have more than consistently produced a highly skilled and finesse product on the ice. In Vancouver it seems we are all stuck on trying to mirror the temporary success of teams like LA and Boston. From the time Burke turned this club into an annual contender, until the day after our stanley cup loss, we had focused our club on finding the talent that put a truly unique product on the ice, what we display for our fans and as the representation of Canuck hockey now is simply glorified WHL hockey.

The Canucks are in dire need of full managerial overhaul that see's the likes of Gillis and Tortorella out of town. Vancouver had plenty of options, the best of which was to keep AV around for at least another year and not dismantle our championship calibur team. But now that AV is off the market, lets put Tortorella back on, sign Guy Boucher to a two-year contract and let Laurence Gilman take over for the remainder of the year until we can further address our managerial issues and so that Gillis does not make any more mistakes such as losing Torres, Lapierre (who let me make clear, has never played on a losing club and is clearly a huge part of every team he has played on), Malhotra, Ohlund, Erhoff and more.

Go Canucks Go

Keep dredging up past 'mistakes'. Keep bringing up players that were on the 2011 team. Keep pointing to the vaunted Detroit model. Fire Gillis and replace him with his right hand man. Bring back AV or gah replace Torts with Boucher! Do you realize how this diatribe above sounds? Some fan you are!

Keep dredging up past 'mistakes'. Keep bringing up players that were on the 2011 team. Keep pointing to the vaunted Detroit model. Fire Gillis and replace him with his right hand man. Bring back AV or gah replace Torts with Boucher! Do you realize how this diatribe above sounds? Some fan you are!

Being a fan does not entail supporting decisions regardless of their consequences. I don't know why so many Canucks fans are so short sighted, but the reality is a true fan rejoices for a team's success when warranted and yearns for better days when warranted. And if I am not mistaken, more than your fair share of posts have been expressing your dismay at certain players (what kind of fan is that?). When my team is making decisions that I don't personally agree with, as a true fan I will express my opinion on that issue. Maybe you are only worried about the canucks themselves but I am worried about the representation of my team, my city and rightfully so. Tortorella and Gillis have ruined this franchise (hopefully only temporarily) as a tandem.

And the mistakes I have "dredged" up are not in the past at all my friend. Their implications are ever present in our struggle to survive in this new conference after being a consistent league-wide force for many years under AV. The decisions made in a professional franchise are not only instantly gratifying, but they have echoing impacts for years to come and many decisions that our ownership and management have made in the past 3 years are continuing to greatly impact our productivity as a franchise.

When a GM is fired mid-season, they are rarely replaced with a long-term solution in that same season, which is why I suggest replacing him intermediately with Mr. Gilman and if you took the few extra seconds to read you would have been able to catch that. The only thing diatribe around here is the continuous applause of an under performing coaching staff on CDC and how quick everyone was to forget about the ability of our Canucks roster in years past. This franchise is a gem of the league, we don't we need to rebuild, we need to build year after year like the real franchises do, and yes I am "pointing to the vaunted Detroit model" because it is the only that has worked. Would you not be happy if the Canucks made the playoffs for 21 consecutive seasons and won 4 cups in that span? I mean come on guy, get real for a minute. Forget the "lets have the hometown boys and bring in a coach to toughen us up" shpeal. Scandinavia is a wonderful region this time of year, if you catch my drift, and if not let me spell it out for you- you don't build a hockey team on toughness in the 21st century, you build it on skill and professionalism.

I absolutely stand behind my claim that our current management and coaching staff is highly under-skilled to be running the Vancouver Canucks and for that matter that Guy Boucher would be the coach to carry us forward and that Gilman should take over in an interim position so that Gillis does not screw anything else up. I have sat for enough years watching my beloved Canucks get torn apart for no reason. Enough of this madness.

Like I have always said,

Go Canucks Go

Canucks need a change in the GM Office and in the Head Coach. Another two years of the current approach and the Canucks will be unrecognizeable. Once that hapens, the team will need complete rebuild. The Sedins will be to old to benefit from that rebuild. But they will have loyally endured the dismantling of a great team with no ring to show for it. Torts was a poor choice to coach this group. Is it too late to correct this mistake?

I stopped reading after that

We just changed coaches oh wait we have had problems in January better fire Tortz

Yes we better fire Torts January is not soon enough. Not a matter of time. It is a matter of how he coaches the team. Where do you see the upside. Torts was a desparation hire. How many serios contenders applied? Who was turned down? If Torts inherited the Panthers, sure give him a break. He inherited one of the best teams in the NHL. Poor trade deisions and poor coach selection leave the Caunuks a mediocre team. A mediocre team with one of the highest ticket prieces in the NHL. How long can that last?

Waiting is justified if the core concept seems vialble. What is the Torts core concept? He doesn't know and has never had a vision. He is just experimenting with a highly skilled premier team. His record in the West is pathetic and it won't change. You can stop reading -- no one likes bad news.

Archived