The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

West Coast Travel Aging Canucks Players Faster?

vancouverdepression

You have to wonder if players careers arent as long staying on a West Coast team because of the travel they endure over a full career. Granted Selanne is a freak exception i think but other than that look at the guys who played longer into their careers were from east coast teams? I have to think because of far less travel in their career they were able to play longer. Dont have the time to go look up all the figures but I would bet I am pretty spot on. What do you think? Are the Canucks vets falling victim to more wear and tear as opposed to their eastern counterparts because of travel over all these years?

Gretzky - LA, EDM

Yzerman - Detroit is in the east, but played in the western conference pretty much all his career

Sakic - Considerable amount of time in Colorado

Iginla - CGY

Pronger - STL, EDM, ANA

Lidstrom - Western conference

Brett Hull - STL, DAL

Modano - Dallas

Maybe killing penalties for the 1st time in years, or getting double-shifted & going up against the other team's top-checking-line or D-men more often than not...might have a little something to do with it. But generally the Sedins are lookin' pretty fit to me. Very lean - but fit.

Mentally - I think Tortorella's rants might be taking their toll on 'em at times. Especially since they're not likely to be bringing their families or their little kiddies back to the dressing-room areas so much any more. Just sayin...

Maybe killing penalties for the 1st time in years, or getting double-shifted & going up against the other team's top-checking-line or D-men more often than not...might have a little something to do with it. But generally the Sedins are lookin' pretty fit to me. Very lean - but fit.

Mentally - I think Tortorella's rants might be taking their toll on 'em at times. Especially since they're not likely to be bringing their families or their little kiddies back to the dressing-room areas so much any more. Just sayin...

I think you are just trying to dig here bud.

I'll fix the title of your thread

Bad play of the Canucks is lowering our place in the standings faster.

Gretzky - LA, EDM

Yzerman - Detroit is in the east, but played in the western conference pretty much all his career

Iginla - CGY

Pronger - STL, EDM, ANA

Brett Hull - STL, DAL

Modano - Dallas

Rather obvious one but Chris Chelios. 19 seasons in the West for the Hawks and Wings.

Despite all the travelling time I think it is remarkable how long this team has been able to stay competitive. I'm talking since 2001/2002 until now, the Canucks have been a playoff team for a long time without sinking to the basement of the league. I think it makes the western players more battle hardened and prepared for the playoffs. Look at the Californian teams... they keep getting better too.

Gretzky - LA, EDM

Iginla - CGY

Pronger - STL, EDM, ANA

Brett Hull - STL, DAL

Modano - Dallas

Every name you said is from the older era he is talking about now. Lidstrom was the only exception, iggy doesn't have 30 goals anymore.

OP might have a point take a look at this:

122-2286_IMG.jpg

2001-Young Ryan Getzleaf- Head full of hair

Ryan+Getzlaf+e6KMt2nDtXGm.jpg

2013- Older- Needs to join hair club

this guy is 28 (my dad is 55 and has more hair then this guy).

Actually, the opposite is true. According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity objects in motion experience time more slowly than objects at rest (relative to the object in motion).

The relationship between the two can be calculated using the following formula: t (fast) = t (rest) / sqrt ( 1 - (v/c)^2).

Ergo, teams that travel more (assuming they are flying and traveling at high speeds) will experience a shorter passage of time compared with teams that travel less.

Thus, West Coast Travel is Aging Canucks Players Slower.

On a side note, there is a classic thought experiment in physics called the Twin Paradox. Had one Sedin been drafted by Vancouver and the other by an eastern team (say NYR) we might have seen this in real life!

Actually, the opposite is true. According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity objects in motion experience time more slowly than objects at rest (relative to the object in motion).

The relationship between the two can be calculated using the following formula: t (fast) = t (rest) / sqrt ( 1 - (v/c)^2).

Ergo, teams that travel more (assuming they are flying and traveling at high speeds) will experience a shorter passage of time compared with teams that travel less.

Thus, West Coast Travel is Aging Canucks Players Slower.

On a side note, there is a classic thought experiment in physics called the Twin Paradox. Had one Sedin been drafted by Vancouver and the other by an eastern team (say NYR) we might have seen this in real life!

Under Mach 1 the time dilation would be what, fractions of a second? It would be different if they were flying at 1/3rd of the speed of light. When you fly to London, or Hong Kong, or New York. Note the time when you leave, and note the time you arrive. Adjust for the time zones and see how far your watch is off. I bet it's minimal.

Archived