The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A realistic Canuck PMD target?

If we could get Campbell to play with Garrison and on the PP then that would be awesome. That's the biggest problem with our D, nobody can carry the puck up the ice.

Half the current problem with our forward group as well, nobody wants to skate the puck into the zone. That dump and chase thing is old and was figured out many moons ago

I usually agree with you Warhippy but this time you truly are talking out of your ass. The fast vs smooth debate is all relative. Every player in the NHL is fast, there's a reason they're pro hockey players, some however are much faster than others. These "fast skaters" are usually the smoothest skaters on their teams.

Being a smooth skater indicates that you're conserving momentum and building up that momentum thus making you a faster skater. There's a reason players work on their skating stride, it's because it makes you a much better skater. Genetics can only take you so far. All the fastest skaters are smooth skaters, how fast they end up, depends on other factors (how often they worked on it while they were young, genetics, etc). I also cannot believe you called Thornton a fast skater. Compared to me, sure he's fast. Compared to Mackinnon or Kesler, Thornton's a sloth. Heck you could even argue the Sedin's are faster than Thornton.

Now back on topic, Ehrhoff worked out here because not only did he possess great offensive tools and a great mind for the game, he was also a very good skater. The Sedins transition game became unbelievably better than where it is now because of the combination of his speed and smarts. That's the problem with our defense. We have defenders who are either smart and make a solid first pass, or we have defenders who are simply fast.

I usually agree with you Warhippy but this time you truly are talking out of your ass. The fast vs smooth debate is all relative. Every player in the NHL is fast, there's a reason they're pro hockey players, some however are much faster than others. These "fast skaters" are usually the smoothest skaters on their teams.

Being a smooth skater indicates that you're conserving momentum and building up that momentum thus making you a faster skater. There's a reason players work on their skating stride, it's because it makes you a much better skater. Genetics can only take you so far. All the fastest skaters are smooth skaters, how fast they end up, depends on other factors (how often they worked on it while they were young, genetics, etc). I also cannot believe you called Thornton a fast skater. Compared to me, sure he's fast. Compared to Mackinnon or Kesler, Thornton's a sloth. Heck you could even argue the Sedin's are faster than Thornton.

Now back on topic, Ehrhoff worked out here because not only did he possess great offensive tools and a great mind for the game, he was also a very good skater. The Sedins transition game became unbelievably better than where it is now because of the combination of his speed and smarts. That's the problem with our defense. We have defenders who are either smart and make a solid first pass, or we have defenders who are simply fast.

I called Thorton a smooth skater not a fast skater, skating was one of his knocks in his pre draft bio.

Please again read the whole comment

Your statement makes no sense. The Canucks transition game is severely lacking, and need a defense man can rush into the offensive zone, to allow the Twins to get set up.

If there was a speedy forwards, then there would be no point of a speedy D, because you'll already have options to enter the zone. Understand, the team is lacking overall speed. The Twins have average speed, and it's because Ehrhoff could move as well as he could, that he gave the Twins the extra space, and time to put up Art Ross type seasons.

my-nigga.jpg

I called Thorton a smooth skater not a fast skater, skating was one of his knocks in his pre draft bio.

Please again read the whole comment

I apologize, I went off memory, should've fact checked myself. Regardless, Thornton isn't even a smooth skater. Looks like he's struggling to move every time he takes a stride. Reminds me of how Franzen skates.

I understand what Warhippy is talking about with the smooth v. fast debate, but I think part of why 'der Hoffa was so successful here was because he was not only smooth, but fast enough to make the defending players misjudge their gaps, opening up the offensive rush game.

Hammer is a smooth skater, but he doesn't possess the burst necessary to be a PMD of the Erhoff variety.

To me, a PMD that benefits this team is a player who can make a clean breakout pass, carry the puck end to end, and catch up to the rush play for some cheap goals. Tanev is the closest thing the Canucks have to a PMD, and despite his improvement, he isn't close to being an impact PMD who boosts the point totals of the forwards he plays with.

I know Ehrhoff is seen as some sort of missing piece from a once successful PP but chances are the PP would have struggled with him too eventually. And it wasn't effective at all during the playoffs.

And remember Ehrhoff when traded from SJ was a cap dump, he had 42 points but everybody assumed because of linemates. He was -12 on a team where everybody else was a +. He turned his game around and earn the big paycheque as a PMD here.

Campbell, while very good probably would be less effective here. He's a key player for FLA. Here he would be reduced to point-man on the PP, like he was with CHI. May not be the best situation for him.

Getting a top level/high priced PMD may be wasted. While the play revolves around the Sedins, they run the play. And it takes a different type of player to be good at supporting vs a leader type or a player used to being the go-to guy.

Tanev was flying 4-on-4 in OT vs CGY. Give him time.

Archived