The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers owner reaches out to fans

Magikal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441705

dmonton Oilers owner, Daryl Katz, wrote an open letter to fans regarding the Oilers' season to date.

Edmonton sits in last place in the Western Conference with a 15-30-6 record for 36 points. The Oilers haven't made the playoffs in seven seasons.

Daryl Katz's message to fans.

To Oilers Fans Everywhere:

We all thought this was going to be the year the Oilers turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn't happened, and it hurts. It's frustrating – for all of us. For our fans, for our players and staff, and for everyone in our community who shares a common bond around a game, a team and a city that we love.

I know this will almost certainly be the eighth consecutive year since we made the playoffs. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year four of the rebuild that started when we draftedTaylor Hall. The good news, if you can call it that, is that other teams that committed to fundamental rebuilds went through the same kind of droughts over the same kind of time frames, or longer. That doesn't make it fun for anyone; it just means we have to stay the course.

Yes, we hoped and expected to be better this year – there's no question about that. But we've also been more active than any team I can think of in rebuilding our organization from bottom to top by supporting player development in OKC and Bakersfield, revamping our scouting organization, naming a new GM and a new coach, signing free agents like Justin Schultz,Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference, Anton Belov and Ilya Bryzgalov, and trading for players like David Perron, and now Ben Scrivens and Matt Hendricks. And we're not done.

But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they're not coming back. If we're going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.

I hear a lot from fans about accountability, so let's be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, Kevin, Craig, Dallas, every player who wears our jersey, and every member of our staff. I know Kevin is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that's really unfortunate. Kevin is a big part of our organization, and it's not just the Oilers that value his knowledge and perspective. He is consistently chosen, year after year, to play a leadership role with Hockey Canada. But when it comes down to it, this is Craig MacTavish's team. He is the GM. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup -- year in and year out for years to come.

That's our vision. We are committed to it -- and we're confident that we are on the right track.

Our fans have been incredibly patient and supportive. At the same time, we know there's a lot of frustration and we are asking you to hang in there while we fight through this and put the next few pieces of the team in place.

I'll tell you this, despite everything, we all wear our Oilers colours with the same pride now as we ever have, and as we will when we're back on top. We hope you'll do the same.

We value our fans, we hear you, and we appreciate your support.

Daryl Katz

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441705

dmonton Oilers owner, Daryl Katz, wrote an open letter to fans regarding the Oilers' season to date.

Edmonton sits in last place in the Western Conference with a 15-30-6 record for 36 points. The Oilers haven't made the playoffs in seven seasons.

Daryl Katz's message to fans.

To Oilers Fans Everywhere:

We all thought this was going to be the year the Oilers turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn't happened, and it hurts. It's frustrating – for all of us. For our fans, for our players and staff, and for everyone in our community who shares a common bond around a game, a team and a city that we love.

I know this will almost certainly be the eighth consecutive year since we made the playoffs. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year four of the rebuild that started when we draftedTaylor Hall. The good news, if you can call it that, is that other teams that committed to fundamental rebuilds went through the same kind of droughts over the same kind of time frames, or longer. That doesn't make it fun for anyone; it just means we have to stay the course.

Yes, we hoped and expected to be better this year – there's no question about that. But we've also been more active than any team I can think of in rebuilding our organization from bottom to top by supporting player development in OKC and Bakersfield, revamping our scouting organization, naming a new GM and a new coach, signing free agents like Justin Schultz,Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference, Anton Belov and Ilya Bryzgalov, and trading for players like David Perron, and now Ben Scrivens and Matt Hendricks. And we're not done.

But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they're not coming back. If we're going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.

I hear a lot from fans about accountability, so let's be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, Kevin, Craig, Dallas, every player who wears our jersey, and every member of our staff. I know Kevin is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that's really unfortunate. Kevin is a big part of our organization, and it's not just the Oilers that value his knowledge and perspective. He is consistently chosen, year after year, to play a leadership role with Hockey Canada. But when it comes down to it, this is Craig MacTavish's team. He is the GM. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup -- year in and year out for years to come.

That's our vision. We are committed to it -- and we're confident that we are on the right track.

Our fans have been incredibly patient and supportive. At the same time, we know there's a lot of frustration and we are asking you to hang in there while we fight through this and put the next few pieces of the team in place.

I'll tell you this, despite everything, we all wear our Oilers colours with the same pride now as we ever have, and as we will when we're back on top. We hope you'll do the same.

We value our fans, we hear you, and we appreciate your support.

Daryl Katz

Ok this stands out so much

Craig MacTavish is the coach that got this team to the finals in 06. macT is the last man that gave this team success.

Katz is saying the fault of the teams success lies with MacT.

The issue is the last 7 years the single common denominator has been Kevin Lowe and his two tier fan belief.

If my cars brakes are failing I do not replace the windshield wipers, Clutch, Gas Pump and seat belt. I replace the bloody brakes before I go off of a cliff.

Think on that phrase for a second.

The single common person in the midst of 7 years of historical failure, soon to be 4 #1 overall picks as it looks is Kevin Lowe. But you are already shuffling the blame over to Mac T if the team does not succeed.

Shameful

Ok this stands out so much

Craig MacTavish is the coach that got this team to the finals in 06. macT is the last man that gave this team success.

Katz is saying the fault of the teams success lies with MacT.

The issue is the last 7 years the single common denominator has been Kevin Lowe and his two tier fan belief.

If my cars brakes are failing I do not replace the windshield wipers, Clutch, Gas Pump and seat belt. I replace the bloody brakes before I go off of a cliff.

Think on that phrase for a second.

The single common person in the midst of 7 years of historical failure, soon to be 4 #1 overall picks as it looks is Kevin Lowe. But you are already shuffling the blame over to Mac T if the team does not succeed.

Shameful

Id fire everybody...None of them are getting it done MacT needs to return to coaching Lowe needs to go completely and replaced with say Messier or Gretzky...Their problem is completely on management

i like how he writes this letter now so the Oilers can be "excused" and tank for another #1 draft pick.

How the hell do they play worst than Buffalo?? How da hell!

Better question,

How after 7 years of rebuilding and 3 consecutive # 1 overall picks does Buffalo stand a better chance of being competitive next year than they do?

Mac T is a good man . He confused the hell out of us when he just dumped Smid for no reason, but his pick ups in the offseason and since are alright. I dont undrestand the Ference Captaincy. It should be Taylor Hall.

Kevin Lowe was a great defenseman and good team mate. He sucks as a GM or Vice president or Hockey Operations. He needs to be let go or pushed into scouting.

The irony is if there were rules in place that wouldn't allow teams to draft 1rst overall so many years in a row that the Oilers would have been forced to draft deeper and get more character prospects then small stars. They'd have probably turned that corner by now.

Toews and Kane saved Chicago from the same fate by being good out of the gate.

Mac T is a good man . He confused the hell out of us when he just dumped Smid for no reason, but his pick ups in the offseason and since are alright. I dont undrestand the Ference Captaincy. It should be Taylor Hall.

Kevin Lowe was a great defenseman and good team mate. He sucks as a GM or Vice president or Hockey Operations. He needs to be let go or pushed into scouting.

While I agree that Ference isn't captain material (see Montreal middle finger/crowd incident), Taylor Hall is definitely not ready to be a captain either at this point in his career. He's still immature, and often shows his frustrations on the ice very easily.

Only thing that keeps me sane while watching the Canucks this season is thinking "at least I'm not an Oilers fan", I don't have the patience to watch my team miss the playoffs for 8 straight years.

On another note, congrats to the Oilers on being the first to reach a -50 goal differential this season!!

I find this a rather refreshing, straight-up release from the owner. Unfortunately, I just don't think anyone in the organization even knows what is going on with the team and why they have not managed to be successful in year 4 of their rebuild. If they figured it out, this team would be doing far better than they are - given the obvious talent they possess. It is clear their defense (which includes the goalie) is suspect. When your top players are minuses well into the teens that shows to me a lack of defensive-minded players or defensive-minded play of the players. So are the players simply incapable of playing well in both ends of the rink, or is the coach not pushing them to play in such a manner?

I think the answer to that question may help explain if fault lies in management for obtaining only one-way players, or if it lies with Eakins and previous coaches for not focusing on 2-way play.

Archived