The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers owner reaches out to fans

Magikal

Please, he was making sure he could get the same amount of season ticket renewals if not more when he wrote that.

Not many owners would hire unqualified management and allow them to run the franchise into the ground for so many years I've lost track.

At least it's something? <_<

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441705

dmonton Oilers owner, Daryl Katz, wrote an open letter to fans regarding the Oilers' season to date.

Edmonton sits in last place in the Western Conference with a 15-30-6 record for 36 points. The Oilers haven't made the playoffs in seven seasons.

Daryl Katz's message to fans.

To Oilers Fans Everywhere:

We all thought this was going to be the year the Oilers turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn't happened, and it hurts. It's frustrating – for all of us. For our fans, for our players and staff, and for everyone in our community who shares a common bond around a game, a team and a city that we love.

I know this will almost certainly be the eighth consecutive year since we made the playoffs. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year four of the rebuild that started when we draftedTaylor Hall. The good news, if you can call it that, is that other teams that committed to fundamental rebuilds went through the same kind of droughts over the same kind of time frames, or longer. That doesn't make it fun for anyone; it just means we have to stay the course.

Yes, we hoped and expected to be better this year – there's no question about that. But we've also been more active than any team I can think of in rebuilding our organization from bottom to top by supporting player development in OKC and Bakersfield, revamping our scouting organization, naming a new GM and a new coach, signing free agents like Justin Schultz,Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference, Anton Belov and Ilya Bryzgalov, and trading for players like David Perron, and now Ben Scrivens and Matt Hendricks. And we're not done.

But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they're not coming back. If we're going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.

I hear a lot from fans about accountability, so let's be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, Kevin, Craig, Dallas, every player who wears our jersey, and every member of our staff. I know Kevin is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that's really unfortunate. Kevin is a big part of our organization, and it's not just the Oilers that value his knowledge and perspective. He is consistently chosen, year after year, to play a leadership role with Hockey Canada. But when it comes down to it, this is Craig MacTavish's team. He is the GM. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup -- year in and year out for years to come.

That's our vision. We are committed to it -- and we're confident that we are on the right track.

Our fans have been incredibly patient and supportive. At the same time, we know there's a lot of frustration and we are asking you to hang in there while we fight through this and put the next few pieces of the team in place.

I'll tell you this, despite everything, we all wear our Oilers colours with the same pride now as we ever have, and as we will when we're back on top. We hope you'll do the same.

We value our fans, we hear you, and we appreciate your support.

Daryl Katz

I loath Edmonton and Calgary equally. That said Edmonton's ownership is miles ahead when it comes to respecting their fans by addressing them publicly and sharing in their frustration . The guy that owns the team is a fan too. Just like the Aquilini's, they love their team.

Now down in Calgary, since hiring and firing Darryl Sutter as their GM, hiring and firing Jay Fiester as GM and now having Brian Burke at the helm not once has ownership come out and apologized for some of the most pathetic showings for a Canadian NHL in recent memory. What's Calgary ownership saying to it's fans? As they turn their back stuffing their pockets full of money not even having the decency to look fans in the eye. Thanks for coming out, see you next game.

Maybe it boils down to Flames fans paying to watch that garbage.

Who would you sooner have as an owner. I'll take the Edmonton guy any day. That said he needs to get professionals in to run the show. Old school hacks aren't cutting it. TMac is a pretty good coach, he's no GM. This team has a long way to go.

I loath Edmonton and Calgary equally. That said Edmonton's ownership is miles ahead when it comes to respecting their fans by addressing them publicly and sharing in their frustration . The guy that owns the team is a fan too. Just like the Aquilini's, they love their team.

Now down in Calgary, since hiring and firing Darryl Sutter as their GM, hiring and firing Jay Fiester as GM and now having Brian Burke at the helm not once has ownership come out and apologized for some of the most pathetic showings for a Canadian NHL in recent memory. What's Calgary ownership saying to it's fans? As they turn their back stuffing their pockets full of money not even having the decency to look fans in the eye. Thanks for coming out, see you next game.

Maybe it boils down to Flames fans paying to watch that garbage.

Who would you sooner have as an owner. I'll take the Edmonton guy any day. That said he needs to get professionals in to run the show. Old school hacks aren't cutting it. TMac is a pretty good coach, he's no GM. This team has a long way to go.

to be fair, Calgary's ownership will probably come out and apologize to their fans if they are still a bottom feeder for years AFTER getting THREE first overall drafts and managed to screw up most of them by picking the wrong player. Hell can you imagine what will happen to their fans when Yakupov walk away after having enough with the current treatment?

to be fair, Calgary's ownership will probably come out and apologize to their fans if they are still a bottom feeder for years AFTER getting THREE first overall drafts and managed to screw up most of them by picking the wrong player. Hell can you imagine what will happen to their fans when Yakupov walk away after having enough with the current treatment?

It's funny, I might be one of the few people who thinks that it wouldn't have mattered if they had drafted Seguin, Landeskog/Huberdeau, Murray/Galchenyuk. The Oiler's trades haven't been great, so I'm sure trading down would have backfired anyway with whomever they requested to come back in return for the 1st overall pick and subsequent draft pick. The issue now is management's insistence that the current group is good enough. Their defensive depth and future is looking bleak, and their goaltending is, well we all know. The only way to instantly improve that team to where it should be is trading for two top 4 defensemen. They have the right pieces available to get it down, their management is just too simple to pull the trigger.

It's funny, I might be one of the few people who thinks that it wouldn't have mattered if they had drafted Seguin, Landeskog/Huberdeau, Murray/Galchenyuk. The Oiler's trades haven't been great, so I'm sure trading down would have backfired anyway with whomever they requested to come back in return for the 1st overall pick and subsequent draft pick. The issue now is management's insistence that the current group is good enough. Their defensive depth and future is looking bleak, and their goaltending is, well we all know. The only way to instantly improve that team to where it should be is trading for two top 4 defensemen. They have the right pieces available to get it down, their management is just too simple to pull the trigger.

so you are saying that it won't matter if they drafted Murray over Yakupov.... then come right back there and tell me their defensive depth and future is looking bleak?

so you are saying that it won't matter if they drafted Murray over Yakupov.... then come right back there and tell me their defensive depth and future is looking bleak?

No, what I'm saying is that the Oilers would be just as bad as they are right now, fighting for 1st overall again. Murray is (hopefully) going to be good, but right now, he's nothing special because it takes time for defensemen to develop.

I don't like owners sending out letters like these.

It just feels like they are weak and are just giving excuses to themselves and their management team to deflect some of the criticism they had over the years.

It has been what, 6-7 years, since they have been a team that has been competitive. There seems to be going in a good direction last year and then they decided to fire the coach that seems to get something working.

They hire a new coach this year, decided to defend him despite his numerous outrageous behavior towards the fans and a team that has clearly underachieved by a lot when compared to the team last season. Then in this so called letter for forgiveness, called out the GM that has less than a year to turn around things? How many GMs can turn around the team in 1 year?

It seems like he is just trying to cover his and Lowe and management's bum so that they can again sell tickets despite putting out a crappy team that provides very limited entertainment value year after year. If it is any other business, all the management would've been fired like 3 years ago.

Just fire the management team and start building a management team that can hopefully build a team.

I don't like owners sending out letters like these.

It just feels like they are weak and are just giving excuses to themselves and their management team to deflect some of the criticism they had over the years.

It has been what, 6-7 years, since they have been a team that has been competitive. There seems to be going in a good direction last year and then they decided to fire the coach that seems to get something working.

They hire a new coach this year, decided to defend him despite his numerous outrageous behavior towards the fans and a team that has clearly underachieved by a lot when compared to the team last season. Then in this so called letter for forgiveness, called out the GM that has less than a year to turn around things? How many GMs can turn around the team in 1 year?

It seems like he is just trying to cover his and Lowe and management's bum so that they can again sell tickets despite putting out a crappy team that provides very limited entertainment value year after year. If it is any other business, all the management would've been fired like 3 years ago.

Just fire the management team and start building a management team that can hopefully build a team.

You're probably not paying for season tickets either.

Looks like the letter is falling on deaf ears :-)

Fans parked a trailer in front of the Oilers admin offices with a "lowe must go" billboard.

BeiQMdtCEAA1PXl.jpg

A fan group has rented time on a highway billboard for 4 weeks:

BejdgY-CcAEGiJ3.jpg

As Canuck fans we need to start a "Lowe must stay" campaign :-)

Dear fans, I know we suck and it is hard to watch. But we need to continue to suck until we learn to draft the right amount of players who actually know how to play defence.

We are all acountable here, especially Craig. If anything our success and failure largely depends on him. If we continue to suck, blame him. Please buy our tickets, and maybe we'll suck less.

Only the 4th year of the rebuild.... lol they've had how many 1st overall picks and they still cant turn things around, that is horrible mismanagement. Hilarious how people thought they would be the next Chicago.

They will be, so enjoy our domination over them while it lasts.

What management needs to do is trade 2 or 3 of their young guns to make the team competitive.

I could see that happening next year but for now they probably want a shot at Ekblad.

And frankly I don't blame em.

Archived