The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Schroeder & a 3rd 2014 for Erik Cole & a 6th 2014, Booth & a 4th 2014 for Marcel Goc

Rumour has it that Cole will be deadline bait.

Pacing for ~25 goals. Big-bodied LWer. Good replacement for Booth. Was a useful player for a couple of Canes' runs. Nothing special anymore, but gets the job done and shores up Canucks' W depth for a decent playoff run. Can provide some offense if anyone in the top-6 dries up.

Canucks & Stars made a deal last year for a vet, so previous trading history. Schroeder has high potential, but doesn't really fit into the Canucks' future with Sedin-Kesler in the top-6 and Horvat well on his way.

Weise is a throw-in, who Gillis has offered up to every team in the NHL. This is a move out of respect for Weise, who deserves to be in the NHL, but is not good enough for the Canucks.

Low-cost rental who can be dynamite if he can find the drive he had in his Canes' days, otherwise is still good depth.

Schroeder, Weise & a 3rd 2014 for Erik Cole, & a 6th 2014

Then move Booth. Marcel Goc is a reliable bottom-6 center who can provide a little offense. He is on pace for ~15 goals this year and last year paced for 17. He's a 20-30 pointer who plays his role well and was always reliable in the Sharks' playoff runs. With the Panthers he played a large role in their only playoff series and did well. With Goc & Richardson covering the bottom-6 C spots, the Canucks C depth is shored up.

The Panthers take a pick in the year they host the draft and take another chance at Booth who loved playing in Florida and had success there. They can give him the rest of the season as a 'try-out' and put him on waivers/buy him out if worse comes to worse.

Another low cost rental who acts as a solution to one of the Canucks' problems.

Booth & a 4th 2015 for Marcel Goc

Healthy playoff line up (forwards):

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Cole - Goc - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Kassian

Dalpe

Players from the minors who can join the team: Ferriero, Grenier, Archibald, Lain, and Jensen.

These deals don't solve the Canucks' 'scoring threat' winger they're missing, but it makes the team able to contend in any series. This is a method of contending without breaking the bank on rentals. I don't think the Canucks can become favourites this year without making a huge deal (such as for O'Reilly or Evander Kane), but I still think GMMG should do something to shore up the Canucks' depth and give the Canucks' a shot in each series.

These moves remind my of keith carney and eric wienrich. Pass on both. Would rather have a guy like konopka for a 7th rounder then what we are giving up for these guys.

It reminds me more of Chris Higgins & Max Lapierre. A 3rd line LWer with top-6 past numbers and a capable bottom-6 centre on the last year of his contract.

I see your point though. However, Nonis did it in a last ditch attempt to make the playoffs. Right now, it looks pretty strongly like the Canucks will make it into the playoffs, but they don't have contender-esque depth.

And even though Cole is not the player he once was, he is on pace for 22 goals and throws over a hit per game. On a playoff-bound team, perhaps he could do even a little better.

All trades involve risk, but I think these trades have relatively low risk. As I said, it is my opinion, I think the Canucks' need a bit more depth, at the very least, to be contenders and move past the first round and I think a playoff run is important before they have an opportunity to reload a little bit in the off-season instead of overpaying at the deadline.

Just my two cents.

It reminds me more of Chris Higgins & Max Lapierre. A 3rd line LWer with top-6 past numbers and a capable bottom-6 centre on the last year of his contract.

I see your point though. However, Nonis did it in a last ditch attempt to make the playoffs. Right now, it looks pretty strongly like the Canucks will make it into the playoffs, but they don't have contender-esque depth.

And even though Cole is not the player he once was, he is on pace for 22 goals and throws over a hit per game. On a playoff-bound team, perhaps he could do even a little better.

All trades involve risk, but I think these trades have relatively low risk. As I said, it is my opinion, I think the Canucks' need a bit more depth, at the very least, to be contenders and move past the first round and I think a playoff run is important before they have an opportunity to reload a little bit in the off-season instead of overpaying at the deadline.

Just my two cents.

Higgins and Lapierre were a lot younger then these 2 so I think its entirely different. These guys are heading down hill fast whereas Max and Chris had lost their way but were still heading into their prime physically. I think that they are too mediocre and not too much better then what we have now especially given the return they would get for each in your proposal I would pass. Give you credit though this proposal is realistic and that's better then 99% of the ones that get posted on here.I would personally target shawn Matthias before targeting Goc from Florida.

Higgins and Lapierre were a lot younger then these 2 so I think its entirely different. These guys are heading down hill fast whereas Max and Chris had lost their way but were still heading into their prime physically. I think that they are too mediocre and not too much better then what we have now especially given the return they would get for each in your proposal I would pass. Give you credit though this proposal is realistic and that's better then 99% of the ones that get posted on here.I would personally target shawn Matthias before targeting Goc from Florida.

Fair enough. Goc is 3 years older now than Higgins was, but he's not really 'lost'. He could step in and continue to play the way he has been all year and be better than at least 4/6 of our bottom six. Cole is a little lost, and yes he's older, but only a season removed from a 60 point year, so considering he is pacing for 22 goals, it isn't unrealistic that he could go on a run pre-contract.

I like the idea of Matthias as well.

Cole=Booth 2.0

1) Trade #1

We're not trading a player we have developed for 4+ years for Booth 2.0

-This trade will also lead to 10+ Years of people whining that Gillis gave up Schroeder for Nothing.

2) Trade #2

Booth 1.0 is not wanted in Florida, proved by the fact that they traded him to us.

Schroeder, Weise & a 3rd 2014 for Erik Cole, & a 6th 2014

Cole has a NTC, which suggests to me that he wants to finish his current contract, if not his career, in Dallas. I'm not saying that he wouldn't come here, or that he wouldn't be useful if he did. I just haven't heard anything which says he is unhappy where he is and wants to be moved.

The cap difference is not in favour of the Canucks. They pick up an additional $3.1 million in this deal.

I'm not sure how Schroeder fits in with Dallas. They have Seguin, Faksa and Eakin at center which may mean that Schroeder becomes a spare part there. I don't see the Stars being all that interested.

Booth & a 4th 2015 for Marcel Goc

As was pointed out by playboi19, Florida likely has little interest in re-acquiring Booth, unless there was some kind of financial benefit in the transaction. Goc is on the last year of his current deal. Booth has one more year left after this season. You have the Panthers taking back Booth, who would bring an increase to their cap of $2.5 million this year, and an additional $4.2 for next season, for a 4th round pick.

I suspect that the Panthers would pass on this proposal.

regards,

G.

Archived