The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spices

CatsPajamas

Since Im on a low salt diet I cant use 99% of the rubs and spice mixes out there and absolutely no soy sauce(terriyaki) since its basically condensed sodium. Mrs Dash original mix is a good one with 0 sodium and works on a lot of dishes. Otherwise it just depends on whats cooking. Fresh chopped garlic is in a lot of what I make.

I like rosemary and basil what about you?

:ph34r: Those are herbs, not spices.

I love using fresh herbs. Mostly dried herbs go into my bolognese, then stir in a load of fresh basil before eating.

Spice wise, everything. It's impossible to pick a favourite as I am always combo-ing up to layer flavours. I add cocoa and cinnamon to my beef and pork chilli, along with the usual suspects of cumin and coriander of course.

I also buy different varieties of whole dried chili peppers, toast them up in a pan, remove all the seeds, let cool, then blend up in my bud buster - er - spice grinder. Home made chili powder is the best. Add some dried herbs, fresh garlic, olive oil, quick chicken rub for a badass pasta.

Great thread. I can talk about food all day until everyone gets hungry.

Since Im on a low salt diet I cant use 99% of the rubs and spice mixes out there and absolutely no soy sauce(terriyaki) since its basically condensed sodium. Mrs Dash original mix is a good one with 0 sodium and works on a lot of dishes. Otherwise it just depends on whats cooking. Fresh chopped garlic is in a lot of what I make.

Not assuming anything here, but if you are on a low salt diet and find your food occasionally bland, add a couple shakes of a vinegar to what you are cooking. I season with vinegars all the time. I also use salt, but just the right amount of vinegar brightens up the flavours around it. Just don't overdo it!

In my fridge and cupboard I have about 9 different vinegars.

CatsPajamas, you can now inform me that vinegar is not a spice.

:lol:

My pasta sauce consists of:

3 parts Olive Oil, 1 part butter

3 cloves of garlic

3 tablespoons of a basil pesto sauce

oregano, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt, pepper

allow to simmer and melt handful of shredded mozzarella in sauce.

best served with chicken marinated in garlic and red pepper flakes

linguine noodles

finish with parsley and serve

your welcome (except for your breath)

Pretty healthy really, 1 part butter and a handful of cheese is no biggie. Sounds tasty.

This reminds me now of a healthy oatmeal bite comment someone made about this recipe:

1004060_10151564618817620_1813781142_n.jpg

I made mine with meat instead of oatmeal, and I subbed in some basil & garlic for the chocolate and pb. I went ahead and used olive oil instead of honey and vanilla, then I wrapped them in bacon and deep fried them for about five minutes before finishing them off in the oven while I took a smoke break.

For offensive threat if there are mixes that you used to like but can't have just make your own. Besides, all the good ones are based on pepper and garlic anyways. Get some good herbs and remember things like browned onions can replace some of the savoury you are missing from the salt. For things like beef and chicken stock (store bought is basically liquid or cub salt too) boil up some beef bones or chicken bones and make your own from scratch.

If I had to pick one spice to give up it would be salt for sure.

:ph34r: Those are herbs, not spices.

I love using fresh herbs. Mostly dried herbs go into my bolognese, then stir in a load of fresh basil before eating.

Spice wise, everything. It's impossible to pick a favourite as I am always combo-ing up to layer flavours. I add cocoa and cinnamon to my beef and pork chilli, along with the usual suspects of cumin and coriander of course.

I also buy different varieties of whole dried chili peppers, toast them up in a pan, remove all the seeds, let cool, then blend up in my bud buster - er - spice grinder. Home made chili powder is the best. Add some dried herbs, fresh garlic, olive oil, quick chicken rub for a badass pasta.

Great thread. I can talk about food all day until everyone gets hungry.

soooo, your bud is spiced then? that can't be good...

Archived