The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] MacDonald turns down 4 Year 16 Million Deal.

- A franchise rich in history

- A new arena soon

- Playing with the likes of John Tavares, Thomas Vanek (possibly re-signing now), Kyle Okposo, Travis Hamonic etc

- Would be a leader on the team, a go-to guy which he isn't for us

- Perhaps gain some appreciation from the fans for a change

- New York baby

- More chance of playing in Winter Classics you'd imagine

- International team-mates Lundqvist and Hagelin nearby (so wouldn't necessarily miss the twins)

- Perhaps he'd blossom in the East, rather than the bruising West

Just a few reasons, maybe some of them are wishy-washy, but there are plenty of reasons to waive for an up-and-coming side like the Isles.

Sounds like a role play for a used car sales job.

Or gearing up to sell a used hockey player... :rolleyes:

- The Oilers are also a franchise rich history, do you think he'd waive for them as well?

- Rogers arena is known around the league to be one of the finest buildings to play hockey in

- He has Lundqvist nearby? lol are you serious?

- I hardly think he has the Winter Classic on his checklist when he's doing Do's and Don'ts to waive for a team

- The East also have Boston, NYR and TML which are also big physical teams

- The Oilers are a badly managed franchise, from owner to assistant coaches. NYI have had one good draft pick over the last few years, the Oilers have had tons, yet it's the Isles who are on the up. The only locations less desirable for Edler would likely be Calgary + Florida. That's it.

- There are lots of fine arenas. But a brand new arena is an exciting thing to be a part of, as Devils fans will testify.

- I am serious. If for some reason Edler misses talking Swedish with fellow hockey players, there are several in NYC.

- If I was John-Michael Liles, and I had a NTC, I'd never have waived to leave Toronto for Carolina and miss the Winter Classic. It's a huge deal for players, and with Van likely never getting a piece of the action, Edler may well feel that the chance to play for the Isles in one is a plus (albeit a slight one)

- I'd take playing Boston, the Rags and the Hab-nots over the Sharks, Ducks, Coyotes, Blues, Avs, Hawks and Kings. As another poster said, Edler's style of play would likely go down much better in the East than it does out West. He'd improve as a player.

Well, queue the Edler trade rumours. Snow is smart he ships him out for a solid package pre deadline.

Gillis is smart he then calls Snow offers Edler and a box of Tim Bits for one of Strome/Reinhart/DeHaan and a 1st.

I like McDonalds' play but he is not worth $5 million this season, maybe in a season or two when the cap dictates it but not now

If Gillis is smart he hangs on to eddy and ships out Hamhuis.

Watch some games.

Haven't missed a game for 3 years. Edler is significantly better than Hamhuis who is always giving up the puck and leading to goals against.

Eddy does too but not as much and he makes up for it offensively. Plus he can actually keep the puck in on the power play.

There's a reason the organization pays him more and knows he's a potential #1

If Gillis is smart he hangs on to eddy and ships out Hamhuis.

I hope he isn't smart, if that's the definition of smart. Losing your best D man instead of the most inconsistent one?

If by smart you mean retarded then yes agreed

Holla.

Haven't missed a game for 3 years. Edler is significantly better than Hamhuis who is always giving up the puck and leading to goals against.

Eddy does too but not as much and he makes up for it offensively. Plus he can actually keep the puck in on the power play.

Edler does jack all offensively, and Hamhuis is rumoured to be playing through injury. For all Edler's ability to 'keep the puck in' on the power play, our PP is so bad (with him on it too) that the goalie may as well read a newspaper while we're faffing about on the PP.

Who does McDonald qualify as better than on our team?

(lets pretend its all about player value, not existing contracts etc...)

Edler?

Garrison?

Bieksa?

Tanev?

Hamhuis?

MacDonald would be better than Tanev and Garrison, but slightly below Edler. He would be between Edler and Garrison. It would be like this:

1. Hamhuis

2. Bieksa

3. Edler

4. MacDonald

5. Garrison

6. Tanev

So 5 million is probably too much, but his salary would be fair at 4-4.6 million.

If Gillis is smart he'll deal Luongo for a bag of pucks.

- The Oilers are a badly managed franchise, from owner to assistant coaches. NYI have had one good draft pick over the last few years, the Oilers have had tons, yet it's the Isles who are on the up. The only locations less desirable for Edler would likely be Calgary + Florida. That's it.

- There are lots of fine arenas. But a brand new arena is an exciting thing to be a part of, as Devils fans will testify.

- I am serious. If for some reason Edler misses talking Swedish with fellow hockey players, there are several in NYC.

- If I was John-Michael Liles, and I had a NTC, I'd never have waived to leave Toronto for Carolina and miss the Winter Classic. It's a huge deal for players, and with Van likely never getting a piece of the action, Edler may well feel that the chance to play for the Isles in one is a plus (albeit a slight one)

- I'd take playing Boston, the Rags and the Hab-nots over the Sharks, Ducks, Coyotes, Blues, Avs, Hawks and Kings. As another poster said, Edler's style of play would likely go down much better in the East than it does out West. He'd improve as a player.

I can tell I won't be able to persuade you of my point of view and that's ok. But I'm sorry I still don't see him waiving his NTC for the Isles though.

PS: TML = Toronto Maple Leafs not Montreal

Well, queue the Edler trade rumours. Snow is smart he ships him out for a solid package pre deadline.

Gillis is smart he then calls Snow offers Edler and a box of Tim Bits for one of Strome/Reinhart/DeHaan and a 1st.

I like McDonalds' play but he is not worth $5 million this season, maybe in a season or two when the cap dictates it but not now

War Hippy.. I generally agree with you on most things you post; however, you thinking that Edler's going to land us a previous top 5 pick as highly touted as Ryan Strome and a potential lottery pick is about as realistic as dangler696969 making a constructive, and informative post.

EDIT: OR Cucumber proposing a realistic trade.

I don tthink most of the poeple here really understand how much he means to that team. Hes a leader for them on the back end, and leads the entire league in shot blocking with a staggering 172 in 52 games played... he actually very much reminds me of a more experienced Chris Tanev.

If a deal were not to be reached, I wouldnt be all that suprised if a swap of Edler for MacDonald + was discussed.

He's also been making next to league minimum for his entire career, so I can see why the guy would like to finally cash in.

- A franchise rich in history

- A new arena soon

- Playing with the likes of John Tavares, Thomas Vanek (possibly re-signing now), Kyle Okposo, Travis Hamonic etc

- Would be a leader on the team, a go-to guy which he isn't for us

- Perhaps gain some appreciation from the fans for a change

- New York baby

- More chance of playing in Winter Classics you'd imagine

- International team-mates Lundqvist and Hagelin nearby (so wouldn't necessarily miss the twins)

- Perhaps he'd blossom in the East, rather than the bruising West

Just a few reasons, maybe some of them are wishy-washy, but there are plenty of reasons to waive for an up-and-coming side like the Isles.

Nice try...you should be a travel agent.

Edler isn't going anywhere this season and IF he's ever traded, it won't be to NYI...or the Jets...or Oilers....or any other bottom feeder franchise. And the simple rationale behind that statement is...would you waive your no trade for those teams? Didn't think so...

MacDonald would be better than Tanev and Garrison, but slightly below Edler. He would be between Edler and Garrison. It would be like this:

1. Hamhuis

2. Bieksa

3. Edler

4. MacDonald

5. Garrison

6. Tanev

So 5 million is probably too much, but his salary would be fair at 4-4.6 million.

Edler has been BRUTAL since coming back. I have 10 fingers and 10 toes and I still can't count all of his miscues! He's ageing like Mattias Ohlund and that's not a compliment.

People might not know a lot about MacDonald but he's a stud and will def fetch a 1st rd pick at the deadline if NYI is out of playoff contention. Snow will want to re-sign him though so I don't see him getting traded, especially with them only being 5 points out of a playoff spot. This isn't a rebuilding team despite their place in the standings. They still need a goalie (although Poulin has been playing admirably) but they're a team that is built to complete now and Snow is going to want to build on last season when they gave the Penguins a run for their money.

Archived