The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] MacDonald turns down 4 Year 16 Million Deal.

People might not know a lot about MacDonald but he's a stud and will def fetch a 1st rd pick at the deadline if NYI is out of playoff contention. Snow will want to re-sign him though so I don't see him getting traded, especially with them only being 5 points out of a playoff spot. This isn't a rebuilding team despite their place in the standings. They still need a goalie (although Poulin has been playing admirably) but they're a team that is built to complete now and Snow is going to want to build on last season when they gave the Penguins a run for their money.

I dont know what will happen with Macdonald but i do know that snow is an idiot ...mark my words ... this man will be out very soon ..

I dont know what will happen with Macdonald but i do know that snow is an idiot ...mark my words ... this man will be out very soon ..

I don't know about that. Other than the Ryan Smyth trade, Snow hasn't really made any bold moves. Instead he has stocked the cupboard with grade A prospects.

The Vanek trade is turning out to be ok. Moulson only went as far as Tavares took him.

Examples like these make me happy our players like it in Vancouver and are willing to negotiate.

Yea sorry but i would take a player overpaid with no NTC than a player at a discount and a FULL NTC. This team is fracked because of MG giving every player he signs a FULL NTC.

If phaneuf is getting 7 million, MacDonald could get 6+ million in the open market.

MacDonald is FIFTH in the league in minutes. Ahead of Doughty, Chara, Pietrangelo, Subban, Letang....

Albeit, he doesn't have much offense to his game. He is scoring goals because he is on the first PP unit with Tavares so he get free assists every once in a while.

PS: TML = Toronto Maple Leafs not Montreal

I know, but I substituted them for an actual hockey team ;)

Nice try...you should be a travel agent.

Edler isn't going anywhere this season and IF he's ever traded, it won't be to NYI...or the Jets...or Oilers....or any other bottom feeder franchise. And the simple rationale behind that statement is...would you waive your no trade for those teams? Didn't think so...

I wasn't saying Edler WOULD waive, I was giving reasons Edler would consider if he was asked to. Or thoughts he may have had himself if considering asking for a trade.

And if I was the goat on this Nucks team, which Edler is, and had been through everything Edler has in my career, I would definitely be considering my options. And I would absolutely have the Isles on my list of potential destinations, ahead of the likes of Philly, Montreal and Toronto. Edler deserves to be the #1 D man on a team, and with Tavares ahead of him he'd post stellar numbers. He'd look excellent on that Isles team.

I just wanted to weigh in on this whole "Would Edler waive for Nyi?" thing. My thing about Edler is his compete level doesn't seem to be very high. So if it isn't as much about that, then actual city could make sense. There are alot of cities out there (Detroit comes to mind) which are absolute holes. If he can bring the compete level he had at the World Championships in Sweden last year, without the knee cheap shot, then we keep him anyways. I just don't know if it's where it needs to be for Torts' liking.

With his 550K cap hit, MacDonald could be one of the most pursued defensemen (or even player) at this years deadline. Pretty much every team can fit in that cap without having a contract the other way.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved for a big package at the deadline if he can't be re-signed.

I guess it all depends on where the Isles are in the standings. If they're close, you'd think they would find a way to keep him. But if not, take the king's ransom now and maybe try to re-sign him July 1st.

He may be a top-pairing D on the Isles, but he's 2nd pairing on pretty much every other team in the league not named 'Oilers'. Is he worth that money going forward? Or do you use that cash to try to lure a more talented guy?

Kind of reminds me of Garrison. Came out of nowhere in mid-20's, and set to jump from minimum salary to 4-5 million. Fortunately for us Garrison has been (mostly) worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

2 players turn down fair offers from NYI so close together, brutal for them lol...

I would think it would be a great place to play, in NY, team is on the up and up, they will be playing in the new arena soon etc. Surprised the dont want to be a part of it.

Well, queue the Edler trade rumours. Snow is smart he ships him out for a solid package pre deadline.

Gillis is smart he then calls Snow offers Edler and a box of Tim Bits for one of Strome/Reinhart/DeHaan and a 1st.

I like McDonalds' play but he is not worth $5 million this season, maybe in a season or two when the cap dictates it but not now

Preferably not Edler going away, but any of the trio mentioned above are very, very welcome here at any time.

MacDonald nowhere near $5M per, but with the cap rising once again, we all know that's going to happen. And then our d-men will look like a bargain deal again, without them having to do anything to further add to their value, but just stand out there and not win us any games.

The subject matter 'overpaid d-man' always reminds me of one thing, or better one player in specific. Jeff Finger. To me he is the term for overpaid defenseman.

Haven't missed a game for 3 years. Edler is significantly better than Hamhuis who is always giving up the puck and leading to goals against.

Eddy does too but not as much and he makes up for it offensively. Plus he can actually keep the puck in on the power play.

There's a reason the organization pays him more and knows he's a potential #1

Edler sucks now, are you kidding me? who was paid 5 million when he was showing some potential but now he isn't good at all. You would be an idiot to trade our best D man and keep Edler. I guess after that, you will say we should trade Tanev too because thats smart :rolleyes:. Instead of getting rid of our better defenders, maybe we should trade the overrated ones like Edler and upgrade on that. Trade Hamhuis and then what? so we could have the same defense as the Oilers?

Edler for Bailey, MacDonald and a pick

Rather trade Edler for ROR then sign Macdonald to whatever he is asking in the offseason.

Hamhuis-Garrison

Macdonald-Bieksa

Tanev-Corrado/Stanton

Not bad at all, plus 2 of the defenders can play high 25+ minutes while being reliable.

I'm not sold on MacDonald.

I'm also hoping the other bargain making 550k this year doesn't demand upwards of 4-5 million...(Santorelli)...and I wouldn't trade them one for one tbh - Santorelli has a more rounded game imo.

MacDonald does log big minutes, blocks a lot of shots and scores some points - but he also has arguably the worst underlying numbers on the Islanders, and is -28 where giveaways/takeaways are concerned. Does he block so many shots in part because he's a fairly bad possession player? Hard to say without watching him all the time, but I wouldn't be lining up to give away assets in order to re-sign him in the 4+ million range and I probably wouldn't be in the bidding war to overpay him in the summer.

Edler (14), Diaz (18) and Tanev (24) are all in the top 25 in the NHL in blocks/game while Bieksa is 34th overall in blocks (99), Hamhuis is 52nd (91) and Garrison 64th (85). Stanton's 61 blocks and 5.67/60min is tied with Edler and 2nd to Tanev in terms of the rate at which he blocks shots - in other words, I'm not sure that McDonald's strongest asset is all that vital to add to this mix, particularly when you factor in his very questionable underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=29&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=NYI&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Well, queue the Edler trade rumours. Snow is smart he ships him out for a solid package pre deadline.

Gillis is smart he then calls Snow offers Edler and a box of Tim Bits for one of Strome/Reinhart/DeHaan and a 1st.

I like McDonalds' play but he is not worth $5 million this season, maybe in a season or two when the cap dictates it but not now

Edler and a box of timbits for one of strome/reinhart/dehaan and a 1st? While we are at it how about edler and burrows for tavares, strome, and 2 1sts? What do you think?

Archived