The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wickenheiser named Canada’s flag bearer

TheRussianRocket.

Because crosby doesn't symbolize what canada is all about. We do not want a cry baby being the symbol of canada in the games.

So you are saying you weren't cheering, high-fiving, hugging and groping random girls when Crosby scored the Golden Goal?? Give me a break. Just because you have some sort of lame personal grudge against him doesn't deflect the fact that Crosby is a Canadian hero.

So you are saying you weren't cheering, high-fiving, hugging and groping random girls when Crosby scored the Golden Goal?? Give me a break. Just because you have some sort of lame personal grudge against him doesn't deflect the fact that Crosby is a Canadian hero.

Iginla made entire play possible.... all crosby did was tap it in.... could have any player. And I just don't want a guy who complains to the refs about every little thing to be the symbol of canada. Towes would be a better fit for both the C and the flag. Glad it was haley she has done more for canadian hockey than crosby has.

Iginla made entire play possible.... all crosby did was tap it in.... could have any player. And I just don't want a guy who complains to the refs about every little thing to be the symbol of canada. Towes would be a better fit for both the C and the flag. Glad it was haley she has done more for canadian hockey than crosby has.

What you aren't getting is that outside of hockey fans, the average Canadian has no idea who Haley Wickenheiser is and her accomplishments in her sport. Even the most ignorant-to-hockey citizen can say they have at least heard of Crosby. All I want the flag bearer to be someone that mostly everyone is familiar with. Good for Haley for being chosen but I think it's a poor choice, not based on her accomplishments, but based on her relative anonymity.

What you aren't getting is that outside of hockey fans, the average Canadian has no idea who Haley Wickenheiser is and her accomplishments in her sport. Even the most ignorant-to-hockey citizen can say they have at least heard of Crosby. All I want the flag bearer to be someone that mostly everyone is familiar with. Good for Haley for being chosen but I think it's a poor choice, not based on her accomplishments, but based on her relative anonymity.

The beauty of the Olympics is it gives exposure to top athletes that rarely ever get any national attention. Crosby gets enough rewards and recognition, why not give Haley her due at the Olympics and send a message that this country values womens hockey. The last two years we had speed skaters as our flag bearers which isn't extactly a high profile sport outside of the Olympics either.

What Hayley Wickenheiser has done for sports in Canada and around the world is not comparable to many other athletes.

She is an ambassador for Womens Hockey. She is a member of Right to Play and Kids Sport. She has an International festival held in her name every year. She outfits underprivileged kids with hockey gear. Not to mention that she has been a member of Hockey Canada for 20 years and has represented Canada internationally at 5 Winter and 1 summer games. No one embodies what sport for the love of sport is all about more than Hayley.

I have been fortunate enough to meet her several times. Her mere presence in a room is enough to motivate and inspire those around her. She is humble and hard working, and everything the face of Canadian sport should be.

Sydney 2000

BerNCRXCUAA2Cga.jpg

First Winter Olympics in 1998

Ber7VABIMAAwr52.jpg

Still going strong

women4.jpg

It should be noted that Hayley accepted the honour of flag bearer in a video conference. Her entire team is behind her. She isn't one who accepts honours individually. It's all about the team.

BesYKXtCMAA5npl.jpg

^any thoughts on why she wasn't named team captain?

I believe it's because she has a lot of other things on her plate at the Olympics. She has been nominated for a spot on the IOC's Athlete's Commission. The athletes will vote at the Games and the results will be announced on the final day. It's a huge deal and would be a very prestigious job for her if she got it. There will be a lot that she has to do at the Games with regards to that nomination and she has also been very busy during the past few months with all of her other projects. I don't think she has been able to give the Team her undivided attention, so the coaches probably felt that it was best to not put even more responsibilities on her plate.

FWIW, Caroline Ouellette has been on the Team almost as long as Hayley and she is a very worthy choice for the C. I have met her as well and her demeanor and just how she conducts herself is exactly what Hockey Canada wants their players to embody.

I accidentally plused you, wish I could take it away. Just stop whining and complaining about it the way you accuse Crosby of. Sure any other player could shoot it past a goalie? But did they? Of course not. I have no really strong love for Crosby, but at least try to be objective here.

Archived