The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Van-Wsh

thaji

I have proposed this on other people's thread but wanted to do a separate thread to get more thoughts on this.

To WSH:

-Edler

-Booth

To VAN:

-Green

-Erat

This is at best a lateral move but in the hopes of jumpstarting our offence. Edler is definitely the better defensive player but with Green our PP has a chance of improving. He isn't signed long term so if he doesn't work out we only have 1 more year before he becomes a UFA. Also my thoughts are to give Green sheltered minutes 5on5. This is how I see D pairings.

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Bieksa

Stanton-Green

PP

Green-Garrison

The Erat for Booth swap might seem lateral but main reason is because Erat is generally healthier then Booth. We are going to have to do a buyout on 1 of these players so why not bet on the one who is healthier and is generating more points (18 vs 11). I just have this fear of putting in Booth as we get later into the season and him suffering a long term injury which would prevent us from buying him out. Also both of these players would be going back to a conference/division where they had previous success so who knows maybe both turn around their careers.

FYI with this trade we take back roughly $1.33M, which we have space for according to cap geek. Depending of GMMG doesn't want to take back salary there might be option to see if WSH would retain some to make it even.

I think we downgrade on both counts. Maybe Erat picks it up here and Green really helps the PP, but then maybe not and Green's injury history is worse than Edler's the last couple years at $1M more in cap.

I wouldn't do it unless they were willing to help us in cap space or add something else.

I would do it, not sure Washington bites considering who they gave up for Erat in the first place.

I don't think that matters for them at this point, he's played poorly and actually asked for a trade. They lost by trading Forsberg and there really isn't a way to recoup those costs. They would have been better to trade Forsberg to us for Raymond and Schroeder.

I've suggested the Booth for Erat trade straight up myself. It may be a bit off in value but that can depend on how each team perceives value. Adding Edler/Green to that and we do end up shorter on the value end though.

I don't think that matters for them at this point, he's played poorly and actually asked for a trade. They lost by trading Forsberg and there really isn't a way to recoup those costs. They would have been better to trade Forsberg to us for Raymond and Schroeder.

I've suggested the Booth for Erat trade straight up myself. It may be a bit off in value but that can depend on how each team perceives value. Adding Edler/Green to that and we do end up shorter on the value end though.

Addressed this imbalance through my modified proposal. Do you think the valuation is inaccurate?

hmm...not gonna lie that actually seems logical. But in saying that I really don't think this trade makes the Canucks any better.

Green would defs help our power play since he has a cannon, but ever since his concussion he has never been the same, is a defensive liability and apparently doesn't have great work ethic. He used to be an amazing offensive dman but he isn't great anymore, I would honestly rather have Edler than Green since he has a great shot, can hit and has more upside.

The caps would need to add more to this, but not a bad proposal from you.

Addressed this imbalance through my modified proposal. Do you think the valuation is inaccurate?

A 3rd probably isn't enough for me to consider what could be a lateral or worse swap. them retaining $500K in cap probably isn't enough either, I'd go for at least even (both Erat and Green make more than Booth and Edler). I'm not asking for Johansen as the extra necessarily, but I'd want something more.

Good trade. Green has more mobility and can't possibly be stupider than Edler in his own end. Adding another right-hander who can QB a PP makes this a great move.

We're taking about the same Mike Green, right? I'm not sure you've seen him play if that's the case.

You should really look at these two links if you want to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142WSHDADALL&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142VANDADALL&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Since I know you won't care to see anything to soften your pessimistic outlook on Edler, Green has 18 more turnovers than the next worst defenceman on the Capitals. He has 14 more than the next worst forward. Edler, in contrast, is still well behind Bieksa and Hamhuis in turnovers per game.

Turnovers per game (giveaway/takeaway ratio over a full 82 games):

• Mike Green: 0.96 (-38.5)
  • Kevin Bieksa: 0.8 (-38)
  • Dan Hamhuis: 0.78 (-16.7)
  • Alex Edler: 0.57 (-16.4)

Archived