The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. must pay $2M to teachers over class-size court battle

Heretic

Which taxes should we raise then? I seriously doubt that you will find many politicians ready to run on a policy of upping taxes!

And if they did needless to say it would go towards healthcare.

Why do we have to raise taxes?

There are other sources for income.

*Yawn* ... and the teachers/supporters revert back to rhetoric and "us vs them" instead of and working towards better solutions. Rinse and repeat.

And you wonder why you make no progress.

*Yawn* ... and you have done nothing but crack jokes and call people names.

And you wonder why you make no progress.

Financially, yes absolutely! Educationally, no...

That's a bit of a contradiction, no?

Is three classes of 30 and one class of 31 with good funding for those classes not "better education" than four classes of 24 and one of 25 with poor funding?

Perhaps their should be soft limits or a sliding scale of sorts to allow for budgeting flexibility...

Why do we have to raise taxes?

There are other sources for income.

By all means share them with us (and the goverment while you are at it) as you can be sure we're all ears!

That said, if you did find more money (however you do it) it will just be vacuumed up by the healthcare monster.

By all means share them with us (and the goverment while you are at it) as you can be sure we're all ears!

That said, if you did find more money (however you do it) it will just be vacuumed up by the healthcare monster.

Well, then we need you to stop them. ;)

Advertising would be one way that I can think of off the top of my head.

We have Roger's Arena, how about:

Suncor Secondary, Kal Tire Elementary, etc...

Pepsi vs Coke products.

Pepsi vs Coke products.

I thought you cared about our kids education? You don't see any problems with introducing such vast corporate influence on the school system?! It's sure done wonders for the political system! :rolleyes:

I thought you cared about our kids education? You don't see any problems with introducing such vast corporate influence on the school system?! It's sure done wonders for the political system! :rolleyes:

Today? Nope - not at all - kids are overloaded with advertising already - time for them to reap some of the benefits - no?

Today? Nope - not at all - kids are overloaded with advertising already - time for them to reap some of the benefits - no?

I'm not talking about simple advertising. I'm talking about corporate influence in to what does and doesn't get taught to kids.

That's a very slippery slope with a pit filled with sharks and harpoons at the bottom.

I'm not talking about simple advertising. I'm talking about corporate influence in to what does and doesn't get taught to kids.

That's a very slippery slope with a pit filled with sharks and harpoons at the bottom.

Sounds like it's a job for you - you'd keep them in line. ;)

(that's a compliment not a dig BTW)

Pepsi vs Coke products.

If I could reform healthcare I would, don't worry.

If I could sell licensing for the schools, I would. But I don't think that it would go over too well with the public. And since schools aren't really all that much in the media (unlike say a sports stadium) I don't think it would bring in that much money.

Take for instance the BC place deal. It was for what 30 million? Now that's a good chunk of change but consider BC spent about 4.7 BILLION on education last I checked it wouldn't really generate all that much money in the grand scheme of things and the one area where kids aren't being bombed with ads would now be gone.

Good to think outside the box but a non starter I would think.

from CKNW:

Premier Christy Clark is strongly hinting her government is going to appeal a scathing decision handed down by a BC Supreme court judge.

The judge ruled the Clark government failed to bargain in good faith with BC teachers and handed the union two million dollars in damages.

Clark tells CHNL radio in Kamloops an appeal is likely.

Her lawyers are poring over what she calls a complex decision.

In reaction, B.C. Teacher’s Federation President Jim Iker says he hopes the government makes the right call now, “We’re hoping we don’t have to go back to court and we want the government to honour the decision and the decision says basically our Charter Rights were violated and what we need to do is get those smaller class sizes back into our schools.”

Iker says it’s time for the government to respect the law and the decision of the court

from CKNW:

The NDP’s Finance critic says the BC Liberal government has an ulterior motive to launch an appeal of yesterday’s court win for the BC Teachers Federation.

Mike Farnworth says restoring class size and composition could come with big hit to the provincial books.

“$500 million retroactively $275 million on an annual basis would have a major impact on a budget. I am not going to be surprised if they appeal it and that they then say it is before the courts and so it is not going to have an impact on this year’s budget as a way of trying to get it off the table.”

With a budget balanced on a razors edge Farnworth says it wouldn’t take much from this ruling to push the books into the red.

“Lets just take for example the $275 million in one year that would be far more than the projected surplus that was tabled in the budget last February never mind this year.”

Farnworth says it is not just this years budget the court ruling could also impact the books for the future years as well.

He says the stripping of class size and composition from teachers contracts in 2002 is just chickens coming home to roost for now Premier Christy Clark who was then Education minister

275 million dollars a year? She better appeal the decision!

How a union that refuses to budge on the class size issue is somehow negotiating in good faith themselves is a mystery to me.....

lol you're ridiculous and so uninformed it's funny.

Then how about a pipeline?

Pipelines through the schools...?

Frankly I don't really blame the Liberals. Yes it's completely underhanded @#$% what they're doing but if I was in charge I'd probably do the same thing given budget realities until the BCTF sucks it up and agrees to actually rebuild the system from the ground up. The Liberals are simply trying to stop/slow down the bleeding.

But the top-weighted with older members BCTF (and the same older, folks with all those cushy, expensive bureaucratic/district jobs that should be slashed) will never agree to system reform that screws them for the benefit of our kids and young teachers.

The Libs are being giant a-holes about it but it's the BCTF that's really holding up true reform and a better system.

Pipelines through the schools...?

Frankly I don't really blame the Liberals. Yes it's completely underhanded @#$% what they're doing but if I was in charge I'd probably do the same thing given budget realities until the BCTF sucks it up and agrees to actually rebuild the system from the ground up. The Liberals are simply trying to stop/slow down the bleeding.

But the top-weighted with older members BCTF (and the same older, folks with all those cushy, expensive bureaucratic/district jobs that should be slashed) will never agree to system reform that screws them for the benefit of our kids and young teachers.

The Libs are being giant a-holes about it but it's the BCTF that's really holding up true reform and a better system.

Make no mistake if the public didn't loose their minds when their free babysitting service is suspended the liberals would be going hardcore and let them be on strike for months just like they did (or are still doing, who knows?) with the paramedics.

And I wouldn't blame them a bit.

Archived