The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opposed to Fracking? You Might be a Terrorist!

nucklehead

From North America to Europe, the 'national security' apparatus is being bought off by Big Oil to rout peaceful activism.

Over the last year, a mass of shocking evidence has emerged on the close ties between Western government spy agencies and giant energy companies, and their mutual interests in criminalising anti-fracking activists.

In late 2013, official documents obtained under freedom of information showed that Canada's domestic spy agency, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), had ramped up its surveillance of activists opposed to the Northern Gateway pipeline project on 'national security' grounds. The CSIS also routinely passed information about such groups to the project's corporate architect, Calgary-based energy company, Enbridge.

The Northern Gateway is an $8 billion project to transport oil from the Alberta tar sands to the British Columbia coast, where it can be shipped to global markets. According to the documents a Canadian federal agency, the National Energy Board, worked with CSIS and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to coordinate with Enbridge, TransCanada, and other energy corporations in gathering intelligence on anti-fracking activists - despite senior police privately admitting they "could not detect a direct or specific criminal threat."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/jan/21/fracking-activism-protest-terrorist-oil-corporate-spies

The people that oppose all the mega plans are the same people bitching about not having jobs. Projects like these pump milions of dollars into economy not including all the jobs created if there was a leak.

I am opposed to it and I have a job, a good one that doesn't require raping our earth just so some guy half way around the world can fuel his car.

'All the jobs created if there was a leak' Oh god...

The people that oppose all the mega plans are the same people bitching about not having jobs. Projects like these pump milions of dollars into economy not including all the jobs created if there was a leak.

Minus. Please.

Seems like the people who support the mega plans are the same people who bitch about not having jobs.

I am opposed to it and I have a job, a good one that doesn't require raping our earth just so some guy half way around the world can fuel his car.

'All the jobs created if there was a leak' Oh god...

Also opposed. Also been gainfully employed for 20+ years.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I do enjoy nature and having it pristine and unharmed and all that but I enjoy the things oil gives me an awful lot, when it comes to nature or my personal comforts, not gonna lie, gonna pick comfort everytime.

isnt the information being shared between gov agencies and the pipeline builder for the purpose of protecting the project from sabotage during construction and after its operational? Even if the threat is minimal its just due diligence to keep up to speed on any potential problems.

I've no problem with the company looking out for their security. Problem is when you try to do so by violating and/or removing basic rights and freedoms in the process. Painting law abiding protestors with the terrorist paint brush is just plain wrong and reeks of a totalitarian mindset. The more you bend over for it the further they'll push it.

I've no problem with the company looking out for their security. Problem is when you try to do so by violating and/or removing basic rights and freedoms in the process. Painting law abiding protestors with the terrorist paint brush is just plain wrong and reeks of a totalitarian mindset. The more you bend over for it the further they'll push it.

All I see in the OP is that the CSIS has increased its surveillance of anti pipeline activist groups and passed that information on to the company. We are all just jumping to the assumption they are violating these groups rights and freedoms in the process. There is no one painting the activists with a terrorist paint brush in the article. Only in the minds of people here on the boards.

Guess what. Natural Gas and Oil doesn't reproduce itself. Once it's gone. It's gone. Maybe we should be looking at energy sources that make long term growth, and LONG term permanent jobs.

Northern gateway is making what? 300 jobs in BC? The scale of ecological disaster will effect far more than 300 people.

Maybe invest in stuff like this so we can make way more than 300 jobs.

By the way Shawn Qu's Canadian Solar, employes 8000 employees world wide, and made $1.2 billion in revenue in 2012.

Guess what. Natural Gas and Oil doesn't reproduce itself. Once it's gone. It's gone. Maybe we should be looking at energy sources that make long term growth, and LONG term permanent jobs.

Northern gateway is making what? 300 jobs in BC? The scale of ecological disaster will effect far more than 300 people.

Maybe invest in stuff like this so we can make way more than 300 jobs.

By the way Shawn Qu's Canadian Solar, employes 8000 employees world wide, and made $1.2 billion in revenue in 2012.

Canadian Solars 8000 employees are almost all in China. They have about 200 at a small solar power plant in Ontario that is only profitable thanks to Ontarios Feed-in Tariff domestic content provisions (also known as Gov subsidies).

Same thing happening in the agricultural industry in the US. You can be treated as a terrorist for taking photos inside a slaughter house, for example. This is part of a slow slide into fascism.

Has been like this for decades already. Monsanto leads the way in destroying our worldwide agricultural rights and freedoms.

Archived