The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reality is setting in...

nitwitt

The hard cold truth about this team is it's actually just been average for two and a half years. This team has been working under a false sense of reality. That Pacific North West divisional was really, really bad and now that the Canucks have regular opponents like Anahiem, LA, San Jose and even Colorado(now), We just can't compete, even if the team is healthy.

The fact is we don't have the horses. We don't have 4 legit top 6 forwards, the team can barely compete with Calgary, Edmonton, Phoenix etc...

No way did the Sedins re-up with this club for a rebuild. There has been lot's of talk about just stand pat and we'll deal with this in the offseason. So I guess this season is a throw away according to those with that philosophy.

But I'm hear to tell you that the only logical solution to this delima is a Blockbuster deal, expect a deal within the next 2-3 weeks, Which will probably include Tanev, Hansen, maybe Lakk and our 1st. The likely destination will be Buffalo. Buffalo has what we need and we have what Buffalo wants, parts to rebuild with.

Cheers...

Fine with me.

Very seldom are teams at the top of the league standings for around five years to even two decades. Our best years with this core are through but whatever, because slowly but surely while still being competitive (10th in league standings) we are getting younger and stronger.

We won't rebuild. Period. We are retooling this team remaining competitive like San Jose last year. Gillis is aware of this "reality setting in". I just noticed that this is a Pierre quote too. LOL.

The torch is slowly being passed to the young guys. I've made my peace with this this.

We have to stay competitive in order to keep the culture around our team strong. That's why we brought Torts in: to get the most out of an aging line-up and keep them hard-working and honest going forward.

We also can't just ship everyone out and stink for years. As shown by Edmonton, this isn't exactly a recipe for success, as losing becomes a tradition and a habit.

I'm happy that Gillis hasn't made a move yet and is staying the course.

The torch is slowly being passed to the young guys. I've made my peace with this this.

We have to stay competitive in order to keep the culture around our team strong. That's why we brought Torts in: to get the most out of an aging line-up and keep them hard-working and honest going forward.

We also can't just ship everyone out and stink for years. As shown by Edmonton, this isn't exactly a recipe for success, as losing becomes a tradition and a habit.

+1

I'm glad other people seem to realize this.

So he is following the Calgary blueprint into sucking. Just keep staying with all your old players until you suck.

Canucks prospect rankings is still amongst the worst in the league. Currently ranked 24 of 30 by hockeysfuture.com

Ok so the glory days has come to a halt

doesnt mean were not contenders, were still up there

any team can catch fire late, and go on to a cinderella cup run

even if the next couple years fail, were still going to be looking good

with the emergence of Shinkaruk,Horvat, Gaunce,Dane Fox,Jensen,Subban, Joker Ericsson

Leadership of the Sedins, and Kesler, Louie the mentorship will play a huge factor to the kids development

The best is yet to come

So he is following the Calgary blueprint into sucking. Just keep staying with all your old players until you suck.

Canucks prospect rankings is still amongst the worst in the league. Currently ranked 24 of 30 by hockeysfuture.com

All Calgary had was Iggy and Kipper. We have a lot of core pieces still in the mix helping this team remain competitive.

Calgary did stupid things like trade for Modin at the deadline only to miss the playoffs and went through that phase in the 00's where they traded a large portion of their higher picks.

Besides, we are going through a culture change in this process getting younger and stronger + we just had an amazing draft in your so called "Calgary blueprint into sucking" (was that supposed to be clever??), whereas Calgary was still running the same system when they were on the decline and were just left aside to rot under the Sutters.

Horrible post.

All Calgary had was Iggy and Kipper. We have a lot of core pieces still in the mix helping this team remain competitive.

Calgary did stupid things like trade for Modin at the deadline only to miss the playoffs and went through that phase in the 00's where they traded a large portion of their higher picks.

Besides, we are going through a culture change in this process getting younger and stronger + we just had an amazing draft in your so called "Calgary blueprint into sucking" (was that supposed to be clever??), whereas Calgary was still running the same system when they were on the decline and were just left aside to rot under the Sutters.

Horrible post.

Really? Bo Horvat is going to be a player. I like his prospects but Hunter I'm not sure about. He may just be too small for the NHL. Due to his injury this year his stock has certainly fallen.

But the bigger problem is that the Canucks top core players just aren't that good. I could easily argue that at this point that none of the Canucks top forwards is as good as Iggy was 4 years ago. Daniel Sedin may be done as a top player already.

I agree that shipping pics and prospects for established players who might get the team to playoffs but not past the 1st Round is a losing strategy. Anyone who watched last night would have to be an eternal

optimist to take positives away.

The key issue IMHO is who does Van move out as a 'seller' leading into the trade deadline? As it is

Gillis was lucky to get a 9th pic for Schneider as a glut of good young tenders are hitting the market.

Vancouver has to replace a top line and look for a d-core anchor for the future.

Bottom line is that Van should have been able to run the Oilers out of the rink last night and did not

come close. How many defensive breakdowns did we see? I can understand it when young players like

Kassian make mistakes but when veteran dmen do regularly it is bad.

Really? Bo Horvat is going to be a player. I like his prospects but Hunter I'm not sure about. He may just be too small for the NHL. Due to his injury this year his stock has certainly fallen.

But the bigger problem is that the Canucks top core players just aren't that good. I could easily argue that at this point that none of the Canucks top forwards is as good as Iggy was 4 years ago. Daniel Sedin may be done as a top player already.

Exactly! IMO it is not about the Twins anymore. It is about Kesler and whether he can anchor a top line or not. It looks like not. Horvat shows promise at junior but that doesn't always translate. That tells me that Gillis has to continue building prospect depth. I am sure that Van management is sscared to

death that the fan base will turn on them and have little patience for what inevitably has to happen.

We really need to get rid of Edler. Not only does his complete lack of hockey sense hurt the team every game, his laziness sets a horrible example for his teammates when he's getting as much icetime as he is. How can you expect anyone else to play well in their own end when a giant liability gets 25 mins a game?

If he still has trade value and brings in a decent prospect or pick, even better.

We really need to get rid of Edler. Not only does his complete lack of hockey sense hurt the team every game, his laziness sets a horrible example for his teammates when he's getting as much icetime as he is. How can you expect anyone else to play well in their own end when a giant liability gets 25 mins a game?

If he still has trade value and brings in a decent prospect or pick, even better.

Edler was one of our best players the last couple of games in the d zone. Your absolute hate for him is getting a little long in the tooth, especially since you are a decent poster.

All the Canucks need is to end the year on fire and ride the wave through the playoffs. The L.A. Kings managed to win a cup doing just that. If the Canucks go in hot, I have faith that they can make it back to the SC finals.

The differences between this Canucks team and the LA club that won the Cup are pretty obvious though. Everyone knew going into the playoffs that year that the Kings were not a typical 8th seed, they were a stacked team that was in a serious scoring funk leading up to the post-season.

The forward group of LA was just massive (don't forget skilled) and they had a nice combination of stay out home defensemen paired with offensive guys. They also had the benefit of getting a playoff style coach and a motivated Carter after he got rescued from the Bluejackets by LA management.

Now granted I think Torts has the chops to get it done in the playoffs..he needs a team equal to the task and this year I just don't think the Canucks are that team. I love Vancouver and hockey in general but I try to be a realist in these things and my gut tells me the Canucks won't be "serious" Cup Contenders for awhile now.

Does that mean they won't fluke out and win it? Sure, that could happen I suppose...some of us need that chance to commit fully to the team. But for a lot of us older fans the writing is on the wall here...we are in for a retool (rebuild, restructure, reanimation, whatever you want to call it) sooner rather than later and I hope Gillis isn't going to sacrifice future this season so we can get crushed by one of the California clubs in the playoffs.

Archived