The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would You, Could You...

Guest Gumballthechewy

Guest Gumballthechewy

If you could go back in time to 1890 and snuff out baby Hitler, would you? Could you? Knowing what he does in the future you might think: "yeah, without a second thought!" but what if the future turns out for the worst? Is it worth it? Maybe Stalin decides he wants to conquer the world, seeing how the Russians cut through the Nazis I don't think war with the Russians would have ended well for Europe either, or maybe Göring or Himmler or some other Nazi high up come into power, Hitler wasn't the only genocidal monster responsible for WWII, or maybe it all ends in a nuclear apocalypse, or maybe it doesn't, maybe it ends for the betterment of mankind and we achieve world peace.

A lot you would say: "well, assuming all turns out well then yes I'd kill him." but there's no garuntee, it's just you, baby Hitler and no knowing how it will change the future, would you risk it? Could you go through with it?

Hell no I wouldn't.

I'd snuff out many in the west before Hitler, he was doomed to fail in the end regardless because nobody has ever won in Russia or Afghanistan.

But after that war the west vs east mentality perpetuated along with all of the western fear and inclusions are what screwed everything up. Sure we got some solid technology out of decades of fear mongering but that's about it.

Hitler can live.

Danny Bonaducci must die

You might not have to be so drastic.

Sometimes, just manipulating the smallest of things or events can affect the future.

Maybe his parents never hook up if his father was say 5 minutes late for a dance - or something like that.

Maybe go back further and somehow prevent Fascism from ever coming into be.

Etc...etc...etc...

Guest Gumballthechewy

You might not have to be so drastic.

Sometimes, just manipulating the smallest of things or events can affect the future.

Maybe his parents never hook up if his father was say 5 minutes late for a dance - or something like that.

Maybe go back further and somehow prevent Fascism from ever coming into be.

Etc...etc...etc...

Well, yeah, but my question it just a specific "what if?" scenario: knowing what happens in the future would you kill baby Hitler without knowing if it changes the future for the better?

From his childhood to world war I, where he could have easily been killed in action, to his rise to power in the 1930s there were many times when a slightly different course of events would have put him on a different path in life. Subtler intervention than killing him would have worked just as well. But why not kill him. If anyone deserved a painful death hed be on most lists.

I wouldnt have been born if WWII hadnt happened. My grandfather was in the English infantry and fought in North Aftrica, Italy and Greece. He emigrated to Canada with my Grandmother and new born Father upon returning home to London in 1945. If London hadnt been in ruins from the bombing they wouldnt have left, my father wouldnt have met my mother in Toronto etc etc.

Archived