The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possibly the last NHL Olympics? World Cup of Hockey to return?

PlayStation

Just watching Sportsnet Hockeycentral at noon, with Bill Daly on the phone.

Anyways they talked a lot about Sochi and the safety concerns etc etc.

Then questions about the next Olympics were brought up (South Korea) and Kyreos tried to get something out of Daly but instead he only said they havent discussed anything yet and it would required both the NHL and NHLPA to agree.

We all know the NHL has been leaning against the Olympics and such prior to the Sochi games

Next they moved onto the topic of the World Cup of Hockey and saying it could make a return as the NHL is currently in discussions of having it make a return. You can google it if you'd like, been ongoing ror awhile, so sorry if this is not new to you.

Anyways my question is, would you rather have the Olympics, or the World Cup of Hockey.

Personally I'd rather keep it as is, this is the biggest stage in sports, and it would take a lot away from my enjoyment of the winter games.

The leagues obviously after the money and having control, but screw the league, they have screwed hockey fans enough.

Also if the NHL stops competing at the Olympics, say hello to the KHL and Russians winning gold every single time. Would Russian players like Ovie leave to play? Maybe. Many players dream of winning GOLD for their countries.

Anyways I tend to ramble a lot so I'll stop talking now and let you discuss.

I would rather have World Cup of Hockey, Olympics should be for amateur players only!

Plus world cup/ Canada cup was some of the best hockey I have ever seen.

The thing about the amateur argument is that alot of European players may leave the league to play for their country at the Olympics. Then it still wouldn't be an amateur tournament and the North American amateur teams would be stuck playing against "professionals".

I'd gladly welcome a system with both tournaments.

The point of the olympics is hardly to have amateur players there. Makes no sense to me if every country is gunning for gold and best results in all olympic events. Send your best players/athletes to the games.

I am partial either way, whatever does the best job of growing the game globally. Hockey needs new nations to step up and make it a more competitive global sport rather than a battle between the same four or five nations.

Would like for Oly's to be the best in the world, but UNDER 23 yrs. Ensure all NHL/AHL squads would comply.

NHL teams would not agree to this, guys like Morgan Reilly don't get loaned to the World Juniors, and hes not even a superstar, imagine having to send a 23 year old Crosby.

Secondly, KHL, Finnish, Swedish leagues would be involved as well, not just the NHL.

I am partial either way, whatever does the best job of growing the game globally. Hockey needs new nations to step up and make it a more competitive global sport rather than a battle between the same four or five nations.

Maybe making the olympics for amateurs only would help less successful hockey nations become better, and endorse the sport. I think if it were to be made an "amateur" competition there should be tighter restrictions on what constitutes as a "professional" league. I don't think it would be fair to ban NHL players but allow KHL, SEL, and Swiss league players to compete.

Olympics is every 4 years. Send NHL players.

Have World Cup of Hockey Every 4 years as well

ie.

2014 Olympics

2016 WCoH

2018 Olympics

2020 WCoH

By far the best solution. NHL gets their tournament with money going into their coffers, players get to play in the Olympics, and the game gets marketed to potential new fans/players.

Olympics is every 4 years. Send NHL players.

Have World Cup of Hockey Every 4 years as well

ie.

2014 Olympics

2016 WCoH

2018 Olympics

2020 WCoH

This.

I think this is a perfect system for it IMO, and isn't the World Cup of hockey held in September? So the league would only shut down every 4 years as it is now

Archived