The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possibly the last NHL Olympics? World Cup of Hockey to return?

PlayStation

I think it will be just pure awesome to have both. Every 4 years its the olympics, and every 4 years world cup, just like the world cup of soccer. Which then makes it a intense world hockey tournament ever 2 years. Olympics, then 2 years later, it's the world cup of hockey, and so for.

FIFA doesn't allow players older than 23 to compete in the Olympics, so the Olympics is almost a second class event compared to the World Cup. FIFA is smart to do this. Create there own cash cow, and tell the IOC to go to hell for not giving them a piece of the pie.

FIFA also doesn't really have to worry about growing their sport globally like the NHL does. Smart leadership with real long-term vision should be happy to let our best play in return for the exposure the Olympic stage gives hockey. You don't get that with a World Cup in any single sport, except soccer.

The NHL hems and haws every time so these multi-millionaires and -billionaires can get free tickets to Olympic events. They protest that it's bad for their business, but then gleefully sell Olympic jerseys on NHL.com so in reality the league is making money off the Olympics that they don't have to share with the players.

And the OP already touched on why the NHL will always allow their players to go. Without it, Russia would take every gold and the KHL would appear to be the premiere hockey league in the world. For a league still looking to break into Europe, that's just bad for business. And it's bad for Canadian and American national pride, which would make people resentful of the NHL which might hit them in their wallets (which is the only thing they actually care about.)

Just like the Republicans talking about how Obama needs to "work with them" (despite having already outlined their "stop everything he wants at any cost and make it appear it's him not wanting to work with us" plan being made public before Obama was sworn in for the first time) and Bettman talking about how the owners don't really "want" yet another lockout every freaking time the CBA expires, it's all lip service. The NHL will bellyache about the players participating in the Olympics every time just to squeeze more money and perks for themselves.

I would prefer the World Cup. I find the Olympics are a very poor excuse for sports competition. The competion is unfair with differing numbers of athletes from each country. How 25 players can play 7 guelling games of hockey and win one gold medal collectively while some skier wins 7 races over a total of about 10-15 minutes for 7 gold medals is beyond my level of acceptability. And it also stops the NHL season which I don't like.

I would rather have World Cup of Hockey, Olympics should be for amateur players only!

Plus world cup/ Canada cup was some of the best hockey I have ever seen.

no

i want to see the best players in the WORLD play for their countries - its only once every 4 years - and who doesnt dream of watching lines like nash-crosby-stamkos and ovie-datsyuk-kovalchuk??

Just watching Sportsnet Hockeycentral at noon, with Bill Daly on the phone.

Anyways they talked a lot about Sochi and the safety concerns etc etc.

Then questions about the next Olympics were brought up (South Korea) and Kyreos tried to get something out of Daly but instead he only said they havent discussed anything yet and it would required both the NHL and NHLPA to agree.

We all know the NHL has been leaning against the Olympics and such prior to the Sochi games

Next they moved onto the topic of the World Cup of Hockey and saying it could make a return as the NHL is currently in discussions of having it make a return. You can google it if you'd like, been ongoing ror awhile, so sorry if this is not new to you.

Anyways my question is, would you rather have the Olympics, or the World Cup of Hockey.

Personally I'd rather keep it as is, this is the biggest stage in sports, and it would take a lot away from my enjoyment of the winter games.

The leagues obviously after the money and having control, but screw the league, they have screwed hockey fans enough.

Also if the NHL stops competing at the Olympics, say hello to the KHL and Russians winning gold every single time. Would Russian players like Ovie leave to play? Maybe. Many players dream of winning GOLD for their countries.

Anyways I tend to ramble a lot so I'll stop talking now and let you discuss.

Please do not even COMPARE the Olympics to the World Cup of hockey. That's almost a sin.

I would prefer the World Cup. I find the Olympics are a very poor excuse for sports competition. The competion is unfair with differing numbers of athletes from each country. How 25 players can play 7 guelling games of hockey and win one gold medal collectively while some skier wins 7 races over a total of about 10-15 minutes for 7 gold medals is beyond my level of acceptability. And it also stops the NHL season which I don't like.

They are different sports, if a country has a problem, then win the damn thing.

Archived