The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defence making offence look worse than it is.

Silfverberg Snipes

Now don't get me wrong, our offensive depth is pretty bad and our top end forwards aren't producing. However, I can't help watch all these games and realize how truly bad at offence our defence is. In particular they are TERRIBLE at breakouts. It's just awful to watch and stood out especially in the game tonight. Here are a couple of bad habits I've noticed in particular.

Hamhuis.

Holds onto the puck WAY too long. Gathers it behind his and and glides into the neutral zone looking for a pass but never making one. Skates to the blue-line and when he realizes he's too late he curls towards either side and fires it down along the boards (No player has ever received this pass properly and it often ends with the opponent gathering it up with no pressure in their own zone) or gains the red and dumps it in (does this way too late so all three forwards are standing still at the offensive blueline). Both options are terrible for transition offence.

Bieksa

I think the name "gunslinger" has gone to his head. Has made some REALLY boneheaded decisions in terms of pinching in the recent stretch. Although I can't harp on him too much, he is the only defence-man who seems to be able to gain the zone by themselves.

Garrison.

Tries the long bomb pass way too much. It's become quite predictable.

However, all these things aside the one thing that has irked me the most is the way they set up the play.

Every. Damned. Time.

Tonight I watched Bieksa curl back behind his net three times waiting for the perfect time to break out. He ended up dumping the puck in at the end of it anyway. It looks ridiculous in comparison to the Hawks defence who have the puck off their stick in the opposite direction almost seconds after they make an interception or receive a pass.

TL;DR: Our transition game is KILLING us because our defence have poor offensive awareness.

I think part of the reason is because of the new system. Hawks players have played under the same coach along with each other for 5, 6 years now so they pretty much know where each other is going to be.

For us, we have lost some key guys like Salo and Ehroff over the years, which is part of the reason but also with the new coaching staff, it looks like the players (forwards and d-mean alike) just don't know where to go at times. Also, although the core is pretty much the same, we have a lot of new faces and most of the core have missed time due to injury and have not had much time to adapt with the new guys under the new system. It's easy to blame Hamhuis for being too slow on making decision with the puck but it's the forwards job to get open for a pass as well. Basically, forwards and the dmen just are not in unison when we break out of our zone.

'our defense is error prone'

'bring back errorhoff'

:frantic:

A combined total of +55 in his 2 years in Vancouver. You have absolutely no argument whatsoever. These type of players are prone to these mistakes, cause they play a high risk high reward game and in many cases they are capable of bringing the play to the offensive zone, literally on a shift to shift basis in comparison to a "all around dman" who is less talented less confident, and often will rather make a pass, which sometimes get picked off.

In response to the author, I actually tweeted Mike Gillis in asking him to bring Ehrhoff back, and literally mentioned to him, the teams overall offence has dryed up.

BRING BACK EHRHOFF

To be fair, Ehrhoff's stats do point to him being a lot better in his own end than when he was here. This being said, why do people assume that Ehrhoff is capable of playing the type of game he did while he was here two or three years ago?

If it is to be argued that the Canucks' success (specifically the Sedins) was dependent upon Ehrhoff's abilities, the same can be argued that Ehrhoff's success was reliant upon the Sedins and the Canucks' system. It was a two way street, and many folks choose to ignore all of the factors which led to success and focus just of Ehrhoff.

As the Sedins and Ehrhoff are all underproducing, why do people assume that they will be able to re-kindle the "magic" from 2010?

regards,

G.

A combined total of +55 in his 2 years in Vancouver. You have absolutely no argument whatsoever. These type of players are prone to these mistakes, cause they play a high risk high reward game and in many cases they are capable of bringing the play to the offensive zone, literally on a shift to shift basis in comparison to a "all around dman" who is less talented less confident, and often will rather make a pass, which sometimes get picked off.

In response to the author, I actually tweeted Mike Gillis in asking him to bring Ehrhoff back, and literally mentioned to him, the teams overall offence has dryed up.

Playing most of his shifts with the Sedins, and getting most of the offensive zone starts. I'm sure that these factors were completely irrelevant to the success Ehrhoff enjoyed while he was here padding his stats.

While the Canucks might need a rushing d-man, I'm not convinced that Ehrhoff is the guy, except from a sentimental pov.

regards,

G.

Exactly.

I'm starting to think that they have the wrong type of d for torts system. Sure they can box players out and block shots but where is their transition game? The one quick pass out of the zone that salo and erhoff were so good at.

Erhoff was great at rushing the puck and salo knew how to qb the power play. Most importantly both could get pucks on net from the point- better than any d on this roster. And the other big attribute - salos one timer from the point.

Garrison was supposed to replace salos point presence but his one timer is nowhere as accurate - he needs to stop the puck first in order to be accurate. This gives the opposing d and goalie time to set up. Salo could also read the play much better than any of the current pp point men.

Even when this team was on top of the standings there was a noticeable difference in their record when salo was not in the lineup.

This roster was originally designed to be a puck possession team. Now there is more emphasis on dumping the puck in and getting the opposing d to turn around and chase the puck. There is more emphasis on our d pinching to prevent clearing attempts resulting from the dump and chase pressure... But these guys are not great at pinching. How many times have hamhuis and Bieksa made a bad pinch resulting in a goal.

Combine all this with no henrik , a slumping Daniel and an AWOL burrows and Kesler and you have the mess they are in now.

Playing most of his shifts with the Sedins, and getting most of the offensive zone starts. I'm sure that these factors were completely irrelevant to the success Ehrhoff enjoyed while he was here padding his stats.

While the Canucks might need a rushing d-man, I'm not convinced that Ehrhoff is the guy, except from a sentimental pov.

regards,

G.

and that's why Ehrhoffs production went up.. and that's how both Sedins won the Art Ross trophy... I'm fully aware that Ehrhoff played most of his shifts with the Twins. Why do Canucks fans bring up Ehrhoff? Cause it's worked before, it worked so well that it helped both twins win the art ross the first in team history, i'm not sure how much more convinced you need to be also why Ehrhoff? He seems to be the most useless to the Sabres organization, and he likes Vancouver, and he's the only one available, Brian Campbell salary is just retarded and even I touch that, you can go for Goligoski, but I will pass on that one. Ehrhoff is proven. Unless you have another idea?

and that's why Ehrhoffs production went up.. and that's how both Sedins won the Art Ross trophy... I'm fully aware that Ehrhoff played most of his shifts with the Twins. Why do Canucks fans bring up Ehrhoff? Cause it's worked before, it worked so well that it helped both twins win the art ross the first in team history, i'm not sure how much more convinced you need to be also why Ehrhoff? He seems to be the most useless to the Sabres organization, and he likes Vancouver, and he's the only one available, Brian Campbell salary is just retarded and even I touch that, you can go for Goligoski, but I will pass on that one. Ehrhoff is proven. Unless you have another idea?

And I'm not convinced that it will work again.

I don't see Ehrhoff being the same player as he was when he was here. And I'm not convinced that he can be productive in this system, just as he's not being productive in Buffalo (although there are additional factors there).

And I would really prefer that the team not pay out some good assets to bring Ehrhoff back to satisfy the nostalgia crowd. I'm also not that thrilled with his contract (mostly the term).

As to other choices, I don't have that answer atm, but a lack of an alternative on my part does not mean that Ehrhoff is the best choice. Perhaps someone else will supply us with a name or two for discussion.

From your examples:

Campbell wouldn't be that bad of a choice (financially) with a 50% retention. Heck, the Canucks might even be able to move Booth in the deal. The Panthers take the last year of Booth's contract, and send Campbell here with maybe only 40% retention (or less). Other assets could also be added on either side. The more (or better the quality) the Panthers add the more they can take off of the retention. Petrovic might be worth 10 - 15%.

regards,

G.

To be fair, Ehrhoff's stats do point to him being a lot better in his own end than when he was here. This being said, why do people assume that Ehrhoff is capable of playing the type of game he did while he was here two or three years ago?

If it is to be argued that the Canucks' success (specifically the Sedins) was dependent upon Ehrhoff's abilities, the same can be argued that Ehrhoff's success was reliant upon the Sedins and the Canucks' system. It was a two way street, and many folks choose to ignore all of the factors which led to success and focus just of Ehrhoff.

As the Sedins and Ehrhoff are all underproducing, why do people assume that they will be able to re-kindle the "magic" from 2010?

regards,

G.

Well said.

I don't see how Ehrhoff fixes anything other than maybe a bit of a bump to the PP. CE is a complimentary piece only.

Well said.

I don't see how Ehrhoff fixes anything other than maybe a bit of a bump to the PP. CE is a complimentary piece only.

I disagree, he was a major piece to our success. The problem we have right now is that all our defensemen are a clone of each other, and they all suffer from the same weaknesses. Essentially none of them can function at their best because they don't complement each other.

Hamhuis and Bieksa worked best when they only had to focus on shutting down. Now we have Hamhuis fumbling the puck and Bieksa pinching more than usual.

Edler works best when he doesn't have to touch the puck, other than for a one timer. Let him dish out hits and blast pucks and he is fine.

Well said.

What's wrong with complimentary pieces? Our insistence on implementing game changers is just taking us in the wrong direction. The fact is right now we DON'T have the right complimentary pieces to get the Sedin's going. We're trying to get them going by putting any other three unreliable players with them. What are they supposed to do in that situation?

What's wrong with complimentary pieces? Our insistence on implementing game changers is just taking us in the wrong direction. The fact is right now we DON'T have the right complimentary pieces to get the Sedin's going. We're trying to get them going by putting any other three unreliable players with them. What are they supposed to do in that situation?

Nothing is wrong with complimentary pieces, but anyone who puts an apostrophe in Sedins doesn't warrant any actual thought.

Christian Ehrhoff doesn't make the Sedins better. Or maybe Anson Carter could come back, that also once worked.

Agreed. Our general defensive play is not up to snuff as well. We spend way too much time in our zone because of turnovers and not enough time attacking. Our guys really need to work on decision making and passing.

I suppose all of this could be attributed to the fact that our guys are playing with zero confidence right now and everything feels like climbing a mountain.

Archived