The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Ideal 3 Year Plan

CanadianRugby

Heard a lot of ideas where this team should go, here's mine. We're not good enough to win the cup, not bad enough to rebuild (also our GM promised players/fans we'll be competing not rebuilding).

So, with limited cap space and a multitude of no trade clause contracts what can we do?

This season: Trade our draft picks at deadline to improve our team, be it scoring or more defense. Whatever you can do to improve our lineup for this year. We all know playoff hockey is different, more defensive. Being an all out defense team could work for us, especially if we add bigger/better grinders so we can roll 4 lines.

Year 2: With the cap going up, us buying out Booth and adding a couple of guys on rookie contracts to our lineup we'll have money to spend to improve our scoring. This is the year we go all in. Again trade away all our picks for rentals to improve the team. This is our last push for the cup with the current era of players.

Year 3: Rebuild time. Not everyone will waive their no trade clause. But as the team becomes a sinking ship most vets you would think would like to go to a contender. Tanev will be 27 and Sedins 36. But all our other core players will be between 30-35 years old. Definitely young enough to bring back good trade value. We trade for a ton of draft picks/prospects and have a few years of being a terrible team while rebuilding through the draft.

Terrible idea. You can't basically write off two years of draft picks to try and win now, the chances of success are too low even for very good teams (remember 2011?). And if we only trade picks for rentals where do all the current roster players go?

this team is already 3 years behind schedule. they can't afford to wait. the gap between the current generation and the up and coming prospects is already several years too wide, and none of the current prospects are going to take on the burden of leading the offense. the players that will still need to be drafted, so the gap gets even wider still.

Just stay the course this season. In the off-season buy out Booth, give Tanev a 4 year deal around 3.5M per, Santorelli another year at 1.5M. I'd explore moving one of the "big four" on the back end (preferably Edler) for help up front. It'd also free up a spot for Tanev in the top 4 and for Corrado to slide onto the third pairing with Stanton. Horvat makes the big club, give Archibald a serious look at a spot on the fourth line, and that's about all I've got right now.

My plan:

This year = Crap shoot. Sell off redundancy at deadline for picks/prospects to restock cupboards. Let the boys play out the season as is...good or bad.

Next year = Re-tool. Buy out Booth, sign impact UFA or two and let youth on ELC's supplement the current core.

Year after = How's the Re-tool? If the vet/youth cores are meshing and dominating, we keep on trucking. If it's not looking good, we look at pending UFA's Kesler, Bieksa and Hanhuis to waive NTC's and begin an even greater rebuild in earnest.

Daniel and Henrik are signed for years, and have NTCs. Kesler is signed for 2 more years with ntc. Burrows is signed 3 more years with ntc. Edler is signed 5 more years, ntc. Bieksa 2 years, ntc. Garrison 4 years, ntc. Hamhuis 2 years, ntc. Luongo to the end of time, NTC.

With 47.5 million tied up for years of players who would be difficult to move with their NTC's, our core is not going anywhere any time soon and we're not going to be rebuilding. The only players truly tradable are ones like Higgins, Hansen - who generally provide good value for the money.

Can the team be tweaked? Sure. Maybe some of our prospects might develop and help improve things. Maybe a 3rd line player might get moved for another. Maybe next year with the cap higher we pick up someone in free agency. I don't think this team really needs a rebuild... but make no mistake about it - we can't... even if we wanted to.

Heard a lot of ideas where this team should go, here's mine. We're not good enough to win the cup, not bad enough to rebuild (also our GM promised players/fans we'll be competing not rebuilding).

So, with limited cap space and a multitude of no trade clause contracts what can we do?

This season: Trade our draft picks at deadline to improve our team, be it scoring or more defense. Whatever you can do to improve our lineup for this year. We all know playoff hockey is different, more defensive. Being an all out defense team could work for us, especially if we add bigger/better grinders so we can roll 4 lines.

Year 2: With the cap going up, us buying out Booth and adding a couple of guys on rookie contracts to our lineup we'll have money to spend to improve our scoring. This is the year we go all in. Again trade away all our picks for rentals to improve the team. This is our last push for the cup with the current era of players.

Year 3: Rebuild time. Not everyone will waive their no trade clause. But as the team becomes a sinking ship most vets you would think would like to go to a contender. Tanev will be 27 and Sedins 36. But all our other core players will be between 30-35 years old. Definitely young enough to bring back good trade value. We trade for a ton of draft picks/prospects and have a few years of being a terrible team while rebuilding through the draft.

Here's the way I see it. You already mentioned you don't think we are good enought to win this year, so I suggest we keep are picks this year. If we can get a good hockey deal (add a player like ott) we can look into it.

Year two we again should not trade away any draft picks, let are ELC get a feel for the NHL and develope

By the time we hit Year three we now have a younger core of:

Tanev, Jensen, Kassian, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Stanton, Lack, Gaunce, Cassels + we'd still have year one and year two draft picks

Sedin/Kesler might not play as important of role but still can provide leadership to our young players (something edmonton made a mistake giving up)

On top of this I can still see this team being a playoff team while transitioning into a new core. Just like Detriot has done so well doing

Next year = Re-tool. Buy out Booth, sign impact UFA or two and let youth on ELC's supplement the current core.

How does signing a impact UFA or two and then adding youth in work? We still have our core left on the team.

Sedins-Burrows

"UFA"-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Schroeder-Dalpe/Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen/Dalpe

Weise? Santorelli? Lain? Archibald?

It is really hard with all of our players to fit in UFAs and youth, or do you mean Lain and Archibald as the youth?

How does signing a impact UFA or two and then adding youth in work? We still have our core left on the team.

Sedins-Burrows

"UFA"-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Schroeder-Dalpe/Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen/Dalpe

Weise? Santorelli? Lain? Archibald?

It is really hard with all of our players to fit in UFAs and youth, or do you mean Lain and Archibald as the youth?

Did you miss the part where I said we trade off our redundancies for picks and prospects?

My plan:

This year = Crap shoot. Sell off redundancy at deadline for picks/prospects to restock cupboards. Let the boys play out the season as is...good or bad.

I would say best to keep the picks and prospects the Canucks have, the Canucks decline is almost 100% on par with what happened to Calgary after the cup run year. If I were Mike Gillis I dont wait until its too late to get a decent return on the core players. I understand the Sedins likely will not be traded, as they most likely would like to stay together, and @ 14 Million combined salary teams can likely get more production out of other signings for cheaper. But I would say sell at this years deadline, try to get guys to waive NTC's, pick up some prospects and picks, and the Canucks will still likely make the playoffs this year, I doubt they have a chance at beating any of the higher seedings, or finishing higher then 7th or 8th. But hey, I say start the rebuild now.

Trust me, as a Flames fan it becomes much more fun to watch your team again during a rebuild, even though they suck, I think its more fun because your not frusterated watching them struggle to make the playoffs, but rather your having fun watching all the young guys develop, and have fun being a pain in the butt for some of the better teams in the league when we hand them a dissapointing loss here and there.

Trust me Canuck fans, you would likely be happy with a complete rebuild now, vs in 2 or 3 seasons when none of your core is worth anything on the trading block.

I know I have read lots of people proposing San Jose or Anaheim type re-tools, but this does not seem feasible in the Canucks situation, as fore one, Anaheim in particular have a core of guys, excluding Selane who are all still under 30, so they had time to do a quick re-tool San Jose got lucky with a few good draft picks and trades and found the perfect balance between vets and highly talented youth.

Go for the full rebuild. Even the Oilers, while they were supposed to break out last season, and this, are still all very young, and I still believe there rebuild will bring them to being one of the top teams of the league, they just need to make a few key trades for some veteran blueline presence and develop Nurse/Shultz a little more and I think they will be there.

Im all for Canadian teams and I dream of the day when the West has all 4 Canadian teams competing in the playoffs. Start rebuilding now Canucks, so that when Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton are ready to compete so can you!!

Archived