The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is a badly coached team

CanAus8

I loved Tortorella's emotion and enthusiasm when he first came to the team but the honeymoon is over. I was optimistic about the future of the team for the first couple of months but it has all gone sour. I watch every game on NHL game centre and over the last month and a half, I have concerns about:

* the inability of the team to move the puck out of their own zone with a consistent plan. There is no evolving way of moving the puck out as a team, it is, always, move it up the boards and, hopefully, chip it out and give it back to the opposition. Guess what Torts, the other teams watch videos! I was very impressed with Chicago's ability to "one pass" the puck out of the zone so all 3 forwards are moving together. The Canucks look lost when trying to get the puck out.

* transition is a lost art for the Canucks. In 2011 they were so good at it but now it is chaos - one forward going north, one going east/west and one going south.

* over working players. Is it no wonder they have so many injuries? You play the same players 20-25 minutes a game they will get injured. You're not in New York anymore Torts. Your team has a horrendous travel schedule - distribute the work load.

* the worst part is the number of times players are out of position or they make stupid plays (mostly because they have no other option). Bad pinches by defensemen, forwards cruising back (hello, Hansen) rather than busting their ass to get back.

I still have confidence that Torts can be a good coach but it is not the players that need to change their mindset - it is the coaching and the management.

Canucks fans in November: Fire Torts

Canucks fans in December: Torts = best coach in Canucks history

Canucks fans in January: Fire Torts

It's almost sad how bi-polar this fan base is.

Stop that.

This board is many people with different opinions and not a hive mind where you are the sole free thinker that you are up against. Because of the large amount of people there are going to be those that only get louder based off the situation.

In december those that hated the Torts signing were just quiter is all. Now they get to talk.

It was never about "fire Torts". It is more about rethink the strategy about a team that has no identity.

We are not a team that thrives on skill.

We are not a team that will run you out of the rink with our size and "trunculence".

We are no longer a team that will beat you with speed.

WWe are a team with a little bit of each of the above but not enough.

We are not a team of youthful enthusiasm.

This is a coaching/management problem that needs to be addressed - the Vancouver fans deserve more than what is being offered.

At least Torts knows how to make the lineup without hurting the team, and actually screams at Edler when he plays like garbage. AV just stood behind the bench, chewed gum, and mistook Andrew Ebbett for an NHLer.

Yeah, bloody brilliant. I mean, I remember how much worse we did with Alain Vigneault than we're doing this season.With AV this team was just terrible, he's such an awful coach. Two President's Trophies, game 7 of the SCF, and career years for the Sedins, Kesler, and a host of other players ... which is basically nothing. A three year old probably could have had that much success.

But this year, oh man. Now that we have a REAL coach, we've got that "moral victory" down pat. And that's what it's really about, right guys? Right ... guys?

Yeah, bloody brilliant. I mean, I remember how much worse we did with Alain Vigneault than we're doing this season.With AV this team was just terrible, he's such an awful coach. Two President's Trophies, game 7 of the SCF, and career years for the Sedins, Kesler, and a host of other players ... which is basically nothing. A three year old probably could have had that much success.

But this year, oh man. Now that we have a REAL coach, we've got that "moral victory" down pat. And that's what it's really about, right guys? Right ... guys?

Look at all the injuries this year. Bottom line, the team won in spite of AV, not because of him. Torts at least has won a cup in his career, something AV will never do as he is simply not smart enough to adjust in the playoffs.

Archived