The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miss the Playoffs

The title says it all, kind of.

I obviously would want the Canucks to win a Stanley Cup, but with the way this season is going and how the past 2 seasons have gone I think some change needs to be made. That change should start by us missing the playoffs this year and looking at getting a top 10 draft pick. Then next season we will have a much more rounded line up and can take another legit shot at the cup.

If we actually do end up missing the playoffs, we could end up with a draft pick ranging anywhere from 7th-15th overall. If we land outside of the top 10 then I would hope we trade up but if we end up with the 10th overall pick or higher then great.

Canucks get 13th overall draft pick:

Trade pick + prospect (Sauve, Anthony, Rodin, or Mallet) for either 7th,8th,9th overall pick.

Canucks then draft either Haydn Fleury or Brendan Perlini

*That is just an example of what could happen if we get a pick between 11-15.

Now for draft day trades

Van: Jason Garrison

Ott: Matt Puempel, 2015 3rd round pick

Van: Alex Burrows

Mtl: Patrick Holland/Dalton Thrower, 2014 2nd Round Pick

Then we re-sign some of our RFA/UFA

Mike Santorelli- 1 year @ 1.25 million

Jordan Schroeder- 2 years @ 950k per season

Zack Kassian- 2 years @ 1.5 million per season

Chris Tanev- 2/3 years @ 2.575 million per season

Zac Dalpe- 2 years @ 650k per season (AHL)

Darren Archibald- 2 years @ 775k per season (AHL)

Compliance Buy-Out David Booth

Then on July 1st sign some FA's

Matt Niskanen- 3 years @ 4.525 million per season

Marian Gaborik- 1 year @ 5.5 million or 2 years @ 5 million

Kris Russell- 1 year @ 1 million

Would rather sign Callahan over Downie Gaborik (had Downie on my mind for some reason), but he is rumoured to want a 7 year deal with salary close to 6 million+

2014-15 Canucks Line Up

Sedin-Sedin-Gaborik

Higgins-Horvat-Kesler

Santorelli-Schroeder-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Niskanen

Stanton-Tanev

Corrado

Russell

Luongo

Lack

We would still have over $3 million in cap space.

I think Horvat should get a shot on the Canucks next season, the juniours won't help him out.

That is what I suggest the Canucks should consider, it is what I would personally prefer.

Yeah I know it would be pretty hard, but that's all it might take possibly or we could add 2 of those prospects. You never know sometimes, that's why added it's an example of the type of move we could make.

The price to move up even two picks in the draft will cost you a 2nd round pick at the very least.

And those trades.. :picard: I'll be the first to admit that so many CDC'rs overvalue our players but Matt Puempel and a 5th? The guy couldn't crack a PPG in the OHL... Even our favourite whipping boy Brendan Gaunce is doing that.

Also, trading burrows for 7th round pick, who has a career total of 39 points in 100 career AHL games..? oh you :bigblush:

And those trades.. :picard: I'll be the first to admit that so many CDC'rs overvalue our players but Matt Puempel and a 5th? The guy couldn't crack a PPG in the OHL... Even our favourite whipping boy Brendan Gaunce is doing that.

Also, trading burrows for 7th round pick, who has a career total of 39 points in 100 career AHL games..? oh you :bigblush:

I just went off based on the rumours that the Canucks want younger players who could be ready soon and also looked at 2 teams that could be good trading partners. What would you consider fair value?

I was just spit balling, trying to get some feedback/ counter offers. Just taking a look at people's reactions and seeing what would be fair, obviously we are not going to get Mika Zibinijad (spelling?) and a pick. Also, you won't be getting a Brendan Gallagher and 2nd rounder. I also thought of places that both players may agree to waive their individual NTC's and both of those destinations would seem like a fit to me.

I edited the 2 trade offers, I promise you will not be getting Curtis Lazar from OTT or Jared Tinordi from MTL. If that is what you're thinking for a fair return.

The price to move up even two picks in the draft will cost you a 2nd round pick at the very least.

Wow, that's steeper than I thought it would be. Try out a counter offer to what I proposed on the draft pick deal, I would like to see what you would consider to be a fair deal to move up about 4-5 draft picks.

I dont see anyway Garry waives his NTC... He's from White Rock, all his family lives here, it just wouldn't make sense for him personally to waive.

I think its very likely that Burr would waive for MTL, I'd say Bozon/Collberg + 2nd would be fair...

EDIT: You're revamped proposal of Thrower + 2nd is defintely closer in value, but I'd like to believe that we'd be trading for a LW/RW prospect, instead of a Center or Dman

serious question. Given his current production and contract why would Montreal want Burrows? He's got an even worse ppg average this year than Bourque does and they're dying to dump Bourque. Don't say because he's french. That's not a good enough reason. Burrows is a glorified3rd liner who has inflated stats because of his play with the Sedins. Montreal can make better use of that $4.54M of cap space

You wont be able to trade up in the draft with the keystone piece being Sauve, Mallet, Rodin or Anthony. Why would any team lower the talent of a top half first round selection just to get a prospect who is barely projected to crack line 4 or 3rd pair? Would you consider a trade to move back to say the 17th pick if the other team through's in Kyle Beach? If any of that was realistic you might as well trade all 4 of those players and keep moving up by adding them to your 1st round picks.

Burrows value is also going to be horrendous now. An aging player going on 33 years old this season with another 3 years left on his contract at 4.5 million and his production happens to be as bad as any other NHL players this season. He nothing but an ugly risk right now. The Canucks will ether have to keep him and hope he gets better or give him away for next to nothing.

Not to mention I doubt Montreal wants another aging under-performing liability. They already have Briere for that.

Archived