The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the players like Torts?

erkayloomeh

Okay I've been working up north and living in my rv for most of the season. I've only seen about 5 games.

I get pretty much all of my canucks info here from all of you guys. It seems everyone here loves torts.

The canucks are in a disarray and it seems that aside from injuries alot of our players are having bad years. You are talking alot about trading Edler (understandable) Hamuis, Kesler, hansen ( has been our hardest working player for years) garrison, and so on...... seems a little odd to me that so many players are not thriving this year.Could it be another problem?

Like I said I have only seen a few games this year so forgive me if way off here but could our coach be the problem with how so many players are playing badly? As an example of what I'm trying to get at here is this: one game I saw this year was torts freaking out on Hansen and repeatedly poking him on the bench. Ask yourself if you were in Hansen shoes and being an extremely hard working team first kind of guy; would you try harder (when your already trying your hardest), the same or less effort? Okay that's just one incident but to me a significant one.

so I'm asking you guys ( and girls). Are we missing something here?

Does this team like playing for him? Is he a good coach? He has passion no doubt. I like the way he handles media. But can he coach?

My gut feeling for what it's worth is he's at least part of the problem.

Your thoughts appreciated to this out of touch bucks fan.

They said they do and like his honesty. I get the sense when I hear them asked about torts that they feel he's the right man for the job.

Wouldn't be surprised if booth hates him though haha he's been this years Ballard.

As bad as it looks right now, He's really brought the level of some players play up. Kassian Tanev Higgins Richardson Stanton Sestito Dalpe and Santorelli before injury are all have great years for themselves. Even Schroeder is looking like a pretty good hockey player.

I believe they do collectively but I'm sure there are some who may not be totally on board yet. "The players" are a group of individuals and we can't speak for them or expect that they all are on the exact same page...it'll vary somewhat.

I can tell you that, at least initially pre-season, the guys really seem to respond well to him. I attended 2 days of scrimmages, start to finish, and saw him very "hands on" at ice level and interacting with them in a positive way.

A lot of affirmative nodding (he worked a lot with Kes and Burr)...I felt very good about how "connected" he appeared to be.

I also think how he came in here was wise...he didn't come barreling in with "I have all the answers"...he was thoughtful and methodical in stating that he had to wait and see what his players were all about. He also acknowledged that they were an experienced, veteran group who'd been around the block and respected that for what it was.

So the fact that he didn't come in with ego and admitted that he didn't know "yet" what would need to be done spoke volumes to me. Showed that he was going to properly assess things before making decisions.

It's still pretty early to determine like/dislike in my view. I'm sure they like his brutally honest approach, which is refreshing in this league of crap.

SDC16118_zpscf75d314.jpg

IMHO I seriously DON'T think Torts is the problem. Seems everything the players have said has had a positive tone to it, up to and including his Calgary Flames meltdown. All players interviewed liked the fact that he stood up for them and "had their back". Think they really like the emotion and the involvement after so many years of "meh" with AV.

With that said though, I do feel that the current team has too many players that are not suited to Torts style re playing time and the new demands on physical play. Obvious the team is in the middle of a transition from a speedy, (smallish), skilled team, to a bigger, more rugged, more physical team. Up to Gillis to supply/change that. Up to Torts to work with and coach what he's given. So far I give Torts an A- for his efforts.

:)

I believe they do collectively but I'm sure there are some who may not be totally on board yet. "The players" are a group of individuals and we can't speak for them or expect that they all are on the exact same page...it'll vary somewhat.

I can tell you that, at least initially pre-season, the guys really seem to respond well to him. I attended 2 days of scrimmages, start to finish, and saw him very "hands on" at ice level and interacting with them in a positive way.

A lot of affirmative nodding (he worked a lot with Kes and Burr)...I felt very good about how "connected" he appeared to be.

I also think how he came in here was wise...he didn't come barreling in with "I have all the answers"...he was thoughtful and methodical in stating that he had to wait and see what his players were all about. He also acknowledged that they were an experienced, veteran group who'd been around the block and respected that for what it was.

So the fact that he didn't come in with ego and admitted that he didn't know "yet" what would need to be done spoke volumes to me. Showed that he was going to properly assess things before making decisions.

It's still pretty early to determine like/dislike in my view. I'm sure they like his brutally honest approach, which is refreshing in this league of crap.

SDC16118_zpscf75d314.jpg

Excellent post. League of crap, indeed!

NO way to know unless you're one of the players in the room.

It isn't really necessary for them to "like" Torts as much as it is important for them to respect him.

SCotty Bowman was not a "friend" to his players and was a very tough task-master. Lots of his players didn't like him personally, but they respected him as a coach and played for him knowing he would make them successful.

These aren't PeeWees. Whether or not they like the coach or are friends with him means very little. \mutual respect is what makes the relationship work.

SCotty Bowman was not a "friend" to his players and was a very tough task-master. Lots of his players didn't like him personally, but they respected him as a coach and played for him knowing he would make them successful.

Steve Shutt likes to say about Scotty....'you hated him 364 days/year and then on the 365th, you got your Stanley Cup ring'.

Steve Shutt likes to say about Scotty....'you hated him 364 days/year and then on the 365th, you got your Stanley Cup ring'.

Exactly!

I don't know for sure but from what I have seen/heard, the vets seem to respect that Torts is blunt and honest with them. Some of the supporting cast appear to be struggling with his decisions (Weise) but perhaps Torts is more respectful himself of players that respond in a manner he thinks is appropriate.

Some will take a tongue lashing and use it as motivation to play better. Others will sulk and withdraw or lose confidence. Still others will disregard the coach and change nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if what we are seeing in this group's performance is a combination of how a group that has been together for a long time with much autonomy from the previous coach is struggling to find their comfort level. A weeding out process so-to-speak.

NO way to know unless you're one of the players in the room.

It isn't really necessary for them to "like" Torts as much as it is important for them to respect him.

These aren't PeeWees. Whether or not they like the coach or are friends with him means very little. \mutual respect is what makes the relationship work.

excellent point. Respect is probably the key word I should have used when starting the thread. In a other post someone mentions Scott bowman. His demeanor actually reminds me a lot more of AV than it does Torts.

Exactly!

I don't know for sure but from what I have seen/heard, the vets seem to respect that Torts is blunt and honest with them. Some of the supporting cast appear to be struggling with his decisions (Weise) but perhaps Torts is more respectful himself of players that respond in a manner he thinks is appropriate.

Some will take a tongue lashing and use it as motivation to play better. Others will sulk and withdraw or lose confidence. Still others will disregard the coach and change nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if what we are seeing in this group's performance is a combination of how a group that has been together for a long time with much autonomy from the previous coach is struggling to find their comfort level. A weeding out process so-to-speak.

I think you are right on the money DIB. Bringing in Torts has enabled management to get a good, long look at the makeup of this team. It's also allowed them to determine who fits the direction going forward and who may require a change of scenery.

This says everything. In the end, players respect coaches who push them to be better even though they may not like the methodology at the time. Pros get that.

Just like in life, you often have to work through pain to get results. In some cases, "like" is just another way of avoiding necessary pain to be successful.

But the players have been vocal about wanting Torts' accountability. That's a good thing.

I actually don't care if the players like him or not. I personally think they do, and they also respect him. I, as a fan, love Torts, because he plays the game the right way. He answers the bell, so instead of us watching douchbag Brown hit Henrick and get away with it, he makes Brown pay. We may not go far this year, but i am loving watching most of the games. The only ones i don't like are the games that the players seem not engaged.

Archived