The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) My Version of the 'Retool' -----> Longish read

Pears

After reading a bunch of retool threads and contributing my opinions, I figured I'd give my vision of how the retool should go. First lets look at our prospect pool. I really think this retool should mainly focus on filling holes in our prospect pool and we could fill a lot of them at this years draft.

Shinkaruk - Horvat - _____

_____ - Schroeder - Kassian

Fox - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Lain - Grenier

_____ - Tanev

_____ - _____

J. Subban - Corrado

Lack

Eriksson

Now onto the trades:

1)

To Vancouver: Griffin Reinhart, 2014 1st (13th)*, 2014 2nd (43rd)*

To NY Islanders: Alexander Edler

I really think this is fair value for Edler and the fact that the Isles need a top 2-4 defenceman helps a lot.

2) **credit to playboi19 for the idea**

To Vancouver: Nikita Kucherov, Teddy Purcell, 2014 2nd round pick

To Tampa Bay: Ryan Kesler

In valuing Kesler, I would look at what Mike Richards got for Philly: A top six forward (Simmonds), a top prospect (Schenn), and a pick (1st?). I don't think Tampa would be the best place to trade Kes but this is just an example of what he should be traded for.

3)

To Vancouver: Vincent Trochek, 2014 1st (11th)*

To Florida: Roberto Luongo, Jannik Hansen

This is a big one. Luongo has stated many times that if he were to be traded, his preferred destination would be Florida.

4)

To Vancouver: Nathan Beaulieu

To Montreal: Alex Burrows

I would hate to see Burr traded as much as the next guy, but I think this trade would be perfect for both clubs.

At the draft:

Van 1st: 10th* - RW Jake Virtanen

Fla 1st: 11th* - LD Haydn Fleury

NYI 1st: 13th* - RD Roland Mckeown

Van 2nd: 40th* - G Thatcher Demko

Prospect pool after the draft:

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen

Kucherov - Schroeder - Kassian

Fox - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Trochek - Grenier

Reinhart - Mckeown

Fleury - Tanev

Beaulieu - Corrado

Lack

Demko

Compliance buy out on David Booth

Cap space for re-signings: $30,320,000

--------------------------------------------------------

Re-signings:

Chris Tanev: 3 x $3 million/year

Zack Kassian: 2 x $1.5 million/year

Mike Santorelli: 1 x $1.5 million/year

Dale Weise: 2 x $850K/year

Yannick Weber: 2 x $800K/year

Jordan Schroeder: 2 x $950K/year

Cap space for free agency: $22,670,000

-------------------------------------------------------

Signings:

Ryan O'Reilly: 5 x $6.5 million/year = 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick

Jaroslav Halak: 5 x $5 million/year

Matt Niskanen: 3 x $4 million/year

Todd Bertuzzi: 1 x $1.5 million

Remaining cap: $4,720,000

-------------------------------------------------------

Sedin - Sedin - Purcell

Kucherov - O'Reilly - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Schroeder

Archibald - Richardson - Bertuzzi

Sestito, Santorelli

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Niskanen

Stanton - Bieksa

Halak

Lack

Thoughts?

To Vancouver: Jonathan Drouin, Teddy Purcell, 2014 3rd round pick

In valuing Kesler, I would look at what Mike Richards got for Philly: A top six forward (Simmonds), a top prospect (Schenn), and a pick (1st?). I don't think Tampa would be the best place to trade Kes but this is just an example of what he should be traded for.

No way would Kesler get us Drouin AND Purcell..

Good lord...

Those first two trades would never be accepted. Gillis is a smart man but that proposal to the Islanders would even make that idiot Garth Snow look smarter than him, and Giliis would be disgracing one of the most successful pioneers in the history of the NHL in Yzerman by proposing that.

The trades aside, it'll be a slower process than this. I think we will be standing pat at the deadline but if the market for someone like Edler or Hansen is really high then I can see Gillis pulling the trigger and completely robbing someone willing to overpay. Look at what happened with Erat being traded to Washington. There is still a lot of hockey to be played until the deadline on March 5th and so much of what happens then will be determined on how we play in this next month.

???? lol.

Good luck with those deals.

It's funny because in your proposal, you trade kesler for three assets, and two of which are going to be in the top six next year. 2c for a 1lw and a 2rw +

the rest i'm not going to get into.

just lol.

Tom we have had our disagreements, but you are spot on here.

Seriously, I started reading this guys' proposal and my head just kept shaking. Is it even worth pointing out all the ridiculous flaws??

Seriously what is this crap?? And that Luongo proposal lol. Good lord.

1)

To Vancouver: 2014 1st (13th)*

To NY Islanders: Alexander Edler

To Vancouver: Nikita Kucherov, 2014 1st round pick

3)

To Vancouver: Vincent Trochek, 2nd/3rd

To Florida: Roberto Luongo

4)

To Vancouver: 2nd if they actually believe he'll be back.

To Montreal: Alex Burrows

Kesler is the perfect winger for the twins with chemistry, size, fights, good shot so I don't trade him

Burrows heart and soul player may cost 4.5mil but can play both wings and center when needed to important even if not getting points

Luongo only way I would move him is if he asks in the offseason

And Edler not sure if would go to the Islanders but if their 1st is not in the top10 its Buffalos and they wont trade next years

With Gaunce and Horvat in the system O'Reilly is redundant he is not a speedy player has a good IQ and good hands but to me just looks like a more developed Gaunce

Niskanen takes Corrados spot and I believe he should make the team next year in the bottom pairing

Bertuzzi I wish would be a perfect mentor for Kassian but he will probably stay in Detroit or retire

and Halaak not sure need him with Lack would rather look at more of a veteran like Gigure Thomas ect to backup Lack since he seems ready to be a starter but have another guy there that can play big games incase he shows is not ready

The 1st one, They don't need to add after the Reinhart + 2nd round pick.

The 2nd one, I wouldn't do it. Although Kucherov is a good skilled winger, centre is the 2nd most valuable position in my opinion. You build teams from the centre position and we are just adding more wingers to our strong depth of wingers. We already have Kassian, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Booth, Sedin as our wingers we don't need anymore.

The 3rd one, massive underpayment. Crappy contract for a goalie soon to decline and another high pick plus a very good prospect. They give way too much.

The last one, no we don't need that many defensive prospects.

Let me say this one thing, we don't need a team full of prospects. Did you forget that Hamhuis has 6-7 years left? Garrison has 7-8 years left, how will the prospects come up if our players are taking spots?

Kesler is the perfect winger for the twins with chemistry, size, fights, good shot so I don't trade him

Burrows heart and soul player may cost 4.5mil but can play both wings and center when needed to important even if not getting points

Luongo only way I would move him is if he asks in the offseason

And Edler not sure if would go to the Islanders but if their 1st is not in the top10 its Buffalos and they wont trade next years

With Gaunce and Horvat in the system O'Reilly is redundant he is not a speedy player has a good IQ and good hands but to me just looks like a more developed Gaunce

Niskanen takes Corrados spot and I believe he should make the team next year in the bottom pairing

Bertuzzi I wish would be a perfect mentor for Kassian but he will probably stay in Detroit or retire

and Halaak not sure need him with Lack would rather look at more of a veteran like Gigure Thomas ect to backup Lack since he seems ready to be a starter but have another guy there that can play big games incase he shows is not ready

Thanks for posting a knowledgable response that isn't filled with 'lol' or 'what a joke'.

I agree that Kesler is perfect for the Sedins but if we need a serious shake up, although it pains me to say this, he would be the guy I would look at moving

For Burrows same reason as Kesler

This retool would take place in the summer, and if Luongo wants out Gillis or someone else will have to accomodate him

Maybe the Islanders aren't the best team to trade Edler to, I just would LOVE to see us somehow acquire Reinhart

Good point on O'Reilly, but if we get him he'd be the perfect mentor for Horvat and Gaunce

IMO Corrado could use another year or two getting top minutes in Utica, so maybe a 1 or 2 year deal for Niskanen instead?

I think if we offer Bert the right amount he'll come here and retire a Canuck

IMO I don't think Lack is ready to be a full time starter. I thought of bringing Halak in since he'd be the perfect goalie to bring in for 2-3 years until Lack is ready to take over.

Archived