The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Deadline Moves

nmayne

First post here, but I've been seeing so many crazy proposals I thought I'd try something I think is more feasible.

First off, I don't like the "try again in 4+ years" approach, as I think there is still a chance (albeit small) to win a cup with the Sedins. And even with the current slide we are on, we still have a relatively good shot at making the playoffs, where really any team can win. We have seen 10th seeds turn it up a notch after the deadline and make the playoffs while playing their best hockey of the year, so for an 8th seed to do the same is not unreasonable. But this team needs some changes, Torts knows it and if Gillis wants to keep his job much longer I think he is going to have to accept it as well. They won't be interested in bringing in rentals, but I think we do have some assets that could be moved for players that could reasonably stick with the team for a few years.

Looking at our roster, I believe the true untouchables would be the Sedins and Kes (I know, I know, 99% of the bandwagon is on a trade Kes tear right now but get real, we don't want to turn into the Oilers as appealing as a total rebuild sounds). Obviously there are some unmoveable players too (Booth, maybe Garrison, Lou unless he has a killer Olympics), and some who I'd like to keep (Higgy). So looking at the rest of the roster, the players I would pinpoint to trade off would be:

Edler (NTC)

Burrows (NTC)

Hansen

Schroeder

From what I've been hearing from various media outlets (grain of salt...), the most likely big-ticket targets for the Canucks would be:

Ott (BUF)

O'Reilly (COL)

Callahan (NYR)

Kane (WPG)

Ladd (WPG)

So saying we move all four of the assets listed above, plus obviously some picks (2nd round or later, I can't see us giving up a first), and perhaps some non Bo/Hunter prospects (only if we get some younger players at the deadline), the holes in our roster would be:

Sedin - Sedin - _______

Higgins - Kes/________

Booth - ______ - _______

Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe/Other

Bieksa - Hamhuis

______ - Garrison

Diaz - Tanev

Stanton/Weber

Lou

Lack

First, and I know this is already making its rounds, but I do feel an Edler+ for O'Reilly trade is doable. I would do:

From Van:

Edler

3rd Round Pick 2014 Draft (could do conditional to 2nd if O'Reilly re-signs)

From Col:

Ryan O'Reilly

Edler isn't playing excellent right now and I don't think he would be opposed to a change (but who knows). This trade sort of removes the need for Ladd, so he moves off the list, and I really don't think we have the assets to reasonably make a trade for Kane, which leaves Callahan and Ott as potential targets.

To fill in our 3rd line center hole, I think we could potentially do a Schroeder for Ott swap. I don't really consider Schroeder a prospect (I know he is 23 but at best he is a Derek Roy someday which doesn't fit the mold). We may even be able to get a later pick with Ott for Schroeder considering he is a UFA.

From Van:

Schroeder

From Buf:

Ott

4th (2014)

Perhaps we could get Ott for a pick, but to me Schroeder doesn't have a tremendous amount of upside or value.

Then the biggest reach but stay with me on this one. Vigneault probably would like some players that already know his system, and of all the players on NYR that wouldn't want to come to play for Torts, I don't think that Callahan is one of them. He plays Torts style and would fit in well as a 2nd line winger. His value is highly debatable, so I know there will be cries of underpayment/overpayment here.

From Van:

Burrows (waives because lets face it, he isn't having a great start under Torts and would go back to playing under Vigneault)

Hansen

Gaunce (or Jensen)

2nd Round Pick (2015)

From NYR:

Callahan

(tl;dr skip here)

If these trades happened, the lineup for this year could look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - O'Reilly - Callahan

Booth - Ott - Kassian

Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe

Lain

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Tanev - Garrison

Diaz - Weber

Stanton

Lou

Lack

This gives us just under a million of cap space. Next year, providing Booth is bought out, the forward lineup could look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - O'Reilly - Callahan

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe

I think either of these lineups could contend.

Have at it.

I am really not a big fan of Callahan, he is a gritty 2nd liner. I think that a long term deal with Callahan isn't what we need and we should be building toward the future not giving up picks/prospects for a player like him. He is 28 years old and then adding 6-7 years on a contract will make him useless at his old age.

IMO, keep picks/prospects and go selling mode not buying. Buy picks/prospects only.

I didn't view the Callahan deal as a rental, without Booth we would have the cap space to sign him, especially with the cap going up, and I feel like him and Kesler could give us 5 years of incredible shutdown 2-way play under Torts. The only rental would be Ott, and it is only needed because of the Santo injury.

I kind of see Callahan as a Burrows type player who has actually proven he can play rather than having his value inflated by his line mates (not saying Burrows is awful, but he is a 3rd liner whereas Cally is a real top 6 guy).

@ Pears - maybe we could get something more from Buffalo then, but he definitely doesn't fit Torts' mold and Buffalo seems to like 1-way centers with no place in our lineup. I think it is inevitable Schroeder is going at some point, and I think he could be a perpetually injured player we can never get rid of unless we move him while he is young.

Archived