The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

608px-2014_Winter_Olympics_logo.svg.png

Motto: "Hot.Cool.Yours"

Opening Ceremony: Feburary 7th 2014

Closing Ceremony: Feburary 23rd 2014

Offical Website: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/

Schedule: http://www.sochi2014...games/schedule/

Cost: $50 Billion *Making it the most expensive Olympic games in history, $10 Billion more than Bejing* - Five times more than original estimates.

Venues (All are new):

Sochi Olympic Park

800px-Sochi_2014_olympic_coastal_cluster_map-en.svg_.png

49543393.jpg

Name: Bolshoy Ice Dome

Translation: Major Ice Palace

Event: Ice Hockey

Capacity: 12,000

Cost: 180.1 million

bolshoi-ice-dome.jpg

8258583045_5a6ca29e83_b.jpg

Iceberg2.jpg

Name: Shayba Arena

Translation: Hockey Puck Arena / Sledge Hockey

Event: Ice Hockey

Capacity: 7,000

Cost: 27.2 million

*The “Shayba” Arena is a moveable venue, making it possible to be dismantled and transported for post-Games use as an Ice Palace in another Russian city.*

MLA_02_13_1.jpg

AFP_121107_hr03e_arena_sotchi_hockey_sn635.jpg

Name: Adler Arena Skating Center

Translation: N/A

Event: Speed Skating

Capacity: 8,000

Cost: 32.8 million

KKC_11_12_9.jpg

olov_1[1].jpg

6B1promosochicolor20p-1024x682.jpg

Name: Iceberg Skating Palace

Event: Figure skating, Short track speed skating

Capacity: 12,000

Cost: 43.9 million

640px-RIAN_archive_985705_Olympic_venues_construction_in_Sochi.jpg

316.jpg

Name: Ice Cube Curling Center

Event: Curling / Wheelchair Curling

Capacity: 3,000

Cost: 14.0 million

c2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvaS9jL3ovY3pBeE9DNXlZV1JwYTJGc0xuSjFMMmsxTWpndk1USXdPUzlsTXk4M05qVXpaRFpsTURSaE4yWXVhbkJuUDE5ZmFXUTlNakl5T1RBPS5qcGc=.jpg

4336-640.jpg

Name: Fisht Olympic Stadium

Translation: Named after Mount Fisht

Event: Opening Ceremony, Opening Ceremony

Capacity: 40,000

Cost: 63.5 million

eTOzy.jpg

cst_1.jpg

Krasnaya Polyana

krasnaya_polyana_map2_eng.jpg

Venue: Laura Biathlon & Ski Complex

Event: Biathalon, Cross Country Skiing, Nordic

Capacity: 9,600

Cost: N/A

6885523863_5b55c71207_b.jpg

Name: Rosa Khutor Extreme Park / Alpine Center

Event: Freestyle Skiing, Snowboarding, Alpine Skiing

Capacity: 8,000

800px-PGS_SX_SBX_Sochi_20141.jpg

Name: Sliding Center Sanki

Event: Bobsleigh, Luge, Skeleton

Capacity: 11,000

Cost: 135.7 million

sanki_3b.jpg

sliding-center.jpg

Name: RusSki Gorki Jumping Center

Event: Ski Jumping, Nordic

Capacity: 7,500

603520996.jpg

158026981.jpg

Mascots:

Snow Leopard

Zaya/Zaika the Doe - Hare

Bely Mishka - Polar Bear

00-sochi-2014-mascots-stamps.jpg

Paralympic Mascots:

Fire Boy - Ray of Light

Snow Girl - Snowflake

Sochi_2014_Paralympic_Mascots.png

I'd prefer a rematch vs. the States :)

I'd rather play Russia since it's on their home ice, and they are ranked the #1 nation in hockey by the IIHF.

Of course if we did lose in the finals to Russia, it would not be as big as a blow, because I'll be less devistated knowing Russia won it at home, infront of their home country which would mean everything to the players and the country, just as when Canada won in Vancouver, the whole world was saying how it was fitting for Canada to win, and would of been wrong otherwise.

That's just a pill I'd have to swallow, but it would make it a lot easier for myself. Gosh I cant imagine how devistated I would of been if Kesler or Kane or anyone on the US scored in OT, and nor can the rest of Canada.

Let's go boys and girls!!! Go Canada Go!!!

Everything may be new, but the venues are so small, 7,0000-12,000 people hockey arenas? While it does make sense for the long term, all the maintence, usage and such, it wont be as great as the renovated venues in Vancouver athmosphere wise, sure some of those arenas look amazing.

The Shayba arena is literally a shape of a hockey puck (as I realized not long ago) and the fact that it will be moved after the games is really O_o

And again, 50 billion? Sort of hard to dig yourself out of that hole any time soon.

And sorry esten3 :P I have had midterms for 3 straight weeks, I was originally going to start it exactly 1 year away from the opening ceremony.

The problem is, no one will use these venues after the Olympics are done with in Sochi. The city is a coastal summer resort, not a winter sports haven like Whistler (or even Vancouver a majority of the time).

The venues will be abandoned and deteriorating post-2014, just like a majority of the Beijing 2008 ones.

• 7 months later...

The problem is, no one will use these venues after the Olympics are done with in Sochi. The city is a coastal summer resort, not a winter sports haven like Whistler (or even Vancouver a majority of the time).

The venues will be abandoned and deteriorating post-2014, just like a majority of the Beijing 2008 ones.

The plan is to make Sochi a year round vacation/sporting destination. The large amount of funds being put towards infrastructure, transportation, accomodation and communications upgrades for the olympics makes the city well positioned for further events down the road. The Olympic stadium will become the training and exhibition center for the Russian Football Federations national teams. Summer 2014 will be the first year of The Formula one Russian Grand Prix on a street circuit with construction going on alongside the Olympic construction. whether it all pans out or not remains to be seen but at least some of the venues will remain useful for some time after the Olympics.

Was reading bout the Greece 2004 summer olympics. Members of the planning committee admitted afterwards that there was absolutely no thought given to what the billions of dollars worth of venue construction would be used for after the olympics were over. None of it was designed to be repurposed or even easily taken down. Large expensive venues with no use lie rotting around Athens. Theres an example of how not to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thats nuts! Do you live there? And price? Was it hard to get?

No I live in Seattle but am a duel citizen and more Canadian than American.

It set me back around 8k

I jumped on their site as soon as they were available and snagged them the seats for the gold medal game arent great but crap I'll take 'em

Archived