The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not as bad as it seems

Commercial Canuck

Certainly trending downward since the start of 2014, but our record can still hold up after the break, considering there is improvement. We don't need to "clean the house" and drastically change things up.

I have a rule that if you have 26 regular-time losses by the 14th of February, then you need a major trade. The Canucks are nearly there, but are not bombing spectacularly to warrant an overhaul.

Bringing in Diaz (puckmoving D) for Weise (expendable 3/4th liner) was a good move.

Bringing in someone to replace Santo's point production would be a great move as well that wouldn't cost much if Gillis does his usual moneyball method.

Trading Edler is the only real bold-move he has at the moment, and doing that does require breaking his code of contract trust between him and his players. Edler also can still produce brilliantly for us, and that contract would then look fabulous.

With nagging injuries, it could be harder for players to buy into a system when they're worried about their new line-mates who haven't been playing with them regularly.

Also, the suspension to our coach didn't help with that. My evidence that Torts is a good coach is our record before 2014, and the way we've played since having him come back. Yes, they've been losses, but they're playing a lot better than under Sully.

At the end of the day, what I'm trying to say is this: There is STILL hope. We don't have to look forward to a Top 10 pick. This break will be good for us.

I believe in Torts. I believe in our team. I believe in Gillis.

(Sorry for the rant, my threads always get closed anyhow)

I agree, I think this slump is a mixture of different unfortunate occurrences.

I believe that they just need to peel each one off their backs at a time.

Having a healthy squad is definitely the beginning

Clearing minds is huge for this team, so hopefully this break will be good for them.

And as you said a trade to bring in some more offensive power will most likely give this team the boost they need, there's too much pressure on Daniel and Burrows right now.

I agree, I think this slump is a mixture of different unfortunate occurrences.

I believe that they just need to peel each one off their backs at a time.

Having a healthy squad is definitely the beginning

Clearing minds is huge for this team, so hopefully this break will be good for them.

And as you said a trade to bring in some more offensive power will most likely give this team the boost they need, there's too much pressure on Daniel and Burrows right now.

I may be wrong, but i am certain this is not just a slump. We were not doing much prior with mostly healthy team against the playoff teams.

The team is simply not that good and fans just find it hard to accept. We have gotten worse every year since 2011

So we're going to be like Calgary now, hold on for dear life because a few people can't stand the thought that a losing season might be what's best for the long term. Whatever, enjoy being long term mediocre in that case. We aren't the LA Kings.

What if the Canucks decided to throw in the towel in 94?

What if the Oilers tanked in 06?

Once you make the playoffs any team can get hot at the right time.

This team may look like it's done now, but if they're playing their best hockey in April and May that's all that matters. I would rather have a small chance, then no chance at all.

And people that think that a top 10 pick is gonna somehow transform this team need to look at our history of top 10 picks. Not exactly an impressive list outside of the Sedins and Linden.

What if the Canucks decided to throw in the towel in 94?

What if the Oilers tanked in 06?

Once you make the playoffs any team can get hot at the right time.

This team may look like it's done now, but if they're playing their best hockey in April and May that's all that matters. I would rather have a small chance, then no chance at all.

And people that think that a top 10 pick is gonna somehow transform this team need to look at our history of top 10 picks. Not exactly an impressive list outside of the Sedins and Linden.

Good post!

Changing divisions + an Olympic schedule was always going to be a questionable regular season for the Canucks and that before the injuries, but you have to remember that an Olympic season's playoffs are a complete toss-up. Last Olympics a team went from a couple of bounces in a shootout away from missing the playoffs to slightly more than a couple of bounces away from hoisting the Cup.

This is a playoff team. We have the goaltending. We will get healthier after the break, and some good players are having uncharacteristically bad scoring slumps (I'm convinced Daniel is playing injured with a similar injury Kesler had two years ago). As De Niro alluded to, all we need is to get in the playoffs. From there, it's open season where great goaltending, puck luck and limiting injuries to key people are the keys to a long run and getting to the finals.

We suck and we'll probably suck after the break without some major changes. Is all hope lost? No, but we sure aren't cup contenders by any stretch of the imagination. But we really haven't been since 2011. Getting into the playoffs doesn't mean crap if you can't finish. But face it, we're Canucks fans and we're still here (unless you're trolling of course) but we'll(die-hards) still cheer them on even when they suck.

The other thing you have to remember is that depth is important in the playoffs. Players will get injured, lots of players, and judging by how we are doing now, it doesn't look good. I always want us to make the playoffs and have a go at the cup, but it seems the only way for there to any type of change to this core, which is overdue, is for us to bomb. If MG made a few moves (like 3+) then I would get excited, but I'm just tired of seeing this same group as it slows down and moves past its prime. We are at the point where even if we had our exact team back from the 2010 season it wouldn't do that well anymore. This franchise needs to start rebuilding while we have pieces to offer.

Archived