The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not as bad as it seems

Commercial Canuck

Buffalo says hi

Well,January's record is the worst of any team in the NHL.

I don't believe this team is the worst, but they may as well be with the way they're playing.

I can appreciate that not recognizing this team's struggles is "easier" for fans, I peronally beleive you are doing a disservice to the team, as a fan, to make believe like things aren't so bad.

They are bad. Maybe they will pull out of this after the break and maybe they won't. That doesn't change the fact that its clear that this is NOT a slump. This is the outcome of a team that has not upgraded its roster in far too long, has sustained injuries, has changed coaches and took on a new system, and a roster that is a year older and less capable of competing with size speed and youth that other teams have upgraded to.

This is not a throw against our players.. They are simply outmatched by the moves that other teams have made to improve where we have not made to improve. That's it.

MG can make all the excuses he wants.. Some my be legit and others not.. Doesn't matter quite frankly.. The team is where it is right now. As a fan, burying your head and convincing yourself its not so bad is not fair to this team.

I'm not saying trade everyone, but what I am saying is think about the situation and realize the team as it is now is not good enough and demand better, as a fan, from your team.

The team is in tenth place in the West.

Winnipeg and Nashville are now able to pass the Canucks so they could very easily sit in the twelfth spot shortly after the schedule resumes.

Other teams will be rested and they have as much -or more-to gain with a playoff berth.

The Canucks will do much better after the break,but other teams will be rested and play harder with only a couple of dozen games left in the season.

Aqua man and the G G will make a decision to trade expendable players to get the best draft pick they can-or not.

If the Nucks can get more than trade value for Richardson,Hansen or Tanev-whomever- it should be done.The NTC list is extensive but there is still room to move many players for above average return right now.

That is the reason it is not as bad as tenth place seems.My bet is Gillis and Aqua are going to be sellers.

If a real high draft pick can be returned for the Canucks this is the time to do it.

This team is hurting and sucking really bad. Time to face the music and do what is best for the future.

So we're going to be like Calgary now, hold on for dear life because a few people can't stand the thought that a losing season might be what's best for the long term. Whatever, enjoy being long term mediocre in that case. We aren't the LA Kings.

we're only going to be like Calgary if we keep trading away our picks and prospects to make a push every year

if we're trading away roster players for other roster players and or picks/prospects, we're turning ourselves into Hawks, Wings, Sharks and other teams that try to stay competitive every year

This is a playoff team. We have the goaltending. We will get healthier after the break, and some good players are having uncharacteristically bad scoring slumps (I'm convinced Daniel is playing injured with a similar injury Kesler had two years ago). As De Niro alluded to, all we need is to get in the playoffs. From there, it's open season where great goaltending, puck luck and limiting injuries to key people are the keys to a long run and getting to the finals.

Do you hear a plane or see Tattoo ? because i swear your living on fantasy island.

We would get killed by quite a number of teams in a 7-game series if the playoffs started today. Definitely got work to do before we can have the forward depth of a st.lous or chicago .. i want to throw anaheim in there too.. maybe even the colorado soon

That other thread about mason raymond was kinda true.. i mean.. whats 600k to give the kid a shot after all he's done for us?

The Sedins really need to pick it up if we stand a chance this year. Bo Horvat gives some excitement for next year though even if this one sucks!

Yes, yes it is that bad.

7 in a row with lackluster performances in that span.

I don't want them to 'stand a chance' this year. I want them to fail miserably and trade the core before it's completely valueless. Full on rebuild; we've had our day in the sun, now it's time to pasture those who do not produce for their contracts and pick up guys who will.

I'm all for sentimentality but I'd rather win a cup than have 20 guys constantly retiring jerseys every 15 years.

I'd say be sellers trade Garrison, Edler, Burrows, Hansen and rack up prospects and picks and then you have a mini rebuild but you still kept the core together. MG will never do this though and he will likely trade some draft picks to try and get into the last playoff spot and really even if they get in unless Luongo plays unreal there is no chance to make it to the finals.

I'd say be sellers trade Garrison, Edler, Burrows, Hansen and rack up prospects and picks and then you have a mini rebuild but you still kept the core together. MG will never do this though and he will likely trade some draft picks to try and get into the last playoff spot and really even if they get in unless Luongo plays unreal there is no chance to make it to the finals.

why would Garrison, a Vancouver boy, waive is ntc after one season? His whole life is here

Do you really think our biggest underachieving players have much value at this particular point......?..Then you say MG is so dumb he will trade all of our draft picks instead to get us in this years playoffs..Gee ,MG is dumb...

why would Garrison, a Vancouver boy, waive is ntc after one season? His whole life is here

I for one think MG is a good GM, but that being said; he has made a major mistake in giving all these players FULL NTC's and if he does not want to go to these players and tell them to waive their NTC then I would be all for bringing in a GM that would be willing to do that.

He can refuse and you know what he has that right but he does not have a NMC so unless he wants to be playing for Buffalo he should reconsidering his stance on his NTC. I've said it before and I will say it again this does not hurt Canucks in the FA because we don't get any players unless they are from Vancouver and get a FULL NTC or we drastically overpay.

Do you really think our biggest underachieving players have much value at this particular point......?..Then you say MG is so dumb he will trade all of our draft picks instead to get us in this years playoffs..Gee ,MG is dumb...

Garrison is not underachieving he is just soft and can't hit the net he does have a favourable contract so yes I think he is worth something. Edler is still worth something he still has a load of potential. Burrows who frackings know but the fact he has scored 30 goals before should keep his value at least at something reasonable. Hansen is a quality 3rd liner that has absolutely no hands someone will give up something for him.

I never once said MG is dumb I said he would never do that and would trade some draft picks for a player(s) to try and get into the last playoff spot. I think he still believes if this team gets into the playoffs it has a chance and I think that chance is far to low to risk any draft picks or prospects on.

I don't know if the Aquilini's will accept selling I think they are going to push for a blockbuster trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Wild card playoff floor is at 90 points. Meaning canucks need to go at least 12-7-1 to get in. Definitely doable. This next week will be a make or break weak as we play Dallas, Phoenix, and the Jets within the next six games, all teams we are in a fight against. I can see this team going 8-1 in their next nine. A Hawks/Canucks first round could be quite exciting. March is going to be a fun month. Things are really coming down to the stretch.

Wild card playoff floor is at 90 points. Meaning canucks need to go at least 12-7-1 to get in. Definitely doable. This next week will be a make or break weak as we play Dallas, Phoenix, and the Jets within the next six games, all teams we are in a fight against. I can see this team going 8-1 in their next nine. A Hawks/Canucks first round could be quite exciting. March is going to be a fun month. Things are really coming down to the stretch.

Doable, yes! However, one must assume that the stars will align and the other teams will bow down. I would be thrilled to see the Canucks in the playoffs, but I am sure that Tortz's system will have them too crippled to keep going... never mind make the playoffs, in the first place. Remember the run that the 2002-2003? team made in the end, only to come up short of 8th place? They went .750 or something over the last 20ish games. That was a fun ride. So yes, very doable. Sorry my stats are just foggy memories here... somebody feel free to post that run here.

Certainly trending downward since the start of 2014, but our record can still hold up after the break, considering there is improvement. We don't need to "clean the house" and drastically change things up.

I have a rule that if you have 26 regular-time losses by the 14th of February, then you need a major trade. The Canucks are nearly there, but are not bombing spectacularly to warrant an overhaul.

Bringing in Diaz (puckmoving D) for Weise (expendable 3/4th liner) was a good move.

Bringing in someone to replace Santo's point production would be a great move as well that wouldn't cost much if Gillis does his usual moneyball method.

Trading Edler is the only real bold-move he has at the moment, and doing that does require breaking his code of contract trust between him and his players. Edler also can still produce brilliantly for us, and that contract would then look fabulous.

With nagging injuries, it could be harder for players to buy into a system when they're worried about their new line-mates who haven't been playing with them regularly.

Also, the suspension to our coach didn't help with that. My evidence that Torts is a good coach is our record before 2014, and the way we've played since having him come back. Yes, they've been losses, but they're playing a lot better than under Sully.

At the end of the day, what I'm trying to say is this: There is STILL hope. We don't have to look forward to a Top 10 pick. This break will be good for us.

I believe in Torts. I believe in our team. I believe in Gillis.

(Sorry for the rant, my threads always get closed anyhow)

First off I agree with you on the whole. People are quick to forget that Mr Aquillini and family own the Canucks and have say what goes on in the end. Gillis isn't going to trade a major piece of the Aquillini's team with out discussing his direction on more than one level. In the end it's business. People around here throw players names around like they're in a card game. The Aquillinis are knowledgeable hockey fans as well as owners. They have billions of dollars that they handle and are hands on in their investment ventures at all levels. My point is that this ownership group isn't stupid nor is Mike Gillis. Personally I don't think Gillis gives a rip about the fans. He is the Aquillini buffer. We'll pay you the dough you take the heat. Remember, unless the club is sold the Aquillinis aren't going anywhere. Vancouver has committed ownership that can afford to do what it whats with THEIR hockey club.

Personally I am taking this season as the reset that was mentioned at the end of last season. Lets see where we sit by draft time.

I don't think any one thinks we're winning the CUP this year. Be patient.

aren't going anywhere. Vancouver has committed ownership that can afford to do what it whats with THEIR hockey club.

Personally I am taking this season as the reset that was mentioned at the end of last season.

right, because that's why we locked every player up in a NTC? Flawed.

Archived