The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post-Olympic Schedule

Canadian

Long-time member, but have not posted much in the last few years....

January and the start of February have been rough for the Canucks (and, of course the fans). There has been a lot of discussion on here about possible changes (GM? Coach? Players?), but the post-Olympic schedule plays into the Canucks favour quite well. Even if no changes are made, as long as the team comes back healthy from the Olympic break, the Canucks might have a chance to make the playoffs.....whether or not "making the playoffs" is what would be best for the Canucks long-term is for another thread.

Post Olympic Schedule:

Anaheim - 1st in West - 2 Games

St. Louis - 2nd in West - 1 Game

Chicago - 3rd in West - 0 Games

SJ - 4th in West - 0 Games

Colorado - 5th in West - 2 Games

Minnesota - 6th in West - 2 Games

LA - 7th in West - 1 Game

Dallas - 8th in West - 1 Game

Phoenix - 9th in West - 1 Game

Winnipeg - 11th in West - 1 Game

Nashville - 12th in West - 1 Game

Calgary - 13th in West - 2 Games

Edmonton - 14th in West - 1 Game

Tampa Bay - 3rd in East - 1 Game

NYR - 6th in East - 1 Game

Ottawa - 10th in East - 1 Game

Washington - 11th in East - 1 Game

NYI - 14th in East - 1 Game

Florida - 15th in East - 1 Game

Buffalo - 16th in East - 1 Game

Out of the Canucks remaining 22 Games, they play 11 against Non-Playoff Teams.

Only 3 of their remaining 22 games come against the Top 4 Western Conference teams.

The majority of their games are being played against similar bubble teams or weaker competition, which could be good for the Canucks.....In one way, it will be a struggle against all of these other teams who are completely pushing for the playoffs. But in another way, if the Canucks start playing like they should be (and were in December), the competition is slightly easier than facing off against the powerhouse Western teams down the stretch.

Anyways, trying to keep positive. Go Canucks Go :)

lol I don't see why anyone would think we can make the playoffs, nor why we would want to. Missing the playoffs would have been better than making it over the last two years, and I don't think we would fair any better this year, if we made it.

People are living in the past, this team is done.

So what will happen is this team will win just enough to squeak into the playoffs, only to be swept once again in the first round.

We will lose any chance at another top 10 pick and Mike Gillis will announce that injuries were the main reason for this team stumbling this year, and that he would give this core another chance. He'll also say that with a year under his belt in the Western Conference, Torts will be much better prepared for next season.

Yaaaaaaaayyy!

lol I don't see why anyone would think we can make the playoffs, nor why we would want to.

That's really two different questions. They certainly can make the playoffs. It shouldn't take too many wins to hang on to one of the two wild card spots. Heck, they aren't even that far behind L.A.

As for why, the only way to win the Cup is to make the playoffs. I admit, they don't look like they could beat a Timbits team right now, but get everyone back healthy and start stringing a few wins together and who knows what could happen.

I'm never in favour of tanking for a better pick.

The realist in me sais this team has already checked out and wont be making the playoffs...

But People seriously need to ask themselves what they want for this team??

Do you want to win a cup??

If so, This core had it's chance and failed. After that loss, They have not only looked lost and disinterested, But the physical decline of their games has accelerated.

For a million reasons, Any objective (non emotionl) person with any hockey knowledge, And a shred of honesty can see this core will never come close to a cup.

are the playoffs the end all, and you will be happy just getting there?

That would make the Aqulini's Happy $$$$. And make gillis EXTREMELY happy. He can make another million excuses for this team, Blame everyone and everything, Tell us its a process and come back next year with pretty much the same team 1 year older (with a couple cosmetic moves)

Is that what people really want to see?? The faster we accept reality, The faster this team can reverse this death spiral Gillis has gotten us into

The Aquilini's aren't the problem. They want to win. They're spending a decent amount of money.

The problem is that all the resources Gillis had at his disposal are now almost depleted. There is no fast way to replenish these resources. But I think patience is the key.

That, and a VAST improvement in drafting and player development ability. We're well behind several other american teams in this regard now, and it's reflecting in the standings.

If Burrows comes back after the break and he's still wearing that stupid thing on his helmet, then we're indeed in for a whole pile more losing, folks.

Something tells me that Burrows would not be wearing in these games it if he believed this team was going to do something this season.

It's making him look embarrassing. Does he purposely want to look embarrassing? If so, that's odd. Whatever though.

If Burrows comes back after the break and he's still wearing that stupid thing on his helmet, then we're indeed in for a whole pile more losing, folks.

Something tells me that Burrows would not be wearing in these games it if he believed this team was going to do something this season.

It's making him look embarrassing. Does he purposely want to look embarrassing? If so, that's odd. Whatever though.

LOL at the helmet excuse...

gotta hand it to some apologist fans for their creativity of finding excuses to justify poor play.

if his lid is the reason why he forgot how to play hockey, Then he should sit out until he comes back without it...

cant have a guy making 4+million, playing 1st line/pp minutes pulling a Gomez and using his helmet as the excuse.... Maybe a dip in performance can be bought, but not this.

LOL at the helmet excuse...

gotta hand it to some apologist fans for their creativity of finding excuses to justify poor play.

if his lid is the reason why he forgot how to play hockey, Then he should sit out until he comes back without it...

cant have a guy making 4+million, playing 1st line/pp minutes pulling a Gomez and using his helmet as the excuse.... Maybe a dip in performance can be bought, but not this.

A friend of a friend of mine knows Alex...and he says whenever he looks down, he loses the puck. I don't doubt that at all. But apart from that, just watching him in the rest of his game, he looks downright lost out there.

The Aquilini's aren't the problem. They want to win. They're spending a decent amount of money.

The problem is that all the resources Gillis had at his disposal are now almost depleted. There is no fast way to replenish these resources. But I think patience is the key.

That, and a VAST improvement in drafting and player development ability. We're well behind several other american teams in this regard now, and it's reflecting in the standings.

The Aquilini commitment to making this a top franchise cannot be criticized IMO. Buying the AHL

franchise is the latest effort. I give Gillis credit for making the franchise a more professional

effort.

Valuing players can be a crap shoot but obviously some franchises are much better than others. Utica

now allows Van to be far more patient developing players both as draft picks and as collegiate sign-

ings. Drafting players in the bottom third of the draft rounds simply makes it even more difficult. Ac-

quiring Tanev and Stanton on the back end is like getting two 1st rounders IMO. Who would have ever

thought that when it happened. The mechanics of 50 NHL contracts and balancing that with a AHL team has

real potential.

The key for Van's future is what identity the team will carry forward as it morphs away from the Sedin

era. It was NHL PR that rules would be adjusted to encourage puck possession and enhanced scoring. It

was unfortunate that Gillis believed that and as he now realizes that physical play will continue he

increases the size of his picks and signings. I am ready for a more in your face type of hockey team. Leaders like Smyl and Linden. Van should look at the Sea Hawks for the value of a team identity that

is different from what they have now.

If 93 points will get a Wildcard then the Canucks would need to go 15-7 over the last 22 games

LAK - 13 and 10 for 93 points

MIN - 12 and 11

DAL - 15 and 9

PHO - 15 and 9

VAN - 15 and 7

WIN - 16 and 6

NAS - 17 and 6

Our 7 game losing skid has really killed us.

This Canucks have had their ups and their downs. Right now this team is playing with zero confidence but Im confident that they'll be able to pull themselves together and win some games. This team is also capable of winning games at Rogers Arena especially when their 13 of last 22 games are at home so if this team wins the rest of their games at home and some of the remaining games on the road this team will be playoff bound especially when were getting fantastic goaltending from both Lu and Lack. I see this team finishing as a 5th or 6th seed.

Even though we are not as good as we were last year I believe the Canucks can still do it. To be honest this team is struggling due to many injuries occurring especially when one of our best Defenceman might be injured again and his name is Stanton, Ryan. I'm hoping that he will be better after the Olympic break. This team has no assets to trade for rentals. But I'm certainly hoping we will not be trading for rentals. This team will find ways to wins

We can get past LA pretty easily if we start to get in a bit of a groove. Honestly getting points in OT/SO losses won't help this team get anywhere. It's NOW OR THIS team will become a team like Calgary who will soon be rebuilding. Honestly I want this team to win the cup this year just because this team has what it takes to win it all

This team will finish in the top 5 of the Western Conference in the end of the season in my opinion

Thoughts

Archived