The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Blessing In Disguise?

HowYaDrouin

Well folks, its here, the day we're lumped in with the likes of Carolina and Winnipeg, Daniel hasn't scored in 2 and a half months, and has 1 point in 14 games, Burrows hasn't scored since the USSR became Russia, and our team has more holes than a fresh piece of Swiss. Is it a good thing? Obviously not, we all want our team to succeed, but is it a bad thing? Depends on your point of view.

Could this be the end of the era where we can look forward to good Canucks hockey? Or is it simply an anomaly, and instead its allowing us to retool on the fly (ala CHI, BOS). Despite your personal view of the clubs recent struggles, stay positive, because at the end of the day, we can all sleep in peace knowing we're not the Oilers or Flames. Besides, if Flames still have a loyal fan base with their 5 year plan looking like it does, then we should be able to support a team that won the Presidents Trophy just 2 years short years ago.

It's our responsibility to cheer on this team whether were first or last, and we certainly can't quit on them when they need us the most. In the words of the great Bob Cole "Relax everybody, Relax".

So in the light of all the doom and gloom on the board, I just wanted to spread a little ray of optimism, because better things are yet to come.

Well folks, its here, the day we're lumped in with the likes of Carolina and Winnipeg, Daniel hasn't scored in 2 and a half months, and has 1 point in 14 games, Burrows hasn't scored since the USSR became Russia, and our team has more holes than a fresh piece of Swiss. Is it a good thing? Obviously not, we all want our team to succeed, but is it a bad thing? Depends on your point of view.

Could this be the end of the era where we can look forward to good Canucks hockey? Or is it simply an anomaly, and instead its allowing us to retool on the fly (ala CHI, BOS). Despite your personal view of the clubs recent struggles, stay positive, because at the end of the day, we can all sleep in peace knowing we're not the Oilers or Flames. Besides, if Flames still have a loyal fan base with their 5 year plan looking like it does, then we should be able to support a team that won the Presidents Trophy just 2 years short years ago.

It's our responsibility to cheer on this team whether were first or last, and we certainly can't quit on them when they need us the most. In the words of the great Bob Cole "Relax everybody, Relax".

So in the light of all the doom and gloom on the board, I just wanted to spread a little ray of optimism, because better things are yet to come.

Given Gillis has stated that he will not ask players to waive their NTC's, then what you see is likely what you'll get for the next 3 years at least. We'll get a little younger on the third and fourth lines but otherwise the extent of MG's retool will be the usual tinkering at the fringes of the lineup.

Blind optimism is a dangerous form of denial.

Just trying to keep it real.

As a fan of the Canucks, I choose to be a realist.

This team had some key players injured, which has affected their ability to compete.

However the failure of those who are healthy and not performing in their absence, is not excusable.

Saying it's the responsibility of a fan base to give unwavering support to millionaires on autopilot is erroneous.

The blessing is that we will finally have a shake up of this old core. I so badly want to see this team have a youth revival, as so many successful teams have done. I think in this respect, Gillis has done a great job drafting, however he didn't prepare replacements for this year - as success was expected. However, a year of development and we will have many young guns at our disposal. Guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, Jensen, Grenier, and Tommernes will be anchors of this team. With immediate help coming from the likes of Archibald, Lain and Corrado. Add in a pair of Swedish goalies in Lack and Eriksson and we'll be stable for a while

We first need an exodus of our unproductive core, moving wasteful cap in Edler, Burrows, Booth, and arguably the twins. It takes a hungry team to play Tort's style, and our complacent core isn't going to do it.

By the way, watching the wolves game and Jensen has a hatrick tonight!

The blessing is that we will finally have a shake up of this old core. I so badly want to see this team have a youth revival, as so many successful teams have done. I think in this respect, Gillis has done a great job drafting, however he didn't prepare replacements for this year - as success was expected. However, a year of development and we will have many young guns at our disposal. Guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, Jensen, Grenier, and Tommernes will be anchors of this team. With immediate help coming from the likes of Archibald, Lain and Corrado. Add in a pair of Swedish goalies in Lack and Eriksson and we'll be stable for a while

We first need an exodus of our unproductive core, moving wasteful cap in Edler, Burrows, Booth, and arguably the twins. It takes a hungry team to play Tort's style, and our complacent core isn't going to do it.

By the way, watching the wolves game and Jensen has a hatrick tonight!

Great points. I agree with unproductive veterans needing to be moved. Totally.

I've been a Canuck fan since the late 60s and I even saw them play in the old Western League.

I will always be a Canuck fan regardless.

Gillis can only improve the team when the right deal is offered and it maybe awhile before much retooling happens.

Gillis is the leader of a management team and we need the stability he and his team provides.

Those who say the team should tank for high draft picks or trade players off for 2nd-3rd round draft choices are just plain daft.

I don't like losing either but I'll still be watching anyway and I feel the need to say 'suck it up whiners better days are ahead'.

I was born and raised in B.C. and have followed the Canucks every year since inception.

When you have watched the Canucks all these years it means you are a fan of the game because the team has ,well,sucked for so many years it became decades. Gillis had success for two years and now the last two years have sucked.

Hockey fans in the province of B.C. used to have no other choice but to watch the Canucks at the NHL level.This is not the 70's.

Sure,we are hopeful but blind homerism is an act of ignorance and gives management a pass when they do not succeed.

It is not a 'fan's responsibility to cheer on a losing team'. Enjoyment of anything does not include masochism,personally speaking.

Hockey is a major love of Canadians. It does not include begging or wishing or pleading.

This team has headed straight down hill as Gillis retooled after the SCF's.

A PP at the bottom of the league and a team mired in mediocrity has not cost Gillis his job.

He is hopeful that you will be hopeful. Vancouver fans are like any other Canadian hockey club's fans.

We hope for the best and know what it is we are subject to-whether we like it or not.

Time to cheer on Canada's team right now and if Gillis and Aqua cannot right their ship the Canucks faithful will begin enjoying being fans of other clubs.

Enjoyment of hockey is our right as hockey fans.We don't have to support inferior management ,coaching or individual efforts-ever.

Real Canucks fans understand the difference between the two.

It's not just winning and losing. It's also the enjoyment of how the game is played. I will always be a fan of the Nucks and I watch every game because I care. Having said that, their on-ice product is crap and has been for a long time. They have become an untalented bunch of grinding D-focused players that have forgotten what a goof, fast-paced offensive attack even looks like.

I am more emotionally involved in Nucks games but I enjoy watching hockey with numerous other teams that play the game in a far more entertaining way.

Given Gillis has stated that he will not ask players to waive their NTC's, then what you see is likely what you'll get for the next 3 years at least. We'll get a little younger on the third and fourth lines but otherwise the extent of MG's retool will be the usual tinkering at the fringes of the lineup.

Blind optimism is a dangerous form of denial.

Just trying to keep it real.

:picard:

Gillis didn't say that

You might want do a bit of research there buckaroo.

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/mike-gillis-on-henrik-hamhuis-and-no-trade-clauses/

He confirmed it on his Team 1040 radio interview the other day.

He never said that. He said the players haven't asked to waive, not that he won't...

Archived