The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Blessing In Disguise?

HowYaDrouin

He never said that. He said the players haven't asked to waive, not that he won't...

The Canucks GM says he doesn’t regret giving out so many NTC’s, he won’t ask players to waive them, but would listen if a player with a no-trade-clause asked to be traded.

- See more at: http://www.teamradio.ca/news/mike-gillis-on-henrik-hamhuis-and-no-trade-clauses/#sthash.Bs4c25IL.dpuf

This is a blessing in disguise cause for most of the current fans under AV, they were accustoming to winning and looking like a contender so they didn't enjoy it "winning was the new normal". Now that we have lost 7 straight the demand for a win from the fans is so high right now and I am pretty sure that they will feel more grateful for win now more than they are used to.

It's like the leafs missing the playoffs for nine straight years, when they finally made it last year their fans were acting like how we were when we made the finals cause they were so grateful for making it. And now when they are finally winning games the fans are enjoying it more than ever cause they have gone so long without being in a playoff spot they are truly grateful.

Winning only creates the desire for more when it occurs during the regular season but at this point the longer we lose the better it will be in that regard.

I was born and raised in B.C. and have followed the Canucks every year since inception.

When you have watched the Canucks all these years it means you are a fan of the game because the team has ,well,sucked for so many years it became decades. Gillis had success for two years and now the last two years have sucked.

Hockey fans in the province of B.C. used to have no other choice but to watch the Canucks at the NHL level.This is not the 70's.

Sure,we are hopeful but blind homerism is an act of ignorance and gives management a pass when they do not succeed.

It is not a 'fan's responsibility to cheer on a losing team'. Enjoyment of anything does not include masochism,personally speaking.

Hockey is a major love of Canadians. It does not include begging or wishing or pleading.

This team has headed straight down hill as Gillis retooled after the SCF's.

A PP at the bottom of the league and a team mired in mediocrity has not cost Gillis his job.

He is hopeful that you will be hopeful. Vancouver fans are like any other Canadian hockey club's fans.

We hope for the best and know what it is we are subject to-whether we like it or not.

Time to cheer on Canada's team right now and if Gillis and Aqua cannot right their ship the Canucks faithful will begin enjoying being fans of other clubs.

Enjoyment of hockey is our right as hockey fans.We don't have to support inferior management ,coaching or individual efforts-ever.

Real Canucks fans understand the difference between the two.

This is a veiled attempt to highlight yourself as a "real" Canuck fan as opposed to the newcomers, especially one who hasn't watched it "since its inception".

Just because you've watched that long doesn't necessarily make you a better fan. In fact, there are fans that have followed the team longer, yet they have cheered for their team in some special way that many of us haven't. Some have designed their own rooms with Canucks memorabilia or they have watched every single game. Perhaps they've even travelled to Canucks games.

I've seen your posts nuck nit. They're almost always negative. That's not to say that your negativity offsets the possibility that you might be a Canucks fan. But, this post is most certainly not going to be your comfort zone.

With this post, you are bragging about the time spent cheering for this team - yet your other posts show a much more lukewarm fan. You downplay the slightest successes of Canuck players consistently. While it is fine to be realistic, it's another when you show that you are rarely impressed with the team (which is a sentiment that is shown in almost all your posts related to the Canucks).

So don't come on here harping about how long you've been cheering for the team when you're one of the most recognizable names of posters that constantly nag on the team and its players.

I remember in 2004 when Matt Cooke scored that tying goal with 5 seconds left to send us to overtime against the flames. What a blessing that was! Only to have us lose and have the season ended a few minutes later.

That's what this 'blessing' feels like

So don't come on here harping about how long you've been cheering for the team when you're one of the most recognizable names of posters that constantly nag on the team and its players.

Dazzle,I get to be whatever kind of hockey and Canucks fan I choose to be so get it straight.Whether you like what I think

or other posters like it or not is not the issue.

I saw my first Canucks game live in 1971.

I cheered for this team when Gillis took over.I don't like what he has done in the last two years and I don't like the character of the present coach.The players all get my support,no matter their skill level,unless I perceive they are dogging it or not fit to take a position over a more suitable player.

I played the game.Some men that run clubs or coach clubs were good men.Some weren't.

I played the game clean.I appreciate skill instead of dirt -in management and players.

Players play.The owners own and the management gets paid to manage.It does not matter which club it is.NHL hockey is a business.Some players,management and clubs deserve my support and others don't.

You decide whatever you want to do for whatever reasons that suit you as a hockey fan and I will do the same.

It does not change a PP in 28th place and a team that has been free-falling for two years.

I don't have to display a constant desire and willingness to blindly cheer for a manager I don't appreciate or a or coach I don't like.

The players know. They play for each other and the game.They don't play for a franchise,owner or GM.They are hired out and fired out without a second's thought.

The love is the game,itself. The team can be any team.It does not matter.Listen to what Eddie Shore said and try to accept that fact.

I don't have to be what you perceive to be a " better fan" to figure out that I love the game,not the franchise,itself.

Dazzle,I get to be whatever kind of hockey and Canucks fan I choose to be so get it straight.Whether you like what I think

or other posters like it or not is not the issue.

I saw my first Canucks game live in 1971.

I cheered for this team when Gillis took over.I don't like what he has done in the last two years and I don't like the character of the present coach.The players all get my support,no matter their skill level,unless I perceive they are dogging it or not fit to take a position over a more suitable player.

I played the game.Some men that run clubs or coach clubs were good men.Some weren't.

I played the game clean.I appreciate skill instead of dirt -in management and players.

Players play.The owners own and the management gets paid to manage.It does not matter which club it is.NHL hockey is a business.Some players,management and clubs deserve my support and others don't.

You decide whatever you want to do for whatever reasons that suit you as a hockey fan and I will do the same.

It does not change a PP in 28th place and a team that has been free-falling for two years.

I don't have to display a constant desire and willingness to blindly cheer for a manager I don't appreciate or a or coach I don't like.

The players know. They play for each other and the game.They don't play for a franchise,owner or GM.They are hired out and fired out without a second's thought.

The love is the game,itself. The team can be any team.It does not matter.Listen to what Eddie Shore said and try to accept that fact.

I don't have to be what you perceive to be a " better fan" to figure out that I love the game,not the franchise,itself.

Nuck nit is on the money here. Too many self righteous Canucks fans seem to make it their goal to define what a fan has to be. Those are the twerps that incur hatred from other fan bases for their holier than thou attitude.

If you like the team, you're a fan. That's it.

People really need to learn what the concept of supporting the team really is...

having blind, unwavering, Cheerleader, happy go lucky support for ineffective/ declining/disinterested players who no longer put the required effort in, and are coaxing thru safe/ cushy long term contracts is not the only way to support the team

blindly supporting an incompetent player agent is not the only way to support a team.

being objective/realist and wanting drastic changes to improve the team long term does not make you any less of a supporter. Any objective person that detaches emotions can see this teams decline and need for change (probably starting with MG)

This is a veiled attempt to highlight yourself as a "real" Canuck fan as opposed to the newcomers, especially one who hasn't watched it "since its inception".

Just because you've watched that long doesn't necessarily make you a better fan. In fact, there are fans that have followed the team longer, yet they have cheered for their team in some special way that many of us haven't. Some have designed their own rooms with Canucks memorabilia or they have watched every single game. Perhaps they've even travelled to Canucks games.

I've seen your posts nuck nit. They're almost always negative. That's not to say that your negativity offsets the possibility that you might be a Canucks fan. But, this post is most certainly not going to be your comfort zone.

With this post, you are bragging about the time spent cheering for this team - yet your other posts show a much more lukewarm fan. You downplay the slightest successes of Canuck players consistently. While it is fine to be realistic, it's another when you show that you are rarely impressed with the team (which is a sentiment that is shown in almost all your posts related to the Canucks).

Dude why don't you just send a personal message to nuck nit saying you hate him instead of derailing this thread through personal attacks.

:lol: @ the people who think they win arguments through personal attacks.

As a fan of the Canucks, I choose to be a realist.

This team had some key players injured, which has affected their ability to compete.

However the failure of those who are healthy and not performing in their absence, is not excusable.

Saying it's the responsibility of a fan base to give unwavering support to millionaires on autopilot is erroneous.

And tell me what your alternative is? Not watch hockey- not going to happen and you know it. Cheer for Boston or Chicago? Not going to happen and you know it. The fan base has been in Canada is there for good, period, look at Edmonton, is there a worse basket case. Any empty seats?

People really need to learn what the concept of supporting the team really is...

having blind, unwavering, Cheerleader, happy go lucky support for ineffective/ declining/disinterested players who no longer put the required effort in, and are coaxing thru safe/ cushy long term contracts is not the only way to support the team

blindly supporting an incompetent player agent is not the only way to support a team.

being objective/realist and wanting drastic changes to improve the team long term does not make you any less of a supporter. Any objective person that detaches emotions can see this teams decline and need for change (probably starting with MG)

The team does need some changes, but firing the GM in the middle of the season is not a good move. Despite what most people seem to think, Gillis is a good GM. Yes, he has made some bad moves which stand out, but it seems like a lot of the great moves are just tossed aside. If we were to fire Gillis, who would you replace him with, and do you actually think that person would be better than him?

People want to fire Gillis because the team isn't doing well right now. That isn't being objective, it's just making rash decisions. Gillis took this team and made it a Stanley Cup contender. He's made some mistakes, but he's also made some great moves and got some great players. I think we just need to have some patience. You can't just make a phone call and trade a player right away. I would rather he take his time to make sure he's getting a good deal.

Also, being a fan means supporting your team even when they are down. You can be objective while doing it, but being negative all the time and bashing the players isn't supporting the team. You can want major changes, but there are bright spots on the team that should be recognized.

How many more of these posts do we need!?!?!

Ha, Ha; learn from the spirit bear in your siggy.

Things will melllooooowww, and you'll have more patience...

The blessing is that we will finally have a shake up of this old core. I so badly want to see this team have a youth revival, as so many successful teams have done. I think in this respect, Gillis has done a great job drafting, however he didn't prepare replacements for this year - as success was expected. However, a year of development and we will have many young guns at our disposal. Guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, Jensen, Grenier, and Tommernes will be anchors of this team. With immediate help coming from the likes of Archibald, Lain and Corrado. Add in a pair of Swedish goalies in Lack and Eriksson and we'll be stable for a while

We first need an exodus of our unproductive core, moving wasteful cap in Edler, Burrows, Booth, and arguably the twins. It takes a hungry team to play Tort's style, and our complacent core isn't going to do it.

By the way, watching the wolves game and Jensen has a hatrick tonight!

First, Tomerness? I know your a keen follower / guru almost of junior and the minors... But this player has not looked that good the few times I had a chance to watch?

Second; wholesale re-build? Even the Twins??

Detroit won a cup after Yzerman retired, but they still had Hasek, Chelios, Holmstrom, McCarty, Draper, Drake, Lidstrom... And Filppula, Samuelsson, Franzen, Kronwall, Helm and Hudler were all groomed well before the old guard left!

Full scale re-build, punting your stars, only works when you get Crosby, not RNH first overall...

Yes some restructuring of some secondary parts. Inject some youth with more dynamic skills than our role players.

A lot of guys might consider what they are really wishing for?

Dude why don't you just send a personal message to nuck nit saying you hate him instead of derailing this thread through personal attacks.

:lol: @ the people who think they win arguments through personal attacks.

There's no personal attacks on here. I just think it's hypocritical of him to talk about how long he's been a fan when he's one of the most obvious posters that show up in a thread and start badmouthing a player.

I didn't 'win' an argument because he wasn't even arguing with me. I was only making a point.

Archived