The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carolina fan assessing the Canucks "cliffjumpers" and issues

Staal2Staal

there are two trains of thought here....

1 to blow up the team and trade all the ntc players away...

2 to find the right complimentary players that will fit in with kesler or the sedins and a spark plug that will help this team get there game back.....

the two sides are like oil and water.....which ever side your on, you get frustrated listening to the other side...

i stayed away from this site for quite awhile and i became a much happier and saner person....

this has been going on for over 40 years....i've seen it all.....

every year the team does what they think is right....and we the fans criticize......and the world turns....40 years from now

the same thing will be going on....

There's actually a few sane folk around here who think there's a third alternative somewhere in the middle of those two extremes...

Hey what's up guys... Hurricanes fan here... been a fan of Vancouver for a while... Hope you guys make the playoffs this year.

Now I joined this forum solely to post on some of the threads that struck me by complete surprise. Vancouver has been a force for at least the past decade, and seeing you guys struggle for the first time in quite a while honestly, I've seen some of the most ridiculous threads made up here.

First, lets look at your team's issue: offense. From the threads I've seen on here from "pick up another winger" to "trade Sedin" (WTF), or "make Sedin a second line" are truly ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm going to give you guys an analogy. Do any of you guys watch basketball or football, or any other sport for that matter? What happens to receivers if they are missing Tom Brady, or what happens to the Heat if they lose LeBron James? They struggle hard.

Henrik Sedin, albeit soft, but is probably the best passing forward in the game right now. His game is beautiful to watch. He is the team captain (if I recall correctly) and really he is their offense. He sets up Kesler and Daniel on almost 3/4 of their scores... that's astounding.

A lot of people have been hating on his brother as well. Daniel is going through a slump (I don't know how long, but I think it's like 90 days), and is a bit more worrisome considering their age. But I am 95% sure that his slump is directly related to Henrik being out and here's why: he is still the leading scorer on their team. That means their offense in general is pretty much dead... which is directly related to Henrik being out. These guys cannot set up for themselves and are having trouble without their centerpiece in the game. If anything, this may show that Henrik could be in the running for MVP (not the numbers-wise this year yet, but more because look at how atrocious this offense has been without him).

Now, defense is clearly the weak point for your team the past few years.. but they actually haven't been terrible. I actually think they aren't playing too bad considering your offensive slump.. you can't expect them to hold good teams off forever.

So my point is this: the Sedin's are two of the best players in the decade.. and I think they are like one of 15 forwards to average a point a game since they've joined the league. They are once in a lifetime type players and honestly (being a Carolina fan and not following Vancouver) could be your best player(s) of all-time. They led you guys to a crazy Stanley Cup run. They are not the problems. You guys desperately need another piece to go on the second line (that can playmake) or another winger that can be substituted as another scoring weapon.

Good luck you guys. I see you guys finishing about 5-7.

we have this guy. his name is ban tsn. can you please talk some sense into him. he thinks the worlds coming to an end.

If you say so, I havent heard enough posters say that for it to be prevalent in my mind. Gillis, Edler and Booth have been getting the brunt of it all season if you ask me.

We need to accept that the Sedins are going to be next to impossible to move.

You must have been smarter than the rest of us and avoided reading their drivel then.

If he is puzzled, its for the wrong reasons.

and what maybe the wrong reason behind being puzzle about why canucks fans would want to chase two franchise players out of town?

There is nothing wrong about questioning wtf are vancouver fans so destructive and aggressive when it comes to our players. When other team has the tradition to honor and cheer for their franchise players until they retired, we have the tradition of chasing out any franchise players with pitch forks and shotguns if those players would slump for a season or 2.

it's like back to the dark age where people were uneducated and crazed, just... they shouldn't be nowaday..

i think we can all agree that we are all frustrated with the canuck's season.....we join the players, coaches and management

on this matter.....the disagreement is on how to fix it......

i would rather hear what the players, coaches and management feel is the answer to the problem.....after all they know more about hockey than all the rest of us put together.....i trust them

We've been spoiled with a pretty dominant team over the last decade, and lots of people, myself included, didn't live with the Canucks in the 90's or the 80's, where we (Van) were average or bad. I was born in 92 so I watched the 94 playoffs in some sense but never lived in the bad era of Vancouver's history. Probably why we see so many people hit the panic button when it comes to play right now.

Hey what's up guys... Hurricanes fan here... been a fan of Vancouver for a while... Hope you guys make the playoffs this year.

Now I joined this forum solely to post on some of the threads that struck me by complete surprise. Vancouver has been a force for at least the past decade, and seeing you guys struggle for the first time in quite a while honestly, I've seen some of the most ridiculous threads made up here.

First, lets look at your team's issue: offense. From the threads I've seen on here from "pick up another winger" to "trade Sedin" (WTF), or "make Sedin a second line" are truly ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm going to give you guys an analogy. Do any of you guys watch basketball or football, or any other sport for that matter? What happens to receivers if they are missing Tom Brady, or what happens to the Heat if they lose LeBron James? They struggle hard.

Henrik Sedin, albeit soft, but is probably the best passing forward in the game right now. His game is beautiful to watch. He is the team captain (if I recall correctly) and really he is their offense. He sets up Kesler and Daniel on almost 3/4 of their scores... that's astounding.

A lot of people have been hating on his brother as well. Daniel is going through a slump (I don't know how long, but I think it's like 90 days), and is a bit more worrisome considering their age. But I am 95% sure that his slump is directly related to Henrik being out and here's why: he is still the leading scorer on their team. That means their offense in general is pretty much dead... which is directly related to Henrik being out. These guys cannot set up for themselves and are having trouble without their centerpiece in the game. If anything, this may show that Henrik could be in the running for MVP (not the numbers-wise this year yet, but more because look at how atrocious this offense has been without him).

Now, defense is clearly the weak point for your team the past few years.. but they actually haven't been terrible. I actually think they aren't playing too bad considering your offensive slump.. you can't expect them to hold good teams off forever.

So my point is this: the Sedin's are two of the best players in the decade.. and I think they are like one of 15 forwards to average a point a game since they've joined the league. They are once in a lifetime type players and honestly (being a Carolina fan and not following Vancouver) could be your best player(s) of all-time. They led you guys to a crazy Stanley Cup run. They are not the problems. You guys desperately need another piece to go on the second line (that can playmake) or another winger that can be substituted as another scoring weapon.

You cannot compare losing Henrik Sedin to losing Tom Brady or any top tier quarterback in the NFL. If Tom Brady, Peyton Manning etc go down their teams go from being Superbowl favorites to non playoff teams.

The Defense is our weak point? The defense is solid the weak point is having way too many 3rd line players trying to play as top 6 forwards. The problems lie with Santorelli is out for the year, he was acting as that top 6 forward we desperately needed on that second line, then Henrik Sedin went down. So on a team that already was lacking top 6 players and scoring we've now be forced to try and win games 1-0 which this team just cannot do.

This isn't about being cliff jumpers or bandwagoners it's about the fact that this team is full of injuries and to risk giving up prospects to fill the holes injuries have caused to have a long shot at doing anything in the playoffs is just far to risky. Trade the players that are not core and in my mind the core is this Kesler, Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton and Kassian everyone else is available and should be traded at the deadline when their value is at its highest. Next year with the players, prospects and picks you get a long with FA the Canucks will be a far better team and have a far better chance at the cup. To me as a fan, and season tickets holder, for basically 20 years that makes the most sense.

I like how this outsider guy shows up and says what he thinks without watching nearly as much of the Canucks as the rest of us. YES, Daniel has been an absolute stud for most of his NHL career, but ever since his concussion from Duncan Keith's elbow, he just hasn't been the same. He might have been a force but now he isn't. We know this from all the games we have watched this season where he has just passed it away or missed wide.

Posts like this give me hope.

I hope to see alot more content from you, this is a great analysis of our team!

Thanks!

Nice to hear what a fan of another team really thinks. As far as finishing 5-7, I highly doubt that finishing 5th is even possible, but I appreciate the generosity.

You're right about Hank being the center piece of this team, he truly is the one guy that holds this team together, and since he got injured, we looked lost. Daniel and Burrows look even more lost, and it's not helping.

Very thankful for this Olympic break is all I can say at this point.

Yes I've finally arrived at this thread(as I'm sure many have awaited), & I've come here to solemnly pronounce a DECREE, to which all posters will be strictly implored to adhere...

-THOU SHALT NOT COMPARETH our roster manoeuvrings with OTHER useless, trivial sporting-pursuits(particularly the "big-three"; insufferable, time-wasting activities,'of that sort, nature', or Nascar, lawn-darts, etc...)

This WILL be strictly enforced, with pending human-pinatas, & other soul-disintegrating consequences...

Perhaps NOONE here agrees..? I don't really give a hoot! As I haven't watched any of them OTHER sports for TWO DECADES, +(& believe me, it's been time-gained-appreciation)...

FerGawdsakesNelly!? Please take talk of Lebrawn, JOEQB, or whomeverthefrack on their appropriate sport/hobby-websites!!!

It's US-colonial, cultural-pollution, with severe mind-numbing consequences!

Oh yah, HAVE A NICE DAY! :^)

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Means a lot.

I see I'm getting put under a bit of scrutiny for my analogy of Henrik to a NFL QB. To me, it's a perfect analogy. Henrik controls the puck and really gets at least a pass per possession. It's not hard to see that he is the leader and without a doubt the best distributor on the team.

One guy brought up specifically Brady going out with an ACL tear and them still going 11-5. What they forget to leave out was that team was 18-1, with possibly the most stacked team in history the year before, to go only 11-5 the following year after losing Brady. Point is, the team captain matters.

A seven game losing streak is just that - a losing streak. Cliff divers will more than likely straighten up once they bounce back. Teams don't simply go "bad" over an offseason or a couple months. They will get better.

As an addendum to the above, sorry forgot to add...

IF one would like to compare with a speedboat, Titanic, or life-raft..well, that's fine by me. Similarly, drawing parallels with flower gardening, sweater-knitting, building a house, or a fine game of chess is ALSO highly encouraged. Analogies & metaphors should be flogged like a carpet at the Istanbul Bazaar!

Far as I'm concerned, the Yank mgt has DESTROYED what was once a league of integrity. Don't give a BEAVER'S DAMM about their insights(even if it's Nobel-worthy), & it's similarity to ANY of their pastimes!

If I had my way, NHL HQ's would be in some nondescript, prairie town; & the White House would be dismantled & set up in Vegas.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Means a lot.

I see I'm getting put under a bit of scrutiny for my analogy of Henrik to a NFL QB. To me, it's a perfect analogy. Henrik controls the puck and really gets at least a pass per possession. It's not hard to see that he is the leader and without a doubt the best distributor on the team.

One guy brought up specifically Brady going out with an ACL tear and them still going 11-5. What they forget to leave out was that team was 18-1, with possibly the most stacked team in history the year before, to go only 11-5 the following year after losing Brady. Point is, the team captain matters.

A seven game losing streak is just that - a losing streak. Cliff divers will more than likely straighten up once they bounce back. Teams don't simply go "bad" over an offseason or a couple months. They will get better.

It's not a bad analogy but the QB is far more important than any one player in hockey.

Most Canucks fans here don't know what its like to watch a losing team.

Truth.

Most fans here didn't have to sit through the crap days in the late 90's and go through the days of watching the Canucks play the trap.

I suppose not winning a cup in over 40 years will do that to a fanbase. Some of the worst ???? fans post their horrible crap in here, I agree. It's pathetic and disgusting, sometimes.

As an addendum to the above, sorry forgot to add...

IF one would like to compare with a speedboat, Titanic, or life-raft..well, that's fine by me. Similarly, drawing parallels with flower gardening, sweater-knitting, building a house, or a fine game of chess is ALSO highly encouraged. Analogies & metaphors should be flogged like a carpet at the Istanbul Bazaar!

Far as I'm concerned, the Yank mgt has DESTROYED what was once a league of integrity. Don't give a BEAVER'S DAMM about their insights(even if it's Nobel-worthy), & it's similarity to ANY of their pastimes!

If I had my way, NHL HQ's would be in some nondescript, prairie town; & the White House would be dismantled & set up in Vegas.

Owner's greed is ruining hockey. The decision to expand to non-hockey markets was driven by the desire for expansion money not for the good of the game. As soon as they turned it into an entertainment business for the uninitiated, it was doomed to become a managed event.

Archived