[Proposal] Realistic Retool: 2 trades and one UFA signing

bigpush

Edler

Hansen

for

Zack Smith

Colin Greening

2nd round pick 2014

Ottawas gains a young top pairing partner for Karlsson signed to a good contract and a 2nd/3rd line tweener on a good contract. Ottawa takes on some salary but gets the best player in the deal and two cap friendly contracts.

Vancouver gains a young 3rd line Centre with size on a good contract, a 3rd liner with size on a questionable contract and a pick. Vancouver gets youth, size and replaces the 2nd that was traded for Roy.

Schroeder

3rd round pick 2014

for

Ryan Elllis

Nashville has a very young D-core with lots of upside. Josi, Jones, Del Zotto, Bartley and Ekholm are all 23 and younger. They have some decent young forwards and some good offensive prospects but are likely still a few years from making it back to the playoffs. They get an offensive prospect and an additional pick.

Vancouver gets a young right handed pp QB.

Buyout Booth

Resign Kassian 3mil over 2 years

Resign Tanev to 7.5mil over 3 years

Resign Ellis 3mil over 2 years

9.988 million remaining to sign a UFA like Vanek, Gaborik, Moulson, Stastny, Callahan etc.

These salaries could be different but the point is a significant amount of cap space.

Ideal 2015 line up that could roll 4

Sedin Sedin Callahan

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Greening Smith Richardson (Awesome 4th line)

Sestito

Hamhuis Tanev (Shutdown and PK)

Stanton Bieksa (Dependble and mean)

Garrison Ellis (Easy minutes and PP)

Corrado

The trades are okay, I think Nashville laughs though. The thing I would change is Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian. You have two snipers and a power forward, who is going to set them up? You need a playmaker on Kesler's wing.

Shinkaruk-Hank-Callahan

Dank-Kesler-Kassian

Gives you sniper-playmaker-power forward (ish), then playmaker-sniper-power forward (in the making)

That has great balance.

The trades are okay, I think Nashville laughs though. The thing I would change is Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian. You have two snipers and a power forward, who is going to set them up? You need a playmaker on Kesler's wing.

Shinkaruk-Hank-Callahan

Dank-Kesler-Kassian

Gives you sniper-playmaker-power forward (ish), then playmaker-sniper-power forward (in the making)

That has great balance.

I think you are underestimating Kesler and Kassian. Kesler has broken 50 assists before when given solid linemates and Kassian has the 2nd best passes on the team imo (Obviously behind Henrik)

Don't like that Ottawa trade.

We don't need more 3rd liners. That's why we're in this predicament in the first place.

Besides, if Bo makes the team next year, that 3rd line centre spot will be his.

The reality is that top 6 forwards are very difficult to acquire, vancouver needs to develop some skill players and put themselves in a position to acquire a legit top 6 scorer. Those third liners have both scored close to 20 in seasons past and also play a stiffer style of hockey, something the Canucks also lack. I do have Bo slotted in as the 3rd C but could also see the Canucks only having one of him and hunter playing next year.

Shinkaruk-Hank-Callahan

Dank-Kesler-Kassian

That has great balance.

Why does Nas laugh? Do you think I've undervalued Ellis ? I just think he has slipped down their depth chart and is no longer as highly regarded as when he was drafted. Same with Schroeder but I think Schroeder has a more complete game at this point and a third sweetens the pot.

I think you are underestimating Kesler and Kassian. Kesler has broken 50 assists before when given solid linemates and Kassian has the 2nd best passes on the team imo (Obviously behind Henrik)

The only season Kesler has had more than 35 assists was that one, when he was a young, hard-hitting, impact player charging around the place with the exuberance of youth. He's aged since then, suffered injuries galore, and has changed his game.

Not to mention, his linemates that season were mainly Samuelsson (30 goals) and MayRay (25 goals). Having Shinkaruk+Kassian on Kesler's line puts huge pressure on Kes to be the brains and the playmaker, and I don't think he's capable of doing that. You want your best players doing what they do best - Hank dishing out passes, Kesler finishing them. Don't waste one of our best offensive assets just to fit a rookie in on the second line.

Why does Nas laugh? Do you think I've undervalued Ellis ? I just think he has slipped down their depth chart and is no longer as highly regarded as when he was drafted. Same with Schroeder but I think Schroeder has a more complete game at this point and a third sweetens the pot.

Ellis would garner more in a trade than a 3LC with potential 2LC on the PP + a 50/50 at best 3rd round pick. Nashville could easily grab themselves a 2nd + prospect / third liner for him. Hansen + a 2nd would probably be their expected return.

The reality is that top 6 forwards are very difficult to acquire, vancouver needs to develop some skill players and put themselves in a position to acquire a legit top 6 scorer. Those third liners have both scored close to 20 in seasons past and also play a stiffer style of hockey, something the Canucks also lack. I do have Bo slotted in as the 3rd C but could also see the Canucks only having one of him and hunter playing next year.

I don't disagree that true top 6 players are not easy to find. But if we're trading Edler, then we better be getting back a heck of a lot more than a couple of journeymen third liners.

Edler is one our few valuable trade assets and Gillis needs to turn him into a top prospect or high draft pick either be trading him alone or as part of a package.

Edler

Hansen

for

Zack Smith

Colin Greening

2nd round pick 2014

Ottawas gains a young top pairing partner for Karlsson signed to a good contract and a 2nd/3rd line tweener on a good contract. Ottawa takes on some salary but gets the best player in the deal and two cap friendly contracts.

Vancouver gains a young 3rd line Centre with size on a good contract, a 3rd liner with size on a questionable contract and a pick. Vancouver gets youth, size and replaces the 2nd that was traded for Roy.

Schroeder

3rd round pick 2014

for

Ryan Elllis

Nashville has a very young D-core with lots of upside. Josi, Jones, Del Zotto, Bartley and Ekholm are all 23 and younger. They have some decent young forwards and some good offensive prospects but are likely still a few years from making it back to the playoffs. They get an offensive prospect and an additional pick.

Buyout Booth

9.988 million remaining to sign a UFA like Vanek, Gaborik, Moulson, Stastny, Callahan etc.

These salaries could be different but the point is a significant amount of cap space.

Sedin Sedin Callahan

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Sestito

Corrado

That Ottawa trade is just brutal. I rather trade Edler to Detroit and try to get my hands on one of Mantha, Nyquist or Tatar.

and young, offensive D-men that can play first pairing on some teams are easy to acquire?

Defensemen always have premium value compared to a top 6 forward while 3rd liners are a dime a dozen. Those third liners are just redundant players that we already have like Santorelli, Higgins, Hansen, Booth etc. If you want to improve the team, you have to get some type of impact forward or a young prospect with a really high ceiling ie. Mantha, Teravainan etc.

Edler

Hansen

for

Zack Smith

Colin Greening

2nd round pick 2014

Schroeder

3rd round pick 2014

for

Ryan Elllis

Buyout Booth

Sedin Sedin Callahan

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Sestito

Corrado

So the players we get for trading Edler will be playing on the 4th line? Awesome indeed.

Ellis would garner more in a trade than a 3LC with potential 2LC on the PP + a 50/50 at best 3rd round pick. Nashville could easily grab themselves a 2nd + prospect / third liner for him. Hansen + a 2nd would probably be their expected return.

Ellis is 7th in avg ice time for Nashville and is undersized, I think he could help our team with our pp but he is easily replaced on that team with Weber, Josi, Jones, Del Zotto, Bartley and Ekholm there already. I imagine Nas only keeps one of Del Zotto or Ellis both RFA. Ellis seems like the odd one out IMO because of his size and what the preds gave up to aquire. I think people here are are overhyping him because of his WJ and draft position.

Ellis is 7th in avg ice time for Nashville and is undersized, I think he could help our team with our pp but he is easily replaced on that team with Weber, Josi, Jones, Del Zotto, Bartley and Ekholm there already. I imagine Nas only keeps one of Del Zotto or Ellis both RFA. Ellis seems like the odd one out IMO because of his size and what the preds gave up to aquire. I think people here are are overhyping him because of his WJ and draft position.

I'm not overhyping Ellis. He has the potential to be a top 4 D in the NHL still. There are plenty of teams out there who would love to get their hands on him - I think Carolina would be perfect - and so giving Nashville a 3rd round pick + Jordan Schroeder, a nice guy but one who will never get you 40pts, doesn't give them value for their asset.

Archived