The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

would you watch a NHL champ vs. KHL champ series?

Not sure if this was brought up in the past but would you watch for example a stanley cup champion team play a series with the KHL's gagarin cup champ?

I think this would make things interesting, so far in the past an NHL team has played a KHL team 3 times and won 2 of those games...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_KHL_vs_NHL_games

fyi... this is the KHL's version of the stanley cup...

Gagarin-Cup.jpg

If they split the games up well and played them in a similar fashion to the 72 summit series it'd definitely be really cool. I'd think it'd be hard to convince the whole team from either league to be interested though. A lot of those guys are in rough shape when the playoffs end and just want to celebrate in peace. A gimmick series would be a lot to ask of them.

No way it happens, or should happen.

82 games + 4 playoff series. Half your roster plays through it injured, many guys may need surgery or time off (ex. Canucks)

That is more than enough hockey for those guys, they need the summer off for all that.

what it it took place in lieu of the preseason the next season?

what it it took place in lieu of the preseason the next season?

Pre season = crappy hockey

And pre season is to give your prospects a shot, to see if they are good enough to crack a roster spot. Veterans usually dont play that much, couple of games each.

Again risks injuries to the NHL players, and injuries to the Stanley Cup winning team? = lost revenue for the NHL.

Plus who says it'll be the same Cup winning team of either the KHL or NHL? And also the KHL season starts a month before the NHL's.

82 games + 4 playoff series. Half your roster plays through it injured, many guys may need surgery or time off (ex. Canucks)

That is more than enough hockey for those guys, they need the summer off for all that.

I think they should do it at least once to see the talent gap and go from there. If it's close or better than us I guess you keep it going but if it's not even close just forget it.

Pre season = crappy hockey

And pre season is to give your prospects a shot, to see if they are good enough to crack a roster spot. Veterans usually dont play that much, couple of games each.

Again risks injuries to the NHL players, and injuries to the Stanley Cup winning team? = lost revenue for the NHL.

Plus who says it'll be the same Cup winning team of either the KHL or NHL? And also the KHL season starts a month before the NHL's.

this guy is a downer..............sign me up, I'd love to see it. I say the NHL wins 9 out of 10 times but I'd still love to see it

Yes, after leaving every scap on the ice to win the cup, it's pretty unlikely that another round of hockey is in the cards (and if it were it would be with half the roster and doubtful they would be very engaged).

Archived