The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The AHL option? (Letting AHL guys run with it)

TrevorLinden4ever

The thinking here to to just call up guys from the AHL and give them a chance to run with it and stick in the bigs. This could exploit chances to win games and challenge our current roster to produce more and affect the outcome of games as opposed to allowing our set roster to float around and lose games. Also, bare in mind that perhaps AHL guys might mend their games more to what the coaching staff asks of them. Unlike Vigneult, coaches like Torts and Sullivan wont sit quitely by when winning results are not accomplished, at least thats what the situatoin appears to be based on their rhetoric with the media.

Chance to run with what? Are you going to make them your top line? Are you sending core players down to the minors to make room for AHL players?

Bieksa and Edler could be buried in the AHL and they wouldn't stand out :P

I'm totally kidding.

If you haven't noticed, our AHL guys are having enough trouble against other AHL teams.

Pelletier, Jensen, Corrado, Ferriero, and Sauve could probably fill a couple gaps if we sell at the deadline. Just don't expect it to be an improvement.

The thinking here to to just call up guys from the AHL and give them a chance to run with it and stick in the bigs. This could exploit chances to win games and challenge our current roster to produce more and affect the outcome of games as opposed to allowing our set roster to float around and lose games. Also, bare in mind that perhaps AHL guys might mend their games more to what the coaching staff asks of them. Unlike Vigneult, coaches like Torts and Sullivan wont sit quitely by when winning results are not accomplished, at least thats what the situatoin appears to be based on their rhetoric with the media.

You AV haters are clueless about hockey. The only season even remotely as bad under AV was 2007/08, but at least at that time it felt more like a fluke than a serious decline, and the following years proved.

Oh, Torts won't sit idly by, eh? Let me know when that starts winning us games. Let me know when we come even close to the success we had under AV.

Oh, Torts won a Cup a DECADE ago with a different team? You're right, all his years of failure since then still miraculously make him a better coach than the most successful Bench Boss (for our franchise) we had previously.

The mental gymnastics of AV's detractors are astounding, completely defying the actual results because of an emotional appeal that makes them prefer an angry coach over a good coach.

And the AHL idea is just as much drivel. We're not sinking because of "floaters", we're struggling because of injuries, a tougher division, a wonky Olympic-year schedule, and a cap decrease that hamstrung our GM.

So please, stop being so emotionally unhealthy about this team. Take a breath, and try to look at things logically.

We have no ability to move players around and our GM refuses to upgrade so ... while we might as well it ain't gonna happen.

Bieksa and Edler could be buried in the AHL and they wouldn't stand out :P

I'm totally kidding.

Ohhhh but they would stand out. I'd pay a couple hun to see that. <_<

You AV haters are clueless about hockey. The only season even remotely as bad under AV was 2007/08, but at least at that time it felt more like a fluke than a serious decline, and the following years proved.

Oh, Torts won't sit idly by, eh? Let me know when that starts winning us games. Let me know when we come even close to the success we had under AV.

Oh, Torts won a Cup a DECADE ago with a different team? You're right, all his years of failure since then still miraculously make him a better coach than the most successful Bench Boss (for our franchise) we had previously.

The mental gymnastics of AV's detractors are astounding, completely defying the actual results because of an emotional appeal that makes them prefer an angry coach over a good coach.

And the AHL idea is just as much drivel. We're not sinking because of "floaters", we're struggling because of injuries, a tougher division, a wonky Olympic-year schedule, and a cap decrease that hamstrung our GM.

So please, stop being so emotionally unhealthy about this team. Take a breath, and try to look at things logically.

Torts can't really do anything. It isn't his fault our stars are slumping horribly and that were hit hard by injuries, harder than anyone ever could expected. Suspension? yeah that's on him, but this has just been an overall unlucky season.

With AV sure we won games but we were never a playoff team mentally after the Finals, we were far from it. We were not going anywhere in the playoffs with AV after the Finals. PLUS, AV HAD A WHOLE LOT BETTER CANUCKS TEAM THAN TORTS, that is a solid fact.

When we were healthy in December we beat Boston and Chicago both at the end of a back to back and also had an incredible month on top of that. Torts got our tired team mentally prepared for BOS and CHI and we beat them. Torts has the capability of getting our team mentally prepared for the playoffs, something AV hasn't been able to do since the Finals

When healthy we are an average team, so imagine an average team with key players injured?. Gillis will probably make a rebuilding move if he makes another one at all this year. Like you said the cap is preventing really the majority of the league from make major moves.

Like you said Injuries have been a main cause of our problems, thanks Hanzal. Slumping stars have been another major concern you never addressed, Danny, Edler, Burrows, Kesler.

Any problems with Torts are nothing compared to some of our other problems.

^ Yeah you're absolutely right, this team appears to be winding down by all popular measure. You can't fault a guy that doesn't have the pieces. While Torts isn't getting the results AV would have had a hard time holding it together this year. He also showed that by playing Ebbett all year. You can only work with what you're given.

While AV might get more out of them in the short term Torts cares more about the team than his image.

A sudden youth-movement would indicate an interest in attaining a higher draft choice. It would include dealing some established vets.

In this particular yr, given the competition, & our relative avg age/performance, etc..., it's worth debating and considering.

Also the OP suggested we "bare in mind...". I think this is physically impossible; or would be excrutiatingly painful..Now, bare can also be defined as "devoid, empty, or unadorned", which also I believe is almost unimaginable to force onto/upon one's own mind...

It's all barely worth mentioning, I'll concede. I do however believe Torts tried to bear the burden, by baring his soul, & encouraging the team to bear down. Without him, they've apparently lost their bearings.

Torts can't really do anything. It isn't his fault our stars are slumping horribly and that were hit hard by injuries, harder than anyone ever could expected. Suspension? yeah that's on him, but this has just been an overall unlucky season.

With AV sure we won games but we were never a playoff team mentally after the Finals, we were far from it. We were not going anywhere in the playoffs with AV after the Finals. PLUS, AV HAD A WHOLE LOT BETTER CANUCKS TEAM THAN TORTS, that is a solid fact.

When we were healthy in December we beat Boston and Chicago both at the end of a back to back and also had an incredible month on top of that. Torts got our tired team mentally prepared for BOS and CHI and we beat them. Torts has the capability of getting our team mentally prepared for the playoffs, something AV hasn't been able to do since the Finals

When healthy we are an average team, so imagine an average team with key players injured?. Gillis will probably make a rebuilding move if he makes another one at all this year. Like you said the cap is preventing really the majority of the league from make major moves.

Like you said Injuries have been a main cause of our problems, thanks Hanzal. Slumping stars have been another major concern you never addressed, Danny, Edler, Burrows, Kesler.

Any problems with Torts are nothing compared to some of our other problems.

I completely understand how my post came across, but in all honesty it was not my intention to slam Tortorella. I'm not sold on him, that much is true, but the team definitely has bigger issues than coaching. If he can bring some passion while keeping his temper in check, that would be great. And if he could stop over-playing out top players, I think that would help as well. It's mostly the attitude towards AV, and the complete dismissal of all he accomplished, that bothers me. Change is fine, necessary even, so I'm not going to begrudge Gillis or Aquilini for making that call, but newer isn't always better, either. Time will tell, but the one thing I am certain about is that AV did some great things for this franchise. I hope someday we can say the same about Torts.

Chance to run with what? Are you going to make them your top line? Are you sending core players down to the minors to make room for AHL players?

To run with the idea of keeping their playing time by contributing and playing their BUTTS OFF. Where the heck has accountability gone? Why do we have a culture of entitlement? It would work better if each night roster minutes were freaking earned. Maybe Burrows stuck around because he played his ass off?

I'll take it one further and say that AV was one reason we didn't win the cup in '11. And unlike AV, at least Torts doesn't marinate the opposing team with compliments when asked to by the media. Sheesh!

Patience, we just got our own farm team. This team is actually headed in a good direction. We can't just bring up all the AHL guys and send down the others. We would lose then to waivers.

AV and Torts are both good coaches, AV's time had just come to an end here. It happens coaches and players move on.

While I'm not happy that Gillis hasn't been able to get top 6 wingers for Kesler, he is doing things to make this a better organization for the future. Our drafting has gotten miles better, and now we have a farm team to develop the youth I can see this team being right back as favorites in 5 years time

Patience, we just got our own farm team. This team is actually headed in a good direction. We can't just bring up all the AHL guys and send down the others. We would lose then to waivers.

AV and Torts are both good coaches, AV's time had just come to an end here. It happens coaches and players move on.

While I'm not happy that Gillis hasn't been able to get top 6 wingers for Kesler, he is doing things to make this a better organization for the future. Our drafting has gotten miles better, and now we have a farm team to develop the youth I can see this team being right back as favorites in 5 years time

Top 6 forwards? Yeah, lets get another overpriced guy like Booth. All I'm saying is if one strategy doesn't work, utilize a different strategy. Not to go totally out in left field here but a guy like Dallas Eakins was very capable of playing in this league but Roger Nielson shot him down in the worst way possible. Yet here was a competetive guy with a steady game and leadership who was a totally commited pro. If anything, lets get a veteran guy or a younger AHL seasoned player with speakable numbers trying to bust his way to the NHL, not a deadbeat high salary.

Is this cause you want the Canucks to tank ?

Well we saw them tank the last two seasons in the first round, all I'm saying is get hungrier guys challenging for playing time. Look at the Dallas Stars and LA Kings.

Is this cause you want the Canucks to tank ?

The OP just recognises the formidable powerhouse teams of Dallas,Pheonix,Nashville and Winnipeg.

The Canucks are one win above .500 heading into March.

i am pretty sure they have done the tank job pretty good,already.

Utica players are having enough trouble as it is in their own league. I don't see how we can have the AHL guys "run with it" and have any success doing so. They've only started to heat up a bit as of recent.

I mean, Utica just made it's place in the AHL so it might take awhile for them to gain some ground and produce better results. We should let the guns stick to where they are and gel. You could always call up a guy like Jensen who's on fire as of late but that takes away a lot of what's made the Comets successful in the past weeks.

I think either the boys on the Canucks need to find a way to start scoring again, or they just aren't the players they used to be. They might just need a change of scenery also.

The team needs some legit players, not the bunch of a grinders that are present on it today. If we can get some skillful youth into the lineup like say Horvat then maybe things might click. Or a real scoring presence.

The OP just recognises the formidable powerhouse teams of Dallas,Pheonix,Nashville and Winnipeg.

The Canucks are one win above .500 heading into March.

i am pretty sure they have done the tank job pretty good,already.

Blatant over exaggeration, if you think they are in Buffalo/Edmonton company you clearly don't know much. We don't have any guys worth playing which is why we are struggling with those AHL guys in the lineup right now anyway. And I am starting to think you are a troll or just don't know much about hockey, Canucks are ahead of those powerhouse Jets...

Archived