The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Minister

You do say you want him at #6. Back in March.

Remember march? A good long time before we had any idea where we would be drafting. If you want to take credit for that, then by all means.

You have never stated the Canucks would draft him once we knew where we were drafting. You still hedge around Nylander but never actually put your foot down on it.

In fact, when you finally do, you 'want Nylander long term' but your prediction is Nick Ritchie.

Mine is Ehlers. Yours was Ritchie.

I have also stated repeatedly that I thought Nylander was the best talent blah blah . The difference between us is that I dont BRAG about it later on like I knew it all along.

You didnt. You picked Ritchie. You made the double talk. Live with it.

I'm more concerned about this offense just not being there. He had a good U18 in totality, but he lit up the weaker teams and didn't put up anything against the stronger ones. And the SHL stats aren't there to say he's superb offensively. In Allsvenskan he put up numbers, but the level of competition isn't as strong.

He looks to be a long-term project, really. Even in terms of pure offense. Then you have to take into account the reports of his defense being a relative non-factor. Then you have his dad's obvious involvement in his career.

Is there something i'm missing that makes him this offensive dynamo worth taking this risk on? Or is it based only on mythical potential?

Maybe you missed just about every scouting report saying his skill is off the charts haha. The knock on him was size and strength but he seems to be on the right track with the strength factor.

I dunno I still want Ritchie but I'm not disregarding every scout saying nylander's got more skill than anyone in the draft. If it wasn't there he wouldn't even be talked about at all.

Are people really being swayed by the combine?

Why? Interviews?

MacKinnon could have spit in the faces of the all the Avs brass and they still would have selected him.

Pull-ups?

Kindof irrelevant isn't it? The results of all physical tests now are meaningless when compared to when their expected post-development physicality.

I laughed hard when the 'Bennett zero pulluppps!' story blew up.

To me the NHL combine has always been a dog and pony show and it's quite clear why teams in recent seasons have ran their own 'real' combines.

Anyone know if the Canucks were one of these teams? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking certain blessed and privileged teams down south get those.

you know who else did poorly at the combine? yakupov. look where he is now. as others have stated its not the physical aspect of not being able to do one pull-up, its the fact that he obviously wasn't prepared/ committed to the combine. it could speek alot about his work ethic or lack there of.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=80653

here's yakupovs combine.

I love the vote totals. Seems like we were in two camps. The Ritchie Virtanen camp or the Ehlers Nylander camp.

Ehlers votes are going down and Nylanders are going up. :lol:

I was in the Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie third camp.

Speaking for Ritchie, its odd that nobody has even said he was interview by the Nux. With the poor performance at the combine I cant see him in play anymore anyways.

I still stick by my guns that he is a better prospect than Virtanen is. I cant believe Jake goes before Nick.

I love the vote totals. Seems like we were in two camps. The Ritchie Virtanen camp or the Ehlers Nylander camp.

Speaking for Ritchie, its odd that nobody has even said he was interview by the Nux. With the poor performance at the combine I cant see him in play anymore anyways.

I still stick by my guns that he is a better prospect than Virtanen is. I cant believe Jake goes before Nick.

Nope. I'm pretty much the opposite of you. I say Virtanen's our guy but if not then Nylander/Ehlers....something about Ritchie I haven't liked from the start.

Can't put my finger on it though....

I'm really stoked on Draisaitl but it's looking less and less likely he'd fall to us (which seemed possible a couple months ago.

Obviously I'd also take MDC if he's still available too.

Minister

You do say you want him at #6. Back in March.

Remember march? A good long time before we had any idea where we would be drafting. If you want to take credit for that, then by all means.

You have never stated the Canucks would draft him once we knew where we were drafting. You still hedge around Nylander but never actually put your foot down on it.

In fact, when you finally do, you 'want Nylander long term' but your prediction is Nick Ritchie.

Mine is Ehlers. Yours was Ritchie.

I have also stated repeatedly that I thought Nylander was the best talent blah blah . The difference between us is that I dont BRAG about it later on like I knew it all along.

You didnt. You picked Ritchie. You made the double talk. Live with it.

No, it is you who talks himself in circles. None of what you just wrote is in any way accurate.

I say clearly that I think Nylander is the best pick. He is the player I have always said was the best bet to be a top end producer of the remaining players. No way you try and spin that can say otherwise.

Where the Canucks draft is irrelevant to the fact that I have not changed my opinion once or been unclear about what I prefer vs what I anticipate to happen. There is no hedging.... that is a clear statement. Who I anticipate to go where and what I would do are often two different things. I am very clear about the difference in my posts.

If your ability to comprehend what is written is lacking then that's on you.

You have a belief that you extol about yourself.... you only talk hockey, you don't put down prospects, you don't attack other users. All are demonstrably incorrect. You are by far one of the biggest culprits of these things even only by taking your responses to my posts and leaving all others aside. Your posts towards me are in direct violation of the 1st Board Rule. Please stop slighting my character. I have proven all of your claims about my MO as inaccurate in a single post above.

I've allowed some leeway in your slights of me to this point and have never reciprocated on kind. I have talked hockey, expressed my opinion and have never slagged a prospect.

It's funny. I actually didn't feel like Ritchie did poorly at all. I certainly didn't expect any top-10 results out of him other than the ones he got (leg power average: #3 and leg peak power: #9). Some of the tests are largely skewed in favour of lighter, more wiry players (as the data is divided by the player's weight). And no one expected Ritchie, with his body type, to excel in upper body strength tests like the bench press or especially the pull ups (where his weight plays against him bigtime). Same goes for the jumping tests, hand-eye, and agility measures. They just don't favour most of the bigger men (unless they are freaks or total gym rats).

Ritchie did fine in demonstrating the raw power and strength in his legs.

And he proved much more than any of his test results by taking off his shirt and revealing a physique and waist line that was considerably more toned and defined than most scouts had been expecting to see.

He also revealed that he's been working hard on his diet, and he has the results to show it.

There's actually a lot of upside there since it's clear that he can still get stronger and more conditioned. He's already huge and a beast physically but he can add strength and more mass, espeically to his upper body, that will make him even more imposing.

The good thing is he's shown that he wants to improve physically and he's already doing the things that will get him moving in the right direction--and he still has a lot of room for improvement. Some of the guys that test the best are actually guys that have little room to actually get stronger or better conditioned.

If anything, I'm actually higher on Ritchie now than I was before the Combine. I had serious reservations previously but now I'd be quite fine with taking him at #6 overall. I just hope, if we do take Ritchie (or another "big guy"), we can somehow acquire a later 1st round pick and take a "little guy" with skill, speed, and scoring (I personally like Fabbri quite a bit).

No, it is you who talks himself in circles. None of what you just wrote is in any way accurate.

I say clearly that I think Nylander is the best pick. He is the player I have always said was the best bet to be a top end producer of the remaining players. No way you try and spin that can say otherwise.

Where the Canucks draft is irrelevant to the fact that I have not changed my opinion once or been unclear about what I prefer vs what I anticipate to happen. There is no hedging.... that is a clear statement. Who I anticipate to go where and what I would do are often two different things. I am very clear about the difference in my posts.

If your ability to comprehend what is written is lacking then that's on you.

You have a belief that you extol about yourself.... you only talk hockey, you don't put down prospects, you don't attack other users. All are demonstrably incorrect. You are by far one of the biggest culprits of these things even only by taking your responses to my posts and leaving all others aside. Your posts towards me are in direct violation of the 1st Board Rule. Please stop slighting my character. I have proven all of your claims about my MO as inaccurate in a single post above.

I've allowed some leeway in your slights of me to this point and have never reciprocated on kind. I have talked hockey, expressed my opinion and have never slagged a prospect.

You don't need to prove that you prefered Nylander. I'm pretty sure most people on this board have seen that you'd pick him. It's pointless to argue with someone like absent. Just because we didn't hype Nylander up as if he was god's gift like Absent had done with Ehlers doesn't mean we didn't prefer him as our pick.

Ok for the fun of it, lets go see Ministers evolution on this years draft.

I think a guy that we should take a long look at in our likely draft position is Nylander.

From a pure skill perspective there could be a large payoff with him and he fits right in our positional need. It's tantalizing to go for the bigger body or the sniper but a guy who can skate and make plays is going to be a big need for us in 2-3 years.

Based on talent he should be top 6 but will likely slip much like Teravainen did. I think he's realistic for us at 8th or 9th.

He like Nylander. He says his talent is top 6 but he will slip down to 8th or 9th. Which one is it? He didnt say. he says both.

8th, i'd wager.

Once the top 5 go in Reinhart, Eklbad, Bennett, Dal Colle and Draisiatl….

We'll get one of Nylander, Ritchie, Perlini, Fleury, or Virtanen regardless if we slip to 10th.

Any of them will help. I'm not really stuck on one player though I do have my preferences.

Here is a man of his word. A poster to whom there is no guile. For the record he states these are the guys we will get at a draft position from 6th to 10th. Way to narrow it down for us. The precision is uncanny !!!

6. William Nylander

"Outstanding with the puck. When you go to the game as a scout, you want to pay for the ticket just to see him."

• elite offensive tools
  • can make plays at high speed

All the quotes are from scouts and the bullet points are from the little paragraphs about the player written by the THN staff. Damn, that was a lot to type.

Another list predicting Nylander to go 6th. I guess this is where the pros think he will go.

From everything I have read and seen, Ehlers is the steal of the draft. Most people I talk to think he will still be there at #7 which I find incredible considering he can skate as fast as Pavel Bure and has the hands and hockey IQ to match.

Here is my first appearance . I guess I like Ehlers a bit? I dont seem to mention 5 other candidates whom we could or should or might blah blah............I lke Ehlers.

I am a lot less sure of that than you are.

Ready for a top 6 role? Probably not. Ready to play against men? Probably. Ready to apprentice as a 4th liner? Maybe.

It's always best to be more patient than not but I think you severely underrate this player.

Doesnt like Deniro stating Richtie wont be ready. Says he underestimates Ritchie

Frankly, I just know we are going to wind up with a good prospect. I'm not too worried about which one.

This is a man who knows what he wants. Now he has utterly no idea who we will draft. Basically he is ok with anyone. Its ok. Everyone is entitled to change their mind.

No, I'm sorry. It is not.

You can form your own opinions from your available information and experience but don't feel obliged to speak for everyone, please.

It's not for you to state what people do and do not realize. I've seen him play dozens of games, some live, and I form my opinion from that experience and from watching decades of junior players. We've already ascertained that you've never seen him play yet you continue to parrot other people's incorrect report that he needs to work on his foot speed. His skating is not a deficiency.

In my assessment, he is pretty close to being able to play amongst men. I'm not predicting he makes the jump but I'm also not ruling it out. He's that close. And that's my opinion from watching him and knowing full well the difference between the OHL, AHL and NHL.

Speak for yourself, not for other people.

Again, here is a man who says what he means! You can quote him on it!!! Really nails down this prediction.

Congrats. Your posts indicate you recongize the talent. None say that you pick him over the others. Its just more vague double talk .

We have all made posts bemoaning the various good traits of each prospect. That doesnt mean we can rush here in hindsight and said 'we knew it all along'. That would be disingenuous wouldnt it?

However, I never read you BRAGGING that you wanted Nylander all the time, so you really arent the subject of the discussion.

The others have been verified as to being interviewed. Ritchie never was. If he was, I am sure someone will post it.

So in other words you don't have a source that he wasn't interviewed? Thought so.

*sigh* :picard:

Well, that's enough of bothering with that. My ignore list just upped by 1.

Are people really being swayed by the combine?

Why? Interviews?

MacKinnon could have spit in the faces of the all the Avs brass and they still would have selected him.

Pull-ups?

Kindof irrelevant isn't it? The results of all physical tests now are meaningless when compared to when their expected post-development physicality.

I laughed hard when the 'Bennett zero pulluppps!' story blew up.

To me the NHL combine has always been a dog and pony show and it's quite clear why teams in recent seasons have ran their own 'real' combines.

Anyone know if the Canucks were one of these teams? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking certain blessed and privileged teams down south get those.

They shouldn't be. Any opinion they'd formed by this point should hopefully have been based enough in reality that some more interviews and fitness results shouldn't change it, at least not significantly.

I could see being close on a couple of players and having them swap spots in draft order, but not to go from liking Ritchie and Virtanen to wanting Nylander.

But teams aren't allowed to have their own interviews or testing this year. They could observe them play and talk during the season, but there's no more flying prospects in to run your own set of tests on them.

As we move on we see opinions start to develop.

The reason it says 163 is because they look measurements at the start of training camp. He is almost 6ft now and 176.

I am telling you guys Ehlers may very well end up being the greatest talent in the whole draft. If he is still there at #6 or 7 where we pick, we TAKE him and run.

This guy loves Ehlers. Specifically.

7th clinched, do we get 6th?

Perlini please, if not him, I say we go for Ehlers

This post wins most surprising post in the whole thread.

I am not sold on Virtanen , but if Draisaitl is avail at 6 we definitely take him. If not, we draft Ehlers. Ritchie is over rated in my opinion but in all honesty , the same can be said for any pick outside the big 3 and Dal Colle. Its a crap shoot.

Now he introduces one of the top 5 instead of Ehlers. Says Virt and Ritchie over rated but anyone can be called 'over rated' by opinion so it doesnt matter much.

In my opinion Ekblad and Ehlers are the only 2 players with true superstar potential in the entire draft. There are a lot of solid guy s like Dal Colle and Draisaitl , Bennett and Reinhart.

The dark horse to really be a difference maker in the NHL is Nylander.

First look at what I think of Nylander. Along with Ekblad and Ehlers is the superstars of the draft. Doesnt explain the 'darkhorse' though.

My list still hasn't changed much.

1. Reinhart

2. Ekblad

3. Bennett

4. Draisaitl

5. Nylander

6. Dal Colle

7. Ritchie

8. Ehlers

9. Fleury

10. Perlini

11. Virtanen

12. McCann

13. Tuch

14. Barbashev

15. Kapanen

Now has Nylander 5th Ritchie 7th and Ehlers 8th. Has Virtanen 11th. Hasnt stated who he wants to draft.

A few things:

- Ritchie is still being underrated in this thread IMHO. He has game breaker potential and the closest player I can think of in his mold is Brendan Shanahan. The thing is that Ritchie is actually a better skater.

- Nylander is also as talented as any player in this draft. I think he'll take a little while to evolve but he's got possibly the best hockey sense in the draft.

- Ehlers has amazing skill. He reminds me a lot of Hemsky at that age. That makes me wary.

- Barbashev as a mid round pick is as safe as any pick in this years draft. He might not be a top end guy but he's a lock to play.

- Tuch is a great project but expect him to do his full college years.

Thinks Ritchie is a stud , Nylander is the most talented but needs work, Ehlers is super skilled but is Hemsky so he frightened himself thinking about it.

More to follow

Consistency is his biggest issue but that's not uncommon.

Everything else is NHL quality. His shot is a plus, his skating is a plus, his hockey sense is a plus, his physical game is a plus.

He's a very rare package.

The boy is starting to really groove on Ritchie

Wasn't Nylander ranked in the top two at the start of the year?

Here is someone mentioning the fact Nylander is well known to be one of the most talented guys in the draft. Its not some discovery made by Minister . lol

I expect Dal Colle to be chosen 4th and Draisaitl to be drafted 5th.

Elhers should go 6th

First time I actually predict the draft .

Almost no one. Everyone has a question mark.

Reinhart has the ability but he needs to get stronger.

Ekblad can physically. He's better off refining the defensive side of the game and learning to expand his offence as a star in the league.

Draistaitl has the physical and skills package to translate right away but he's till raw defensively.

Ritchie has the body and shot but needs more consistency.

Bennett probably has the most complete game of the bunch.

Ultimately, this year, almost all of these guys should be a year away and spend a year dominating junior. There is little benefit to rush a player into the NHL. It's being done too often IMHO. You should only leave junior/Europe when you have nothing left to learn, or have graduated in age, and there isn't a player that solidly fits that description this year.

Minister starts framing Ritchie as one of the top 5 in terms of his readiness to play in the NHL.

Well I want Dal Colle or Daisaitl if they fall to us somehow, but if they are gone it is a head scratcher.

I pick Ehlers over Nylander simply because he is more dynamic and has the hockey IQ to develop into Nylander as he gets older.

Admit Nylanders amazing skill but convinced Ehlers can skate faster and has translated it to NA ergo will surpass him.

Bob McKenzie's Rankings

1. Aaron Ekblad

2. Sam Reinhart

3. Sam Bennett

4. Leon Draisaitl

5. Michael Dal Colle

6. Nick Ritchie

7. Nikolaj Ehlers

8. Jake Virtanen

9. Kasperi Kapanen

10. Haydn Fleury

Honourable Mentions: William Nylander, Brendan Perlini

The great GURU (when he likes your prospect that is) is convinced Nylander is not a top 10 pick but Ritchie , Ehlers and Virt are.

Wait a minute… you're turning the positive into a negative.

He doesn't rely on his size to score but he does use sometimes so that's bad? If he didn't use it everyone would be saying he should.

His shot and hands are already NHL quality. Name the last PWF drafted that could say that at the time?

Is now exclusively hyping Ritchie

That's fair if you talk about the average player but Ritchie is not the average player. Even if he was 30lbs lighter he'd be in the top 10 conversation.

It's a far bigger risk that little guys will be able to translate their game than bigger guys. All skills being equal though, take the bigger guy, especially if he has the mean streak.

When I hear your argument all I get is that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Might as well be damned for being bigger and skilled instead of smaller and skilled.

Uses the old better to be big than small if everything is equal but of course, it never is equal . Says the guy is so cool he would still be a top 10 at 195 lbs Quite a ringing endorsement.

Personally I think Nylander is the better long term pick but I fully expect the Canucks to take Ritchie if he is there.

And I can fully understand why. He'd be too hard to pass up on.

I'd be very happy with Ritchie, my personal opinion aside.

Now gives a plug to Nylander but now is firmly in the Ritchie camp. He even understands why the Canucks would pick Ritchie. He is mind reader.

Virtanen has other skills too.

His shot is good and his speed is a plus. His physicality allows him to use these skills better. I think his offensive anticipation is also a cut above. What team doesn't want another good skating, goal scoring forward that drives to the net? Everyone does, right?

But Virtanen is somewhere between Oshie and Okposo for me. He isn't a physically dominant NHLer but is built like a tank. Also not a top end scorer.

I don't see him as 1st line star. He'll be a very good supporting player.

Virtanen is not a first line star. He is a supporting guy . Ok.

That's how I see it.

6th is a good spot, right now.

We essentially get the wildcard pick.

Responding to poster who claims we can get a top 5 faller or pick Ritchie. Minister agrees. Wheres Nylander?

Very much THIS.

Responding to someone who claims having Ritchie and Kassian would make sure nobody messed around with our team.

Dear, AbsentCanuck

I'm sure you've heard this before but you are starting to get really annoying. You're making a big deal out of nothing. I honestly have no idea what you're trying to prove with your posts above. Please stop, nobody cares.

Thank You! ^_^

Unless someone from the top five fall, depending who it is..I think there might be a lot of upset people around here if the Canucks take Ritchie at six.

That kid is a very attractive package,,but if we dont take him I hope he goes to the East and saves us from playing against him 5-6 times a year,, he is going to leave his imprint on a lot of players.

I'll say it again, I think Nylander is the best pick at 6th.

I completely expect the Canucks to take Ritchie and I understand why they would. It's not a bad pick and extremely difficult for a scouting staff to pass over.

We are going to take a good player. Our prospect pool will be even better after this offseason from our picks in this draft and any subsequent moves.. I'm confident of that.

Again re iterates his need to have it both ways. Likes Nylander but the Canucks will draft Ritchie and he is so cool he even knows why.

Nylander has the big 3 things I look for: hockey sense, skating and work ethic.

His sundry skills put him over the top.

I expect he will probably slip due to the 'Swedish Factor' but not as far as the 'Russian Factor' would make him. Even so, Kuznetsov was a top 5 pick in his draft. I expect Nylander may slip to 10th but that doesn't mean I think he should or he shouldn't be taken higher.

A man who truely knows what he wants! Nylander might slip down but might not and even if he does could be drafted higher. In other words..........Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers..............

Thank you for the link. Now that we have it actually clarified, surely we can all agree he will take Dal Colle or Draisaitl as his big strong wingers. This is who he is talking about. Not just anyone who fits the description in spite of higher end talent being avail.

This is why he says 'probably'. I have no idea why you guys want to pass up elite talent just because you are in love with 'size' .

He drafts Nyander / Ehlers before he drafts Ritchie. He wont even consider Vit.

Here is a guy who actually says something. Predicts we will pick Nylander, Ehlers before Ritche and certainly before Virtanen. No 'maybes' . No and ifs or buts. No .......well this is what I want but the Canucks blah blah blah blah weenie crap.

The ideal situation would be for us to trade up to acquire another top 10 pick in this draft, say by moving either Kesler to Ana or a d-man like Edler to the Canes.

Then we could take one power and one skill player in a combo, such as Ritchie/Nylander (my preference) or Virtanen/Kapanen or Perlini/Ehlers. Having acquired two top prospects in each draft of the last two years, plus our later round picks, goes a long way towards the future of this team. I believe it can even be done without a major sacrifice to the present.

Moves such as:

Kelser for Vatanen, Ott 1st 2014, Ana 1st 2014

Edler for Riley Nash/ Brock McGinn, 2015 1st/2nd

Sign Paul Stastny, 5 years $6.0 mil

Draft skill-power combo, Ritchie/Nylander - Virtanen/Kapanen - Perlini/Ehlers

Re-sign Kassian, Tanev, Santorelli, Schroeder

Buyout/trade Booth

Here is a man who knows what he wants. He really narrows it down this time. Gives us 6 players to mix and match. You can quote him on it !!!!!

I'm not assuming anything.

My point was that we have lots to work with and many potential options.

Let's see what the new management team is able to do.

As I've said time and again, I prefer Nylander longterm but I fully expect the Canucks to take Ritchie and I'm good with that.

Minister ; I am hedging my bets for later use. Spin Spin Spin...............

Absent....all your proving is that you have no life and need a new hobby. No one cares. You make no sense and just look stupid, your reading comprehension is terrible.

Please stop

see now why do you have to go and insult him right now. just drop it guys. let it go. we're not all going to agree on one kid. and people will change theirnmind all the way up to the minute we draft. I've went from ritchie to virtanen to ehlers to nylander.

Archived