The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whoever ends up with the 4th or 5th picks, and if we get 6th, we should try to move up to 4th or 5th. We need to get someone form the top 5.

I would only trade up to the top 3. Don't see a point in moving up 1-2 spots.

Best Case Scenerio I see is if we don't win the lottery, would be if Florida did.

1)Florida-Ekblad

2)Buffalo-Reinhart

3)Edmonton-Fleury

4)Islanders-Dal Colle

5)Calgary-Ritchie/Bennett/Drasaitl

6)Vancouver- Chance at either Bennett or Drasaitl. Love those chances.

My heart still tells me we should go after Ekblad if we get a top pick. Only player in this draft that has franchise player potential.

Who would be interested in packages like these?

Edler, Hansen, and our 1st (7th) to Edmonton for Yakupov and their 1st (2nd)

Kesler to Anaheim for Etem, Ott 1st (8th), and Ana 1st (26th*)

Edm 1st: Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl

Ott 1st: Virtanen

Ana 1st: Mckeown

Yakupov - Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Etem - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Cassels - Grenier

With a forward group like that it won't be long before we're back in contention. Next year we draft defencemen.

If we win lotto we draft Reinhart.

Teams in the top 5 could potential might want to draft Fleury if Ekblad does not fall to them, EDM could. So those teams would probably trade down to 6-8th and draft Fleury while getting a little extra from the trade.

This is speculation of course

I disagree. I would draft Ekblad. Either keep him or then offer him to the highest bidder. Edmontons 4th overall and their 2015 first lol

I saw this (and other posts like this) on HF citing his offense comes off the rush, and he isn't great at creating his own offense otherwise, which is where the concern about playmaking ability & hockey IQ come in.

And another guy responded to him with this:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=80413843#post80413843

His success comes from running through/going around guys off the rush, which will likely be limited in the NHL, which is where I have concerns about him. His game as it currently stands just doesn't seem like it will translate aswell as some other players might, but thats not to say he can't improve.

The thing about Virtanen though is, when your set in your ways its hard to change, like with someone like Kesler or Booth, you aren't suddenly going to change them and make them a playmaker, and I see Virtanen as that. I see him as someone who can score 25 goals & 40-50 points, but with a #6 or #7 overall I think we can get a better player.

What if we take Virtanen or Ritchie over Ehlers, then Virtanen becomes Hansen, or Ritchie becomes Beniot Pouliot, while Ehlers becomes a poor mans P.Kane or Gaborik type player?

Could go either way. For me we have big players, we need skill, thats why I'm looking to someone like Ehlers or Kapanen with an outside possibly of Ritchie (cause of his wrist shot)

Kapanen sure (I'm hoping we get him, he or Ehlers) I highly doubt Kempe though.

The top end talent is fine, but its not deep like last year, there is a drop off in talent after the 2nd or 3rd round I would say.

I hope to one day splice quotes together like you do lol

At #6, Im still taking Virtanen. At 17, im sure Canucks developement dudes can point him in the right directions still. Kid loves to score goals and we have so much talent jammed on LW already. Lets get some bslsnce and size on the RW.

If he is gone then Im taking Ritchie. We need the skilled mooks to compete with our division

I hope to one day splice quotes together like you do lol

At #6, Im still taking Virtanen. At 17, im sure Canucks developement dudes can point him in the right directions still. Kid loves to score goals and we have so much talent jammed on LW already. Lets get some bslsnce and size on the RW.

If he is gone then Im taking Ritchie. We need the skilled mooks to compete with our division

Really.... Our development guys pointing Virtanen in the right direction.... I am just skimming by, hoping our guys don't screw him up like Hodgson (with his back) or Grabner (wanting him to be more defensive and put on weight, thus losing his speed. NYI told him to lose weight to get his speed up, during his breakout season. It worked.)

Really.... Our development guys pointing Virtanen in the right direction.... I am just skimming by, hoping our guys don't screw him up like Hodgson (with his back) or Grabner (wanting him to be more defensive and put on weight, thus losing his speed. NYI told him to lose weight to get his speed up, during his breakout season. It worked.)

hows grabner doing now? didnt Florida waive him before he even played a game? guy belongs on a bottom feeder.

good points but now we have different management and soon a different coach.

I just dont see Dal Colle being available at #6

And again...we have so many prospects jammed at LW. We need to add a few RW that are actually right handers. Virtanen fits that bill.

Utilizing a player based on his skill set on what he can and cant do....perhaps you pair him with linemates who DO do those things he lacks. Hence chemistry

At age 17 Virtanen has SO much room to grow. And as I have stated before whoever we pick with this draft pick we can safely let develop for 3 years + without worrying about rushing them in to the league early. This goes for Ritchie, Reinhart, Dal Colle Ekblad Tuch Fleury Draistl...literally ANYONE we pick we can safely allow to sit sit in the CHL and AHL and develop properly over time.

So on that note here is to hoping we can somehow get Dal Colle for the Cassels connection and possibly via trade for more picks this and or next year Tuch or someone else at the RW position and allow them to sit in development for 3 years or so.

Nothing could/would be better for the overall health of this club if we could move big value players like Kesler and or Edler for 1st round picks this year and or next year and prospects now.

And then allow them to develop in the CHL and AHL for a few seasons each.

good points but now we have different management and soon a different coach.

I just dont see Dal Colle being available at #6

And again...we have so many prospects jammed at LW. We need to add a few RW that are actually right handers. Virtanen fits that bill.

Utilizing a player based on his skill set on what he can and cant do....perhaps you pair him with linemates who DO do those things he lacks. Hence chemistry

I have stated that for a while.

Virtanen and Tuch in this years draft would enable us, with Grenier, Jensen and Kassian coupled with our depth at LW to draft everywhere else that we need unless a bonafide cannot miss superstar becomes available to us via prospect or pick at those positions.

I think the only way we move up is trading Kesler to Anaheim for, Ott 1st(8th), plus more, and then trading our pick and Ott's to Edmonton.

Assuming Ekblad is gone we can get into the top 3 and Edmonton will be able to get Fleury as well as Ritchie or Virtanen

But would you rather have 2 picks in the top 10 and the chance of getting 2 studs or 1 pick in the top 3 and maybe get a guy that doesn't reach his elite potential?

I think the only way we move up is trading Kesler to Anaheim for, Ott 1st(8th), plus more, and then trading our pick and Ott's to Edmonton.

Assuming Ekblad is gone we can get into the top 3 and Edmonton will be able to get Fleury as well as Ritchie or Virtanen

But would you rather have 2 picks in the top 10 and the chance of getting 2 studs or 1 pick in the top 3 and maybe get a guy that doesn't reach his elite potential?

2 in the top 10 for me

Not gonna give Edmonton more than our 1st and a 2nd in that case. Complete overpayment if we give them 2 firsts just so they can trade down XD

Archived