The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still like Ehlers & especially Kapanen more.

Kapanen has more offensive skill than Virtanen, he's got decent size, not as physical but he's got great speed & skating ability like Virtanen, he's got more competitive drive (questions have been asked about Virtanen's character) which will enable him to reach his potential, and I see his potential as higher.

Ehlers is also more skilled, he's right up in that top class as far as offensively ability, and he's not as small as people make him out to be, we could use that kind of skill, we have guys who are big, can skate, can shoot & hit like Virtanen, I don't see alot of guys like Kapanen & Ehlers in our organization.

I see what you mean and I drool on their talents as well but Im just concerned about durability whenever Ehlers comes across the blue line or goes into the corners and never makes it out alive after NHL size dmen ram the snot out of him. Especially the ones in our division that we have to meet many many many times

I saw this (and other posts like this) on HF citing his offense comes off the rush, and he isn't great at creating his own offense otherwise, which is where the concern about playmaking ability & hockey IQ come in.

And another guy responded to him with this:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=80413843#post80413843

His success comes from running through/going around guys off the rush, which will likely be limited in the NHL, which is where I have concerns about him. His game as it currently stands just doesn't seem like it will translate aswell as some other players might, but thats not to say he can't improve.

The thing about Virtanen though is, when your set in your ways its hard to change, like with someone like Kesler or Booth, you aren't suddenly going to change them and make them a playmaker, and I see Virtanen as that. I see him as someone who can score 25 goals & 40-50 points, but with a #6 or #7 overall I think we can get a better player.

What if we take Virtanen or Ritchie over Ehlers, then Virtanen becomes Hansen, or Ritchie becomes Beniot Pouliot, while Ehlers becomes a poor mans P.Kane or Gaborik type player?

Could go either way. For me we have big players, we need skill, thats why I'm looking to someone like Ehlers or Kapanen with an outside possibly of Ritchie (cause of his wrist shot)

Kapanen sure (I'm hoping we get him, he or Ehlers) I highly doubt Kempe though.

The top end talent is fine, but its not deep like last year, there is a drop off in talent after the 2nd or 3rd round I would say.

I'm right on board with you.

I hope that we pick Kapanen or Ehlers.

I still like Ehlers & especially Kapanen more.

Kapanen has more offensive skill than Virtanen, he's got decent size, not as physical but he's got great speed & skating ability like Virtanen, he's got more competitive drive (questions have been asked about Virtanen's character) which will enable him to reach his potential, and I see his potential as higher.

Ehlers is also more skilled, he's right up in that top class as far as offensively ability, and he's not as small as people make him out to be, we could use that kind of skill, we have guys who are big, can skate, can shoot & hit like Virtanen, I don't see alot of guys like Kapanen & Ehlers in our organization.

If we move up or if Dal Colle and Draistl fall to us we should take them instead. They potentially can play with us next year while Ehlers and Kapanen would take more time.

Also, is it really necessary to look historically at JUST european players, and not just all players shorter than 6 feet that has been drafted in top10 ? You do realize that both Finland and Sweden are countries with a population of less than 10 million? Yakupov went 1st overall 2 years ago, and he's 5'11, he's also Russian if that matters.

First, I was not talking about Europeans rather European Skaters. If you didn't know Yakupov played junior in the OHL. For that matter, Nylander was born in Canada. So I am not entirely sure what Finland and Sweden's population has to do with anything.

The point is that in the past 20 years only 2 European Skaters under 6 feet have went in top 12. Whatever the reason may be teams are reluctant to draft these types of players early. A few arguments has been made, you can agree or disagree, as to why this is the case:

1. They are scouted less

2. The quality of the competition varies greatly

3. The style of the game is different

I hope to one day splice quotes together like you do lol

At #6, Im still taking Virtanen. At 17, im sure Canucks developement dudes can point him in the right directions still. Kid loves to score goals and we have so much talent jammed on LW already. Lets get some bslsnce and size on the RW.

If he is gone then Im taking Ritchie. We need the skilled mooks to compete with our division

Yup, Shinkaruk, so much talent right there...

If anything we have a lot more RW depth than LW depth.

What about picking Fleury if we are 6th or 7th ? For sure he would still be avaible, and is he really weaker than Ehlers, Kapanen, Rithcie, etc...

This would be a good solution I think, we aren't really deep on D-prospect.

(Sorry if I made mistakes, I don't speak english very well...)

Yup, Shinkaruk, so much talent right there...

If anything we have a lot more RW depth than LW depth.

ya...we have Hunter, we have Dane Fox, the college kids we just got from Notre Dame. Now Zalewski, Ronalds Kenins. Guys like Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels are ALL left handers.

Heaven forbid we get a guy with size, who can score and is a right hander..

Listen....I dont want to see yyoucheering when we select Virtanen ok

"Woohooo...so excited to get this guy..."

"This is a great day..."

"Cant miss pick..."

Guys like Ehlers and Kapanen will be selected in the East and flourish there. In this division they get crushed

What about picking Fleury if we are 6th or 7th ? For sure he would still be avaible, and is he really weaker than Ehlers, Kapanen, Rithcie, etc...

This would be a good solution I think, we aren't really deep on D-prospect.

(Sorry if I made mistakes, I don't speak english very well...)

Your English is fine Brother

You must be loving the playoff Hockey over there. How is the league taking to Marc Crawford? How is our boy Ronalds Kenins doing over there?

Archived