The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mismanagement for a while now

NucksinNorway

Something that I've believed even before Gillis' time. A reason why we lack the young prospects in our system is the mismanagement of our assets. How many times have we seen our players walk away at free agency when we could have traded them for picks and or prospects. If they didn't fit into our future plans why not get something for them. There are many examples: Naslund, Ohlund, Salo, Raymond, Mitchell. These players would have all fetched something in return. We could have gotten a lot more for Erhoff had we traded him at the deadline instead of trading his rights when we knew he was asking "too much". There are other examples of this before Gillis as well but none that come to mind and at 12:00 am Norway time I can't be bothered to look up. Our management should have a feel of who will be returning the following season, who fits into "the plan", before the deadline. It seemed when Gillis first got here he had a plan, now he seems to manage a la Nonis style. Quick fixes that really don't even fix....

Something that I've believed even before Gillis' time. A reason why we lack the young prospects in our system is the mismanagement of our assets. How many times have we seen our players walk away at free agency when we could have traded them for picks and or prospects. If they didn't fit into our future plans why not get something for them. There are many examples: Naslund, Ohlund, Salo, Raymond, Mitchell. These players would have all fetched something in return. We could have gotten a lot more for Erhoff had we traded him at the deadline instead of trading his rights when we knew he was asking "too much". There are other examples of this before Gillis as well but none that come to mind and at 12:00 am Norway time I can't be bothered to look up. Our management should have a feel of who will be returning the following season, who fits into "the plan", before the deadline. It seemed when Gillis first got here he had a plan, now he seems to manage a la Nonis style. Quick fixes that really don't even fix....

It's because we have a GM that promises bold moves right before he started doing his first gig. He did try and throw money at Sundin - and that's probably his 'boldest' of moves, aside from an offer sheet trade.

Overall, too much talk and not enough action - and way too many NTCs.

I don't really credit him for trading Schneider for the 9th overall. That was a no-brainer, given the circumstances.

I think Canucks scouting needs to be improved and needs more help.

It's because we have a GM that promises bold moves right before he started doing his first gig. He did try and throw money at Sundin - and that's probably his 'boldest' of moves, aside from an offer sheet trade.

Overall, too much talk and not enough action - and way too many NTCs.

I don't really credit him for trading Schneider for the 9th overall. That was a no-brainer, given the circumstances.

I think Canucks scouting needs to be improved and needs more help.

The trading Schneider could have been done a lot differently as mentioned before. He could have gotten a lot more if he wasn't so stubborn and traded him before the draft. I remember watching the draft and the panel was saying how the other GMs were surprised at how little it cost NJ to get him.

Again this even goes before MGs time

The trading Schneider could have been done a lot differently as mentioned before. He could have gotten a lot more if he wasn't so stubborn and traded him before the draft. I remember watching the draft and the panel was saying how the other GMs were surprised at how little it cost NJ to get him.

Again this even goes before MGs time

Name a team. Any team.

I'll list the players that walked from that team in the last 10 years due to free agency.

I understand what your saying and it seems that every Gm here seems to followed that same routine ,Maybe too much loyalty to the players. From Quinn ,Nonis ,Burkie and now Gillis. I don't know how much we could have gotten for Naslund considering he was already struggling the last three years here. Same could be said of Raymond. Ohlund and Erhoff were two Players they were willing to re-signed ,but the price was to high. As for Mitchell nobody would have taken him at the time because he had a concussion, and also Willie didn't know if he could play again.

No we haven't really done a good job in replacing our departed/declining talent. Not compared to the best teams down south.

We were supposed to though. We supposedly were spending a ton of cash on development etc. So far that's brought about relatively nothing compared to what those other teams have achieved.

This is not news though. A positive is we're getting better. Maybe.

New York Islanders :bigblush:

Okay, how about Chicago Blackhawks?

13-14

Viktor Stalberg

Ray Emery

Carter Hutton

Rostislav Olesz

12-13

Sami Lepisto

11-12

Chris Campoli

Jake Dowell

Jassen Cullimore

10-11

Adam Burish

Antti Niemi

John Madden

Joey Crabb

09-10

Nikolai Khabibulin

Sammy Pahlsson

Martin Havlat

Tim Brent

08-09

Patrick Lalime

Jason Williams

07-08

Michal Handzus

06-07

Curtis Brown

Mark Cullen

Matthew Barnaby

Shawn Thornton

05-06

Stephane Robidas

Scott Nichol

Bryan Berard

Steve Passmore

04-05

Lockout

03-04

Chris Simon

Todd Gill

Andrei Nikolishin

Mike Eastwood

More?

Shall I do the Canucks for comparison?

Vancouver Canucks - (I've listed more marginal NHLers than I did for the Hawks)

13-14

Maxine Lapierre

Mason Raymond

Keith Ballard

Derek Roy

Manny Malhotra

Andrew Ebbett

12-13

Sami Salo

Aaron Rome

Sammy Pahlsson

Mark Mancari

Marc-Andre Gragnani

11-12

Jeff Tambellini

Rick Rypien

Tanner Glass

Alexandre Bolduc

Raffi Torres

Sergei Shirokov

10-11

Willie Mitchell

Kyle Wellwood

Pavol Demitra

Brad Lukowich

Nathan McIver

09-10

Matthias Ohlund

Jason Labarbera

Taylor Pyatt

08-09

Markus Naslund

Brendan Morrison

Brad Isbister

Mike Weaver

07-08

Bryan Smolinski

Brent Sopel

06-07

Ed Jovonovski

Wade Brookbank

Anson Carter

Jarrko Ruutu

Richard Park

Keith Carney

05-06

Brad May

Johan Hedberg

Marek Malik

Martin Rucinsky

04-05

Lockout

03-04

Trent Klatt

Bryan Helmer

Trevor Letowski

Murray Baron

Next?

Who does OP think does a substantially better job than the Canucks?

Archived